Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Had my 2008 Giant Bowery Stolen last week from basement carpark in Balinteer. 4/5 other bikes were also stolen .Its fairly beat up looking but still gutted:

Distinguishing features include:

- Short (80mm) bontrager stem
    - Pink/ red anodised pedals with powerstraps (well worn)
    - Black tape around base of seastpost
    - Small bits of yellow tape on forks and rear stays.
    - Some many half shrededd stickers on downtube and top tube.

Stock image below:

2008-giant-bowery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

trinewbie wrote: »
    Had my 2008 Giant Bowery Stolen last week from basement carpark in Balinteer.

Sorry to hear it - can I ask if it was a shop or office or apartment car park?

Apartment block , Gardai mentioned they had numerou report of stolen bikes from similar locations around the development in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PowerhouseT

Hi Guys
    I had my Cube Aerial bike stolen on Friday 17th from our office car park at Leesons street bridge. It is a 59cm black frame with white writing, has a black and white saddle and wheels. We have the guy on CCTV but the guards said it will be almost impossiblie to catch hime as will only get a side shot of his face. He knew where all the cameras were and kept his face covered with his had the whole time.

Does anyone have any idea on how to track down my bike? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciately.

It is so frustrating that these guys get away with it so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Hi Guys
    I had my Cube Aerial bike stolen on Friday 17th from our office car park at Leesons street bridge. It is a 59cm black frame with white writing, has a black and white saddle and wheels. We have the guy on CCTV but the guards said it will be almost impossiblie to catch hime as will only get a side shot of his face. He knew where all the cameras were and kept his face covered with his had the whole time.

Does anyone have any idea on how to track down my bike? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciately.

What about bringing the picture into some local pubs, saying your bike was stolen and asking if anyone knew him? Leeson Street Bridge...hmm... maybe cycle along the canal...

You might try bringing a copy of his picture to the Bridewell garda station, where a garda has started a register-your-bicycle service, so there's obviously more interest than in most garda stations, and ask that garda if the guy is a known thief, and leave his picture with her. Maybe tell her about the 'Fairview bike thieves' piece on Broadsheet as well.

I suspect that if the Gardaí actually started collecting CCTV pictures of bike thieves in action and circulating them around garda stations, they could put a sharp end to this menace in no time.

You could also leave the picture with the main courier firms, like Cyclone - these guys see bikes and notice bikes, and they hate bicycle thieves with an unmatched passion. (There's a story famous among couriers of a courier who left his bike outside an office while delivering a package and came out to find it gone; he got on his radio, and within minutes every cycle and motorcycle courier in town was converging on the thief. He dropped the bike and ran!)

One last thing: get a small spare bike lock, and as you cycle around town, keep an eye out for your bike. If you find it, lock it with your lock and call the gardaí.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys

Try a social media campaign. I know boards.ie doesn't let us circulate pictures of thieves, and I understand why. But there is nothing to stop you circulating this on your own Facebook and LinkedIn pages. Somebody might know him, or some of the press might pick up the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Gaurds not taking bike theft seriously,as long as this continues, we will be in exactly the same position for some time to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ainedh

Hi there,

I had my Lapierre RCR300 bike stolen (standard picture below, not original) from York Street by Stephens Green on Monday, 20th August even though it was in a swipe access area with 2 locks locking it to abike rack. Very gutted. It was a Lapierre road bike with a red frame and white writing and a pair of Ultra Gator skin tyres on it. If nothing has been removed from it, it would still have a Roadrace pump and a slot for an Abus lock and bottle on the frame of the bike.

Guy got caught on CCTV which will hopefully catch him – we’ll see. He also used a spare saddle that he used to prise open the locks and left both this saddle and the 2 sets of locks behind him so the guards have collected these too and been helpful so far.

Can people please keep a lookout for this bike as I have only come across one other identical to it in the time I’vee had it.

Also, can people also suggest any other methods of putting the message out there or what places tocheck where the bike might turn up secondhand?

Thanks!

http://www.vehibase.com/lapierre-rcr-300/photo-1.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

Hi Guys
    You might be able to help. A very good friend of mine had this stolen on him on Tuesday the 21st August

Van Nicholas Yukon 52 cm Titanium
    Difference from the picture shown:

It had Ultegra 6700 groupset throughout, and it had a double (not triple) chainset

It had a black rear rack and black small pannier bag (Vaude)

You can recognise this bike by a slight difference in mudguards, back one was square profile SKS silver with three stripes, and front one was round profile, silver SKS.

Was stolen from Grand Canal Wharf Office Underground Car Park on Tues 21st Aug 2012, between 4pm and 7.30pm.

Thanks for your help in advance

We really need to get as many cyclists together on this and go to the gardaí looking for an action plan; bring the couriers in on it too, co-operate to help the gardaí get easy arrests and convictions in areas that the bike thieves are targeting.

We also need to get people to report - with frame number and photo of stolen bike - both to the local station and to the Bridewell garda who's registering bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Friend of mine had a white Giant Escape 2 stolen from the main street, Drumcondra on Wednesday evening.

He had it locked to the railings outside the GP's surgery with an ABUS d-lock. Bike was gone when he came out, lock hanging on the railing, still locked??

He's locked it though the frame so how did they manage to get the bike?!?

Keep your eyes peeled for someone selling this (in white), thanks:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/escape.2/9321/55770/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 motthead

Hey guys, my Ridley Eos Tiagra (stock image below) was stolen from the the bike racks at the Balally Luas Stop today around 3.30, it was there at 3.15. Totally gutted, have it less than 12months and its the first time I've ever left it locked up somewhere. Anyway Ridley doesnt seem to be a popular brand in Ireland so its probably a rare enough bike around the city so if you see one around the place you might drop me a PM. My bike was the exact same as the stock pick except I had two bottle cages, shimano peddle and a saddle bag on. Also, fixing for Garmin Edge 200 on the handlebars.

P.S. If the person who stole it would like the gps to go with the bag let me know!!!!! We can arrange to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 13 motthead

Sorry pic attached this time i think

Hey guys, my Ridley Eos Tiagra (stock image below) was stolen from the the bike racks at the Balally Luas Stop today around 3.30, it was there at 3.15. Totally gutted, have it less than 12months and its the first time I've ever left it locked up somewhere. Anyway Ridley doesnt seem to be a popular brand in Ireland so its probably a rare enough bike around the city so if you see one around the place you might drop me a PM. My bike was the exact same as the stock pick except I had two bottle cages, shimano peddle and a saddle bag on. Also, fixing for Garmin Edge 200 on the handlebars.

P.S. If the person who stole it would like the gps to go with the bag let me know!!!!! We can arrange to meet

a56.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

That's scummy. I hope you find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 viadd

My bike was stolen from Fishamble street last Thurs between 2 and 7. It's a black raleigh fixie with pursuit bars and a blue fork. Pic attached. If anyone comes across it could they please let me know. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

My bike was stolen last night from the underground car park in Parkgate Place, Dublin 8. It had an Abus lock which was smashed off, but the lock holder is still attached.

It is a black Felt QX60 with a grey crossbar. It has a water bottle holder attached to the handlebars, and I had taken the back tube off so someone may be trying to sell this as is.

This is only three months old and I have more payments to make on bike to work, so really appreciate any help. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Could someone be filling containers for export with bikes and/or bike parts?

There can't be that many, a couple of trackers, gps and otherwise, might address a lot of the thefts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This bike was stolen from Grafton Street on Saturday at around 3pm, has been reported to the police but as you can see, the bike is very distinctive so thought it best to put it here.

Its the only one in Ireland and is a limited edition.

This is for a friend here in work so if anyone sees or hears anything about it drop me a PM or post in here please.

Its a Felt Carhartt edition. Has the usual wear and tear from everyday use.

The only difference from the pictures is the pedals are pink.

819112-373x500.jpg

941046-373x500.jpg

413809-500x373.jpg

seeing_ie wrote: »
    Could someone be filling containers for export with bikes and/or bike parts?

There can't be that many, a couple of trackers, gps and otherwise, might address a lot of the thefts.

Unlikely to justify to costs of exporting, I'd have thought - but who knows. Still, you raise an interesting possibility about tracking - perhaps a 'honeypot' operation might interest some journalists or media?

Unlikely to justify to costs of exporting, I'd have thought - but who knows. Still, you raise an interesting possibility about tracking - perhaps a 'honeypot' operation might interest some journalists or media?

I bet Hector would go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

I wonder would interested cycling clubs be willing to fund a tracker system for the Guards to use in a sting operation? Can't see Garda management forking out the money for it but if they got it donated they would probably be willing to mount an operation to target the thieves...

I wonder would interested cycling clubs be willing to fund a tracker system for the Guards to use in a sting operation? Can't see Garda management forking out the money for it but if they got it donated they would probably be willing to mount an operation to target the thieves...

From what I've read here (eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056738661 ) the Gardaí seem to have little interest in catching bicycle thieves, apart from one garda in the Bridewell station who's offering a registration scheme.

It seems to me that *if* the Gardaí developed an interest in this growing area of crime and wanted to pursue it, the best way to do it would be several well-publicised stings, filmed with hidden cameras and then put on the crimewatch programme and YouTube, and continuing stings, so that it was no longer obvious to ambitious, go-getting young trainee criminals that this was the best area for quick profit and a continuing funding of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

I think you're assuming that all Gardai except the one in the Bridewell are uninterested instead of assuming that all gardai are interested except the one who took that report.
    There is a bicycle registration scheme being set up in Coolock as well by the Gardai. This could lead to a national database which in turn would allow Gardai to return the thousands of bikes they recover each year to the rightful owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

I said for export because it seems that all these thefts couldn't be disposed of on the Irish market.
    Too much risk of the owner spotting their bike for sale.

Maybe someone is giving (small) cash money for bikes and/or parts, then slowly filling a container for the UK/continental market.

Could be totally wrong though. It sounds a bit too "Gone in Sixty seconds":cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone ever been <snip> dont know Dublin too well so it could be a bike shop but I doubt a bike shop would store its bikes piled up like this, Ill see if I can find it on Streetview or Maps.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thargor wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been <snip> dont know Dublin too well so it could be a bike shop but I doubt a bike shop would store its bikes piled up like this, Ill see if I can find it on Streetview or Maps.
    If you have suspicions about a particular establishment or believe there may be stolen bikes at a specific location, notify the Guards. Do not post details here

Thanks

Beasty

From what I've read here (eg http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056738661 ) the Gardaí seem to have little interest in catching bicycle thieves, apart from one garda in the Bridewell station who's offering a registration scheme.

It seems to me that *if* the Gardaí developed an interest in this growing area of crime and wanted to pursue it, the best way to do it would be several well-publicised stings, filmed with hidden cameras and then put on the crimewatch programme and YouTube, and continuing stings, so that it was no longer obvious to ambitious, go-getting young trainee criminals that this was the best area for quick profit and a continuing funding of their business.

So I posted last week about my Giant Bowery getting stolen from the underground carpark of my apartment block in Balinteer. I reported the theft to the Gardai who came up and checked the place over. Whilst down in the car park we noticed a small cctv camera in the corner, the gardai said they would contact he management company to see if they could get footage. I assumed that this would never happen, that nothing would ever happen and doubted a pulse number would even be assigned. Anyhow, got a call today from Dundrum garda station from a separate member of the gardai. They managed to obtain and review the CCTV footage, identify the registration of the van used in the theft, have traced the van to two lads known to gardai and want me to make another statement to facilitate an arrest later this week.

Even if nothing comes of it, its great to see this type of CRIME to be seen for what it is, and that Gardai treat bike theft appropriately. Even if I dont get the bike back Id be happy to see the scumbag who stole it get done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dee22

Hi Guys,

Stateside STS200 - Red with Black fork

Bike stolen from outside a shop in Cork St/Dolphins Barn area yesterday afternoon. Locked to a pole with a pretty bottom of the barrell cable lock. Plastic casing around the lock was either prised or smashed open, leaving the lock free to be removed. Very quickly too, I was only inside the shop for 2 mins!

Not exactly the most expensive bike in the world, but it got me from A to B, am lost without it. If anybody happens to spot it around, any info would be hugely appreciated. Please note lock in photo is not the lock being used when it was stolen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d78ko09jcmz6sju/IMG_20120629_141051.jpg

I think you're assuming that all Gardai except the one in the Bridewell are uninterested instead of assuming that all gardai are interested except the one who took that report.
    There is a bicycle registration scheme being set up in Coolock as well by the Gardai. This could lead to a national database which in turn would allow Gardai to return the thousands of bikes they recover each year to the rightful owners.

Good point. I'm willing to be convinced that gardaí are interested in solving bike thefts - just show me the evidence and I'll be delighted to see it, hear about it and spread the news of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads
    I got this page shared out from a person I know on Facebook;
    The text off the page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3578245137348&set=p.3578245137348&type=1&theater

"PLEASE HELP!!
    two bikes stolen from my house sometime between 25-30 august,
    1st bike Orbea ora with planet x wheels, i have serial no. to check bike i.d.
    2nd bike Boardman comp,"

Advertisement