Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Orbea mtb found in the Scholarstown Road Dublin 16 area.

If you recognise this bike or know who the rightful owner is, the bike can be recovered from Rathfarnham Garda station.

492434.jpg

Orbea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭micar

Had my 2006 Dawes Giro 500 stolen outside Cineworld o
    Parnell St last Tuesday. The lock had been cut.

It's probably worth less than €100

Same as this but with a few changes.

Blue bar tape. White saddle. Front and rear mudguards. Non matching shifters.

http://www.bikeshd.co.uk/images/2019-09/449626/2290732_thumb.jpg?1567458087

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Sorry to hear that.

I use stands around there a lot and would like to check my own security, was it day or night and how long was your bike unattended? What kind of lock and do you know if they used a grinder ?

site_owner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

I use stands around there a lot and would like to check my own security, was it day or night and how long was your bike unattended? What kind of lock and do you know if they used a grinder ?

Locked at 6.45pm until 9.30pm.

Probably bolt cutters.

I did report it. Hopefully the Guards will have a look at CCTV in the region and will recognise the thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Anyone Missing a Black/blue Giant Avail SL?

Could be a genuine bargain but seems too low at €100

• Advertisement

Anyone Missing a Black/blue Giant Avail SL?

Could be a genuine bargain but seems too low at €100

Saw it a while ago. Now listed as sold

Wonder if the seller knows it's a girls bike.

Also selling this

I was gonna say from his profile he doesn't look like a lad out robbing bikes then saw "selling for me friend" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I think I actually know of a relative one of the guys. If it’s who I think it is, then there’d be good reason to wonder about the provenance of any bikes for sale

Edit:

New listing of it now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've removed several links to ads from posts above - if you think a bike may be stolen, saying so on boards could constitute slander/libel as you've no proof of such.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Kiith wrote: »
    Bike was nicked from the "secure" underground carpark in work today, along with 7 other bikes. ****ers got in via a seperate entrance in the apartments next door, which none of even knew existed. Left the front wheel, which they couldn't get off (Kryptonie lock), but took the rest.

No my actual bike obviously, but this is what it looks like.
    10320914_10203789611474605_780775393916850262_o.jpg

I'm angry now :mad:

I randomly got an email from the vendor (Canyon in Germany) that the Guards have my bike now, 4 years later. Who knows what condition it's going to be in at this stage :eek:

Tried calling Store Street, where i reported it, but they don't seem to have any details. The guy who dealt with it will be in later though. Is there a specific place i should try calling to get info on it?

Got onto the correct people in Store Street, and yeah it's there ready for me to collect, minus a saddle, but plus a wheel which they didn't take. They said it's in pretty good knick as well, so interested to see what it's like when i collect it tonight :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

If anyone lost a pair of wheels off a Giant bike on the quays tonight, outside Dollard & co, contact the Brideswell station. I left details with them of who I saw take them. When will people learn not to use quick attach wheels in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Kiith wrote: »
    I randomly got an email from the vendor (Canyon in Germany) that the Guards have my bike now, 4 years later. Who knows what condition it's going to be in at this stage :eek:

Tried calling Store Street, where i reported it, but they don't seem to have any details. The guy who dealt with it will be in later though. Is there a specific place i should try calling to get info on it?

Got onto the correct people in Store Street, and yeah it's there ready for me to collect, minus a saddle, but plus a wheel which they didn't take. They said it's in pretty good knick as well, so interested to see what it's like when i collect it tonight :D

Well???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

duffmann wrote: »
    When will people learn not to use quick attach wheels in the city centre.

I just lock my front one with the frame and chance the back one. People are less likely to steal a back wheel. Never had any hassle.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Effects wrote: »
    I just lock my front one with the frame and chance the back one. People are less likely to steal a back wheel. Never had any hassle.

I'd always make sure the back one is locked, it's the more expensive of the 2 to replace

Well???

So i got it back, and it is in pretty good condition. Front wheel is totally ****ed (wrong wheel type i think, as it doesn't even fit properly), but considering they left the wheel behind when it was stolen, that's fine. Saddle and post is missing too, but other then that, it's like it was before it was stolen.

Dropped it into a local shop and they are doing a proper service on it, and will replace some bits and pieces. Can't wait to get back on it, as it's been a while since i had a good mountain bike.

Certainly a nice surprise this week :D

GkNccRl.jpg

Seems like reporting the stolen bike to the supplier isn't a bad idea, for anyone else that has had them stolen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,369 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so the gardai emailed canyon with the details of the bike, which is what led to the reunion? if they did, i was not aware that they did so.

so the gardai emailed canyon with the details of the bike, which is what led to the reunion? if they did, i was not aware that they did so.

Yeah, i assume someone in Store Street knew that you could only get Canyon bikes direct from the supplier, and they emailed them asking for my details. Canyon wouldn't give those details out (yay for data privacy :pac:), but they did email me directly to say that Garda had it.

Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nice to have a positive story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I dealt with a Guard in Store St recently, big cyclist nad seems to be going after bike thieves in a big way including any shops that are buying bikes.

Knows his stuff too, he's a mountain biker though, we can't all be perfect I suppose :pac:

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd always make sure the back one is locked, it's the more expensive of the 2 to replace

I find scumbags less likely to take a back wheel as it's slightly more difficult to remove and a dirtier job. I tend to buy wheelsets so always have spares lying around and rear cassettes aren't too expensive.
    I always remove the stickers from my wheels before I fit them as well. Make them look as plain as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I always lock my back wheel and frame when I'm locking up. Back wheels are more expensive is my reasoning and locking both up with a small u-lock leaves no leverage for thieves to try and wrench it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not put 2 locks on or use a chain like you get with the kryptonite...

2 locks will have them go to the next usually.

You're right about the two locks. But for me, I don't want the extra hassle and weight of two locks. Sometimes I'll carry the cable to secure the back wheel, but not that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Think I saw a brown tourer type bike being stolen near the park on Foley St yesterday.
    Young scrote was checking around to see if anyone was clocking him and then jumped on this bike. The kid was looking shifty but I was sure the bike would've been locked but he just jumped on it and cycled (awkwardly) away. Maybe nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Keep an eye out please - worth reading the full thread

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1191792629547184128?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Keep an eye out please - worth reading the full thread

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1191792629547184128?s=19

I've had a bike stolen from there just around the corner, I know other people same. My bike was u locked. Local store told me it was happening with almost daily frequency. I've given serious thought to taking a day off work and heading down there with a camera, an old hybrid and a weak combination lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I've had a bike stolen from there just around the corner, I know other people same. My bike was u locked. Local store told me it was happening with almost daily frequency. I've given serious thought to taking a day off work and heading down there with a camera, an old hybrid and a weak combination lock.

Could possibly round up a bit of company for something like that. I'd be happy to put an hour in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Got a puncture today and my trackpump head is worn so i couldn't get my front tyre to getting-to-town pressure, so I dart-ed in, and Dublin Bike-d around town.
    I locked said Dublin Bike outside Health Matters on Grafton street, and was in for 4 mins precisely. I came out to a kid who had kicked the kickstand out, hand on the bars kicking the lock off trying to steal it! I couldn't believe it. I gave an 'I don't think so' and they walked off, telling me to fcuk off.
    I have to give them points for opportunism!
    It's so sad that their lives are so shyte that this is what they chose to do, in town of a Saturday, at 10 years of age. No child goes at that from a happy place.

your life must be really **** if the sort of bike you're trying to steal is a dublin bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Cian is still down €150 over one of them.

https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1120396041340297218

Advertisement