Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ejbenz

endacl wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's the city's job to recommend common sense. Surely that would be down to the individual?
    i had 2 locks on it already: a chain and a u-lock. but still it's not enough. i suppose it's the city's job to keep us safe, protect our properties - that's why we pay taxes as we can't put the law in our hands, else there will be anarchy. i just thought the notices can serve as reminder and deterrent.

if they can put signs on the streets like "bag your pooh" (the dogs') why not like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

ejbenz wrote: »
    i had 2 locks on it already: a chain and a u-lock. but still it's not enough. i suppose it's the city's job to keep us safe, protect our properties - that's why we pay taxes as we can't put the law in our hands, else there will be anarchy. i just thought the notices can serve as reminder and deterrent.

if they can put signs on the streets like "bag your pooh" (the dogs') why not like this one?

See here
    I feel your pain mate and it's disgusting that these scumbags could act undisturbed in broad daylight: parking the bike in town has become a russian roulette and the gardai don't seem to care

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hey, I'm definitely on your side in this one, and I understand your frustration. The notices to scoop the poop are there to remind dog owners to act responsibly. The signs you propose would need to address the scumbag directly, and those that can read, won't care.

Anybody is quite entitled to park their bike anywhere in the city with as many or few locks as they like, and I'd suspect most think they're locking well and securely. Many of them aren't though. Perhaps a campaign to lock properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Clubmate's bike robbed from Morning Star Road near Cork Street this evening, from the bike rack on the back of the car, cheeky feckers. It's a Garmin team edition Felt F5. It has (probably had) a red scouts.ie sticker on the top tube and no front bottle cage.

Frame number is: WUD6160****

Different wheels were on it tonight, but this is the bike:

249013.jpg

Any info greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tell Leo Varadkar - he's looking for a popular crime campaign.

• Advertisement

darconio wrote: »
    See here
    I feel your pain mate and it's disgusting that these scumbags could act undisturbed in broad daylight: parking the bike in town has become a russian roulette and the gardai don't seem to care
    i called the lady at the garda that i talked to about my bike last night about the cctv i refer to them when i reported the incident, that was last april 9, but as of last night she still has to get from Aldi the cctv footage. i didnt realized it will take that long? Aldi along Parnell St. where my bike was stolen is just about 500 meters more or less from their station at O'Connel St.

endacl wrote: »
    Hey, I'm definitely on your side in this one, and I understand your frustration. The notices to scoop the poop are there to remind dog owners to act responsibly. The signs you propose would need to address the scumbag directly, and those that can read, won't care.

Anybody is quite entitled to park their bike anywhere in the city with as many or few locks as they like, and I'd suspect most think they're locking well and securely. Many of them aren't though. Perhaps a campaign to lock properly?
    you're right, what i hope for the notices is to become some sort of an awareness campaign since no matter how careful we are, there will always be a moment when unwittingly we let our guard down, and that's all the thief needs: just one moment (in time, as the song goes). at least if we have that notice conspicuously posted around, it will keep reminding us all the time, less chances to become complacent. for the last 25 years i have lived and worked in different countries (middle east, asia, north africa, europe) where i use bicycle as much as i can and only in Dublin i lost 2 bikes in a span of 18 months. doesn't speak well for this nice city, sad to say.

i called the lady at the garda that i talked to about my bike last night about the cctv i refer to them when i reported the incident, that was last april 9, but as of last night she still has to get from Aldi the cctv footage. i didnt realized it will take that long? Aldi along Parnell St. where my bike was stolen is just about 500 meters more or less from their station at O'Connel St.

Normally it's a good idea to phone and ask the manager of the shop to hold the footage for that 24 hours, and follow this up with a registered letter to the same manager; then immediately go to the gardaí and tell them you've asked for this and ask them to go for it.

But until Leo Varadkar or his successor actually makes bike theft a priority, the gardaí don't have a huge incentive to stop these profitable thefts.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Al Katraz

Bike recovered thanks to some snooping by an awesome individual whom I won't name so he can hopefully do it again for someone, as well as some helpful Gardaí and a thief who tried to sell it on Adverts the same day.

Normally it's a good idea to phone and ask the manager of the shop to hold the footage for that 24 hours, and follow this up with a registered letter to the same manager; then immediately go to the gardaí and tell them you've asked for this and ask them to go for it.

But until Leo Varadkar or his successor actually makes bike theft a priority, the gardaí don't have a huge incentive to stop these profitable thefts.
    thanks for your post.

who is Leo Varadkar or how can i get in touch w/ him? i'm really desperate to have my bike back, if possible.

still no word from the gardai about the bike or of viewing the cctv from Aldi. store staff doesn't entertain issues about stolen bike, i was directed to the garda when i make inquiries, they also dont provide contact nos. or the like on their website. i guess i wont be going back to their store again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

thanks for your post.

who is Leo Varadkar or how can i get in touch w/ him? i'm really desperate to have my bike back, if possible.

still no word from the gardai about the bike or of viewing the cctv from Aldi. store staff doesn't entertain issues about stolen bike, i was directed to the garda when i make inquiries, they also dont provide contact nos. or the like on their website. i guess i wont be going back to their store again.

Leo Varadkar is the Minister of Transport.

http://leovaradkar.ie/contact-2/

Took 2 seconds to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Medme

Sorry to post again, Trek 1.9 still on the loose. Not too many around so posting pic just in case. Mod if you can edit and ad this to earlier post thats cool, couldn't edit/attach. Its as per pic but had look pedals, ladies saddle, mudguard rear and saddle bag.
    Thanks a mill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

buffalo wrote: »
    Clubmate's bike robbed from Morning Star Road near Cork Street this evening, from the bike rack on the back of the car, cheeky feckers. It's a Garmin team edition Felt F5. It has (probably had) a red scouts.ie sticker on the top tube and no front bottle cage.

Bike recovered! Fair play to the Gardaí, don't know the circumstances but owner is picking it up today.

Leo Varadkar is the Minister of Transport.

http://leovaradkar.ie/contact-2/

Took 2 seconds to google.
    thanks! i'll write him to relate about my experience

thanks! i'll write him to relate about my experience

If you're writing to Leo Varadkar, direct him to this 62-page thread of stolen bikes since April 2011 - considering that boards.ie is a minority-interest forum, this is probably .000001% of the bicycles stolen in that time. If he wants a popular campaign, let him go after bicycle theft, the definitive gateway crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If you're writing to Leo Varadkar, direct him to this 62-page thread of stolen bikes since April 2011 - considering that boards.ie is a minority-interest forum, this is probably .000001% of the bicycles stolen in that time. If he wants a popular campaign, let him go after bicycle theft, the definitive gateway crime.

What we really need is statistics to back up calls for action i.e. X amount of bikes have been reported stolen in this period and there combined value is X euro

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

What we really need is statistics to back up calls for action i.e.
    - considering that boards.ie is a minority-interest forum, this is probably .000001% of the bicycles stolen in that time. .
    Unfortunately throwing out absurd "statistics" like that will probably be counterproductive. If you assume 200 stolen bikes in this thread that would translate to 20 billion bikes stolen "in that time":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Why don't you write to him? The more people that engage and cajole politicians the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Silver grey Giant Rock stolen in Malahide. New maxxis tyres and new xl pedals. Has richies cycles swords id socket on it. Was on a chain. No sign of chain where bike was. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

What people aren't understanding is that almost any lock can be cut in seconds with a cheap battery-powered grinder the size of a pringles can.

New technology has made locks obsolete.

If a thief likes the look of your bike, it's gone.

Solution: Only lock your bikes in secure areas. In the city centre that means supervised car parks.

can mods sticky this? It's been covered loads of times before.

• Advertisement

well this was in a private development with secure entrances in a bike shed ..so doesnt reeally matter what you do. Choices are Have a bike and risk it or dont have a bike....

I've sent a letter to the minister yesterday and to our councilman where I reside at present.

I think if everyone of us here concerned about our bikes will do the same, our statistics will improve, the more chances that they will pay us attention.

Please write the minister and to your councilman, too.

Silver grey Giant Rock stolen in Malahide. New maxxis tyres and new xl pedals. Has richies cycles swords id socket on it. Was on a chain. No sign of chain where bike was. :(
    Welcome to the club!

We are not really recruiting members as we don't want more victims!

But are doing some awareness campaign about bike theft in the city.

Please write to your councilman and to the transport minister about our problems. The more we do, the better our chances of being heard.

im really pissed off about it..that bike came all over Romania with me for last 2 1/2 years and now stolen in malahide! and never gave me a days trouble. Never even had a puncture on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean it couldnt have given me less trouble if i had tried!

Why don't you write to him? The more people that engage and cajole politicians the better.
    YES!

Please join us also. I've written to the councilman in our area, and I've written the transport minister too through the link here provided by Qualitymark.

Now I'm going to write to any councilman I could find in the city directory. Please help, and anybody help, too.

Everyday we read posts about stolen bike, let's do something then! Let's make this bike theft awareness campaign our crusade!

This incidence of bike theft here in Dublin is getting out of hand. We need to campaign for and raise awareness of bike theft, and to let our community council and the transport minister know what's going.

But they will only listen to us if we have a strong voice, and this is measured by our number.

So I enjoined everybody to write every councilman in the city and to the transport minister about this problem. Surely, the more letters they received the more chances that they will do something about it.

I'm suggesting for the city council to post notices around bike racks / stand something like this:

"BEWARE OF BIKE THEFT. LOCK YOUR BIKE AS SECURELY AS POSSIBLE."

Please suggest any other ideas, too.

This incidence of bike theft here in Dublin is getting out of hand. We need to campaign for and raise awareness of bike theft, and to let our community council and the transport minister know what's going.

But they will only listen to us if we have a strong voice, and this is measured by our number.

So I enjoined everybody to write every councilman in the city and to the transport minister about this problem. Surely, the more letters they received the more chances that they will do something about it.

I'm suggesting for the city council to post notices around bike racks / stand something like this:

"BEWARE OF BIKE THEFT. LOCK YOUR BIKE AS SECURELY AS POSSIBLE."

Please suggest any other ideas, too.

Excellent idea; what about suggesting to councillors that a secure GPS scheme should be set up for bikes?

Here's how to find your councillors' emails:

http://www.dublincity.ie/yourcouncil/councillors/yourlocalcouncillors/pages/findyourlocalcouncillorshome.aspx

i received a reply from the office of Min. Leo Varadkar today and i quote:

"Thank you for contacting Minister Varadkar through his website. Minister Varadkar is unable to deal personally with communications from non-constituents unless they relate to his department of Transport, Tourism and Sports."

Is cycling not related to the department of transport in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

buffalo wrote: »

Frame number is: WUD6160****

Different wheels were on it tonight, but this is the bike:

249013.jpg

Any info greatly appreciated!

I believe this had a happy ending with the gardai recovering the bike. Chapeau to the gardai.

• Advertisement

i received a reply from the office of Min. Leo Varadkar today and i quote:

"Thank you for contacting Minister Varadkar through his website. Minister Varadkar is unable to deal personally with communications from non-constituents unless they relate to his department of Transport, Tourism and Sports."

Is cycling not related to the department of transport in this country?

And sport?

Advertisement