Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How d'you mean you need a SIM card - does it not just send a message to your phone? A bit of a nonsense if you have to pay €50 a year on top of buying the thing!

Why would you need to spend €50 - it hardly uses any data or text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

I've been told that all these bikes that are getting stolen are destined for the continent. They're apparently store and ship the bikes in container so no GPS reception. kinda makes sense as I've never heard of somebody recovering a stolen bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

topcat77 wrote: »
    I've never heard of somebody recovering a stolen bike.

Start at post #1 on this thread and read through. They're few and far between, but there have been good news stories...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Why would you need to spend €50 - it hardly uses any data or text messages.

The website talks about €4.something a month, I think?
    I've been told that all these bikes that are getting stolen are destined for the continent. They're apparently store and ship the bikes in container so no GPS reception. kinda makes sense as I've never heard of somebody recovering a stolen bike.

Wouldn't there be GPS reception again once they arrive on the Continong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sinead0305

Bike Stolen from Jones Road Drumcondra at 18:35 on May 2, 2013. Culprits 4 - arrived into area in blue van transit van with broken right tail light possibly 02/03. Entered Jones Road off North Circular Road onto Russel Street circ 18:20. Drove up and down Russel Street & Jones Road a few times then at 18:25 parked opposite Advance PitStop. 2 wearing Grey Hoodies 1 with sweat pants 1 with workpants (snickers type) walked down Stadium side of Jones Road to Hogan Stand main entrance and stole bike. 1 rose away other was in work pants was the watch out and walked back up Jones road on the Hotel side. Kellys Cliff black Grey & Lime green
    Any information appreciated if seen for sale or conact Gardai at Mountjoy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

any reason why you just watched them and let them get on with it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

IM0 wrote: »
    That could be a description based on CCTV recordings rather than an eye witness report

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sinead0305

The circumstances are based on the CCTV footage from the stadium which is with the Gardai. I have been advised that the bike is most likely not to be found for sale online but probably at Ballybriggan or other markets. Just wanted picture out there to see if someone might see it

IM0 wrote: »

Maybe Sinead didn't feel equipped to tackle two grown men on her own?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Not sure if you are all aware but there is a bicycle registration scheme starting in Coolock Garda Station. There has been a piece on Near FM and in the Northside People about it. Starts this Saturday. Just go to the station between 10am and 2pm with your bike and I.D. if you have it. Proof of purchase would probably be a good idea if you have it.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 aly13

My husband's bike was just stolen a lovely red argon 18 road bike with brown brooks saddle on pembroke road ballsbridge tonight 9 May - anyone who can give information or return the bike a reward will be given and a donation to crumlin children's hospital! !! This is a genuine post! See photo of bike itself! Appreciate all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Paranoid Mandroid

Sorry to hear this, so annoying. Post same in the stolen bikes thread here. Possibly a low number but some people do get their bikes back. Keep an eye on donedeal etc. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

I'll keep an eye out because I work around there. What kind of lock did you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aly13

It was a combination lock! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

aly13 wrote: »
    It was a combination lock! !

Without a U lock you have no chance, those Combos are dirt & they get through them in no time with a small bolt cutters.

I'll keep an eye out.

The only effective combination lock is a combination of two proper locks. Should be illegal to sell the yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Good idea but way too pricey for a casual cyclist

We've used the spy lamp device in work to track a stolen bike via google earth to a garden shed in north Dublin.:) if you've spent €2k plus on a bike a couple of hundred euros on a tracker of some sort is not a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Is there anything realistically been done in Dublin to combat bike theft?

It seems to be an epidemic free for all for the scumbags. It’s got to the stage now where the victims are to blame for not having an expensive lock.

Is it time for some form of group to be formed in Dublin to watch out for each others bikes and stand up to the parasites that rob other peoples hard earned transport e.g a neigbourhood watch bike scheme

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Lambretta wrote: »
    Is there anything realistically been done in Dublin to combat bike theft?

It seems to be an epidemic free for all for the scumbags. It’s got to the stage now where the victims are to blame for not having an expensive lock.

Is it time for some form of group to be formed in Dublin to watch out for each others bikes and stand up to the parasites that rob other peoples hard earned transport e.g a neigbourhood watch bike scheme

Any thoughts appreciated.

Set up a Facebook group. People can report sightings of bike theifs etc there. Boards won't allow it, but you'd get away with it on FB as FB is too big to give a **** unless the page is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Postit

griffin100 wrote: »
    We've used the spy lamp device in work to track a stolen bike via google earth to a garden shed in north Dublin.:) if you've spent €2k plus on a bike a couple of hundred euros on a tracker of some sort is not a bad idea

Just had a look and in theory it sounds like a great idea. The steerer tube version works out at €144.72 delivered. All you need then is a pay-as-you-go SIM, so add another €10 or €20 there.

Like you say, for a €2,000 + bike its a good investment to work in tandem with a decent Kryptonite or similar.

Not so sure about the rear light version. I reckon that'd get stolen by itself!

I wonder though if the steerer tube version would fit most road bikes? Anyone care to have a look and advise?
    Spybike_Instructions_2.pdf

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Products.jsp

• Advertisement

Postit wrote: »
    Just had a look and in theory it sounds like a great idea. The steerer tube version works out at €144.72 delivered. All you need then is a pay-as-you-go SIM, so add another €10 or €20 there.

And if you already have a mobile phone with a SIM in it? This is what puzzles me - do you need to get an extra SIM and phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

And if you already have a mobile phone with a SIM in it? This is what puzzles me - do you need to get an extra SIM and phone?

The SIM card is inserted into the tracking device and sends a text message to a number of your choosing when motion is detected. That's why you need the SIM card; to send the text from the GPS device.

nicol wrote: »
    The SIM card is inserted into the tracking device and sends a text message to a number of your choosing when motion is detected. That's why you need the SIM card; to send the text from the GPS device.

So the device is going to cost you... what do Pay-as-you-go SIM cards cost to run, per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,651 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

So the device is going to cost you... what do Pay-as-you-go SIM cards cost to run, per month?

Nothing. The whole point of pay as you go is that you top it up, and it only charges you for a text when it's sent. So basically you buy the sim, put a fiver credit in it, and away you go. A text only costs 11c or so, so unless you're going to wait until the bike's been used by the thief over 50 times you're grand.

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Nothing. The whole point of pay as you go is that you top it up, and it only charges you for a text when it's sent. So basically you buy the sim, put a fiver credit in it, and away you go. A text only costs 11c or so, so unless you're going to wait until the bike's been used by the thief over 50 times you're grand.

You'll have to top up every few months or the sim will be cancelled, and the number reassigned. Has happened me a few times now.

stetyrrell wrote: »

Ah! I like that price!

Edit: though of course I hope there's a way of cancelling the SIM if the bike never comes home!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

Honestly rue having to post this but that's life.

My Fuji sportif 1.3 size 53 was stolen.

http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/sportif_13_c

My beloved Fuji was robbed outside my aunts house at around 2pm today. In the Maryland area of D8 by, wait for it, A kid of at most 12 to 13 years old....

All stock except for a pannier rack (grey), One mudguard at the back. A dark blue bottle cage.

Second bike to be robbed from me in the space of a year. Lovely stat.

Thank you people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Did you have it locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

Nope, I popped into my aunts for a glass of water and looked out the window to see the kid run in and take it, literally stepped into the door. My own fault for trusting kids nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

karl_m wrote: »
    My own fault for trusting kids nowadays.

To be honest, in my opinion, you are the last one to be blamed :(

Advertisement