Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ylecarre

My bike was stolen yesterday. I bought it 8 days ago only.
    photo.php?fbid=10151596549365921&set=pcb.10151596554065921&type=1&theater
    Make: Lombardo
    Model: Amantea 100
    Black and Blue 20 inches frame with black mud guards.
    Serial Number: SC11B046012768
    Frame No.:130000293492

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ejbenz

ylecarre wrote: »
    welcome to the club, mate.

help us raise awareness of this despicable state we are in these days by writing to our councilors!

here's a link provided here in this forum:

http://www.dublincity.ie/yourcouncil...llorshome.aspx

i think we need to bring this matter to them so they can do something. i have suggested to post notices, Qualitymark here suggested a gps scheme. give us your idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Was it in view of the cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

ylecarre wrote: »

Were you using the same lock as in the pictures? Was it cut with an angle grinder? I have the same lock so wondering how easy they are to cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Hi,

Had my bike stolen. Reported to the gardaí etc. I now see an ad online for a bike matching mine (using a random image from the web). To put it nicely, the person putting it up doesn't have the best grammar or spelling and says in the ad that they need to sell fast. Details are vague.

I'm going to call it but I don't know what I should do if it is mine. Should I inform the guards first? I can't just take it as they'll probably kill me there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Of course inform the gardai! Hopefully they'll come along with you and 'buy' it and arrest the stealer, if it's yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EamonnL

This exact thing happened to me earlier this year.

Get a friend to help you and go take it back yourself.

You should tell the Gardai too but they can't take property off someone without a warrant. And to get a warrant they need to sellers home address. And it will take them a few days to get it all organised by which time the biek will be sold to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ejbenz wrote: »
    welcome to the club, mate.

help us raise awareness of this despicable state we are in these days by writing to our councilors!

here's a link provided here in this forum:

http://www.dublincity.ie/yourcouncil...llorshome.aspx

i think we need to bring this matter to them so they can do something. i have suggested to post notices, Qualitymark here suggested a gps scheme. give us your idea!
    Crap thats my lock aswell, mounted in the same place too, also interested in the details of what happened please...

EamonnL wrote: »
    You should tell the Gardai too but they can't take property off someone without a warrant. And to get a warrant they need to sellers home address. And it will take them a few days to get it all organised by which time the biek will be sold to someone.

So what was happening here?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/01/meanwhile-on-parnell-street/

For what it's worth, I rang the guard I reported the bike stolen to. She said if the ad was a match for my bike, I could arrange to meet them and she would go along with me. I gave her the phone number of the ad and she said if it came up on their directory it would be easy for them to get a warrant that day. (the number did not match anything)

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

EamonnL wrote: »

You are wrong in what your saying. Only need a warrant to enter someone's home. Defo calls the Gardai and catch the scumbag with the bike. Happens all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EamonnL

I don't know. I'm just sharing my experience. The guards did follow up with me a few times and they tried to get the contact details of the person who posted the ad from adverts.ie. I was even contacted by a sergeant from a task force who took over the case. This was all weeks after the bike was taken and it had been sold online without me being able to contact the seller.

When I went to the Garda station with the ad of my bike for sale they said they would look into it but said that without the sellers contact details or home address there was little they could do. I was told they could not take property off people on the street just because they suspect it is stolen. The Garda I was dealing with suggested that if it was his bike and he saw it for sale online he knew what he would do . Wink. Wink.

I doubt they set up elaborate sting operations every time someone has a bike stolen.

My personal advice would still be that if you can pose as a buyer and get a mate ( or better yet if a friend or family member is a Garda ) to accompany you, you are much more likely to get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Hi all ,I was out walking the dog earlier along grange road, and there was a child's bike lying on the grass verge, a man in a car stopped and put it on the back seat, if anyone knows who owns the bike, I have the reg etc

Just wondering does anyone know where the guarda reserve of bikes are held and can you view them at any time?

I just saw this auction and seeing as I don't have a serial number for my bike I live in hope it might have been found.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/4923003

Just wondering does anyone know where the guarda reserve of bikes are held and can you view them at any time?

I just saw this auction and seeing as I don't have a serial number for my bike I live in hope it might have been found.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/bicycles/4923003

The Gardaí have a Flikr page for bikes they've found:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157625091734993/detail/

though it doesn't seem to have been updated since October.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a central Garda section for bicycle theft; their reaction seems to be scattered and a little disorganised and random.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The Gardaí have a Flikr page for bikes they've found:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157625091734993/detail/

though it doesn't seem to have been updated since October.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a central Garda section for bicycle theft; their reaction seems to be scattered and a little disorganised and random.
    Nice old Battaglin steel frame in there. The rest? Canal fodder. Proof that scummers only nick bikes because they're scummers. Who wouldn't know a good bike from a bedframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

3 bikes robbed earlier tonight in Finglas East

Canyon Roadlite 7.0 2012 black
    Giant crs 2.5 hybrid blue 2008
    Ladies Giant crs 1.0 hybrid wine 2009

Tyres on the Canyon are now GP4000 front and back
    mobile_phone_1196.jpg

mobile_phone_1265.jpg

mobile_phone_1272.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

De Bhál wrote: »
    3 bikes robbed earlier tonight in Finglas East

Canyon Roadlite 7.0 2012 black
    Giant crs 2.5 hybrid blue 2008
    Ladies Giant crs 1.0 hybrid wine 2009

too sick to post photos

will do tomorrow

Ah jaysus, hope they come back to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

endacl wrote: »
    Nice old Battaglin steel frame in there. The rest? Canal fodder. Proof that scummers only nick bikes because they're scummers. Who wouldn't know a good bike from a bedframe.

I'd say it proof that the scummers do know good bikes and get rid of them before the police come knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

amjon. wrote: »
    I'd say it proof that the scummers do know good bikes and get rid of them before the police come knocking.

Proof at least that they're scum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭noc231073

If your are in the market for a bike and buying secondhand on Donedeal etc....
    Can you check the serial number of the bike with the Gardai before you purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ddartt

Now this is getting totally ridiculous!

My new bike got stolen as well - from the same place! But this time the scumbags went for some trouble doing this - smashing the bolt on the shed, then destroying the wall anchor and finally carrying bike away with an alarmed chainlock! What a lot of trouble for a not the most expensive bike...

Anyway, Garda is aware, but if you happen to notice anything, please give me a shout!

Its pretty much standard Carrera Vengeance, the only non-stock items are saddle (Selle Italia Carve) and pedals (clipless Shimano).

Some pics from the manufacturer website:
    266077?$PDP_MAIN$

I guess I won't be keeping a bike there anymore, first time I thought its coincidence, now Im sure the shed is being targeted irrespective of any security....

ddartt wrote: »
    I guess I won't be keeping a bike there anymore, first time I thought its coincidence, now Im sure the shed is being targeted irrespective of any security....

Motion-triggered webcam in the shed, sending pictures/video to a dedicated email address?

Anyone ever consider GPS tracking for their bike?

Was looking at this site http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

You need a sim card. It would be a handy device though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Motion-triggered webcam in the shed, sending pictures/video to a dedicated email address?be ready with a 3 iron

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Good idea but way too pricey for a casual cyclist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

They would be handy for setting up a trap. Also I would be interested to know how long a battery would last as they would be transmitting coordinates on GSM Dublin bikes have them fitted but they are charged from the dynamo which automatically power up once the bike is moved.

They would be handy for setting up a trap. Also I would be interested to know how long a battery would last as they would be transmitting coordinates on GSM Dublin bikes have them fitted but they are charged from the dynamo which automatically power up once the bike is moved.

Battery

The tracker contains a rechargable lithium battery and comes with a charger. The tracker can go for months between charges so long as you remember to disarm the tracker before riding your bike

I think it's a good idea, especially if your bike is quite expensive. It is a bit pricey though.

How d'you mean you need a SIM card - does it not just send a message to your phone? A bit of a nonsense if you have to pay €50 a year on top of buying the thing!

• Advertisement

I guess it needs to use some network to get gps or something. It sends you a text when it's moved and you can follow the path on a link on their website to see where it has gone. I'm beginning to feel like a salesman! I just want to make sure that if my next bike is stolen, like my phone, I want to be able to track it to a specific location.

Advertisement