Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

griffin100 wrote: »
    We've used the spy lamp device in work to track a stolen bike via google earth to a garden shed in north Dublin.
    Don't leave us hanging - what happened next?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭unichall

Just to make guys aware of a major pit fall in the GPS trackers

I am aware of an incident where a bike was robbed and tracked to an apartment complex in town but the building it was in had 15/16 apartments in it and without knowing which one the gardai could not get a warrant so while they were sure it was there they couldn't do much about it at the time. Said they would need to wait for it to be moved again and be out in the open and to ring them...

Dont know if it was ever recovered after that. Obviously if it is a more open area it makes it easier but how accurate is mobile GPS +/- 5metres?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

So, 2 of my bikes got stolen from our back yard last night (totally enclosed, must have come in over the roofs of neighbouring houses) in Dublin 8, so could ye keep yer eyes open for:

Pink Planet X Sl Pro Carbon (L)
    -Full SRAM Rival
    -Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels
    -Fizik Arione Saddle
    'Tiny Explosions' sticker on the top tube
    3468585179_0db99cae3f_b.jpg

Green Mercian King of Mercia Converted to Fixed Gear
    White Deep V rims, black hubs
    Narrow bars, single gold finger brake lever
    Charge Spoon Saddle
    3175390230_053b47d5fb.jpg is the frame of the FG.

Cheers folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

chances are they live in the area ..... I've been robbed a number of times when I lived along the quays (D8 Also) .... its usually a group of kids (u18) who are nothing but scum and bored.

and if caught ...slap on the wrist - they are only kids FFS !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

lesson to all, lock your bikes! even when they are 'safe' in your back garden

that sounded dirty :o

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    lesson to all, lock your bikes! even when they are 'safe' in your back garden

that sounded dirty :o

Yup, even if your garden is a totally enclosed courtyard, surrounded on all sides by other houses -seems the thieves like climbing over roofs to get access!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sorry to hear that Tiny, hope you find the scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Yup, even if your garden is a totally enclosed courtyard, surrounded on all sides by other houses -seems the thieves like climbing over roofs to get access!
    .... or live in one of the other houses perhaps....
    .......... .or... is it possible one of the other houses was empty or even broken into and they decided to see what else was available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

@Tiny Sorry to hear about your bikes. I'll certainly keep an eye peeled in the usual spots.
    Feel gutted.:mad::mad::mad:

The Mercian is back!

Thanks to some eagle eyed locals, I have the mercian back -still no sign of Pinky though ;(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

The Mercian is back!

Thanks to some eagle eyed locals, I have the mercian back -still no sign of Pinky though ;(

Congrats on the recovery. Hopefully the pretty-in-pink appearance will help in the recovery of the Planet X.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

kenmc wrote: »
    .... or live in one of the other houses perhaps.....

Much more likely scenario tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1 the_psyclist

Hello,

My name is David. My Kellys Neos was stolen from Wellington Quay, near the Clarence Hotel / Workman's Club last Friday evening [May 10th], between 7pm and 10:30pm. It was locked with a Kryptonite U-lock on the frame, and cable round both wheels, locked to the silver posts just on the corner of Wellington Quay and the Capel St bridge.

I'm new to Boards. A friend told me about this forum. This is the first time I've had a bike stolen... Do bikes often get recovered?

I've got a photo of my bike, and I've reported it to Pearse St Garda station... I have the serial number too.

Please let me know what you think I should do from here. I've been keeping an eye on websites like Gum Tree, Adverts, and Done Deal, for used bikes, and the Gardai's recovered bikes photstream, but haven't spotted it yet...

Thanks for your help

-david

BJ_cWJqCcAARtHp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ninap

Hello,

My name is David. My Kellys Neos was stolen from Wellington Quay, near the Clarence Hotel / Workman's Club last Friday evening [May 10th], between 7pm and 10:30pm. It was locked with a Kryptonite U-lock on the frame, and cable round both wheels, locked to the silver posts just on the corner of Wellington Quay and the Capel St bridge.

I'm new to Boards. A friend told me about this forum. This is the first time I've had a bike stolen... Do bikes often get recovered?

I've got a photo of my bike, and I've reported it to Pearse St Garda station... I have the serial number too.

Please let me know what you think I should do from here. I've been keeping an eye on websites like Gum Tree, Adverts, and Done Deal, for used bikes, and the Gardai's recovered bikes photstream, but haven't spotted it yet...

Thanks for your help

-david
    ]

I think you've done everything you can for now. Question of luck if you get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

It appears to be a free for all in this City - is it now time for some form of Dublin City against bike theft group/campaign to be formed ? - I honestly do not see many alternatives and this is no disrespect to the Garda but unless cyclists start really watching out for other cyclists bikes and start standing up to the parasites the situation will worsen.

I know the situation is not helped by the fact that bike robbers are deemed to be low level criminals or jack the lads by the heads that buy these bikes - it is time to start treating them like the scum they are. Can they be named and shamed after public prosecution?. Can they be relegated to the real criminals they are in any other legal manner ?

Is it time to increase the fine for being in receipt of stolen goods?

How about a petition to the minsister of justice about the situation which has now got so bad that bike theft victims are now blamed for not having a good enough lock - how pathetic is that? What exactly are we paying very high taxes for?

Has anyone any thoughts on the above to attempt to stop bike theft in Dublin?. This boards.ie thread appears to be the only medium of any form of opposition (and fair play to boards.ie) against this joke of a situation where people's hard earned honest money is being taken from them at will.

Hello,

Thanks for your help

-david

BJ_cWJqCcAARtHp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

I agree something must be done about it. Something like this though has no quick fix and as you mention would need to be addressed on many fronts. There is no easy solution as bikes unlike cars are hard to detect.
    The penalties and punishments for bike theft should be increased as they are clearly not working. A lot of the bikes must be going abroad and I've been told they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭karl_m

darconio wrote: »
    To be honest, in my opinion, you are the last one to be blamed :(

Thank you, much appreciated. Would have preferred it to be an adult who stole it, I would have at least expected it. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 catc3

Hi, just found this thread after discovering my bike was stolen last night. I know this is a long shot, but I thought I would add details of my bike on here. It's a small Giant Dash 4 woman's hybrid bike, and it was stolen from the underground car park in The Crescent, Fortfield Square in Terenure on the 15th of May. It was locked. When I phone the Gardai they told me that I was the second person today to report a stolen bike from there. I have only had it for five weeks and was enjoying cycling to work. If anyone has any information I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Catriona

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

I am surprised that no one has come up with the idea of building an entrapment bike to catch thieves. Something built from eye catching but worn out or damaged components and left somewhere under CCTV or have a tracking device fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I am surprised that no one has come up with the idea of building an entrapment bike to catch thieves. Something built from eye catching but worn out or damaged components and left somewhere under CCTV or have a tracking device fitted.

That would be too sensible now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 LugsB

That's a great idea. Would be ideal if the Gardai were given resources to carry out sting operations like this. I'd actually contribute money towards it, I pay enough income and property tax anyway. Would happily pay a bit more to fund targeted campaigns with obvious benefits and clearly proven results. Very easy to have critical success factors based on arrests, returned property and convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

LugsB wrote: »
    That's a great idea. Would be ideal if the Gardai were given resources to carry out sting operations like this. I'd actually contribute money towards it, I pay enough income and property tax anyway. Would happily pay a bit more to fund targeted campaigns with obvious benefits and clearly proven results. Very easy to have critical success factors based on arrests, returned property and convictions.

Over in London they have a seperate department in the police force called the Cycle Task Force, and this is basically what they do, they set up decoys and watch thieves, and also help people to recover stolen bikes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

LugsB wrote: »

I have a Mavic ksyrium rear wheel with rim damage that would be perfect for this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Lambretta wrote: »
    It appears to be a free for all in this City - is it now time for some form of Dublin City against bike theft group/campaign to be formed ? - I honestly do not see many alternatives and this is no disrespect to the Garda but unless cyclists start really watching out for other cyclists bikes and start standing up to the parasites the situation will worsen.

I know the situation is not helped by the fact that bike robbers are deemed to be low level criminals or jack the lads by the heads that buy these bikes - it is time to start treating them like the scum they are. Can they be named and shamed after public prosecution?. Can they be relegated to the real criminals they are in any other legal manner ?

Is it time to increase the fine for being in receipt of stolen goods?

How about a petition to the minsister of justice about the situation which has now got so bad that bike theft victims are now blamed for not having a good enough lock - how pathetic is that? What exactly are we paying very high taxes for?

Has anyone any thoughts on the above to attempt to stop bike theft in Dublin?. This boards.ie thread appears to be the only medium of any form of opposition (and fair play to boards.ie) against this joke of a situation where people's hard earned honest money is being taken from them at will.

This is the second time you've mentioned this here. Seriously, get off your arse and get the campaign started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

http://www.change.org/start-a-petition is a place for online petitions. Not sure how it all works, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Have just seen this lad from my bus window, about 90% sure he was trying to sell this bike on D'Olier street.

Anyone recognise their bike??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No pic in your post...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Shinaynay wrote: »
    Have just seen this lad from my bus window, about 90% sure he was trying to sell this bike on D'Olier street.

Anyone recognise their bike??
    Do not post any pictures of alleged bike thieves - please read the Opening Post and contact the Guards if you believe you have evidence of such

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kirwan85

Hello,

I had a Lavender coulour Raleigh Elan mint condition stolen from my garden last night and am sending an email around in case someone someone sees it or of it shows up somewhere. It's a pretty specific bike and colour. Here are the specs

Frame size: 55.5cm /56cm or approx. 22 inch
    Frame Colour: Purple Lavender
    Bar & Stem: Raleigh stem and Aluminum bars
    Saddle Post: Campognolo
    Saddle: Selle Italia Flite

Gearing set: Shimano Exage 300EX
    Crank set: Bio Space Shimano 40 -52
    Cassette: 7 Speed 21-19-17-15-14-13-12 speed
    Rims: Alesa Rims, Made in Belgium
    Hubs: Shimano

If you come across it I would really appreciate a call it's very special to me, I have the serial number. Thanks for your time,

Kevin Kirwan

<snip>cleardot.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kirwan85

kirwan85 wrote: »
    Hello,

I had a Lavender coulour Raleigh Elan mint condition stolen from my garden last night and am sending an email around in case someone someone sees it or of it shows up somewhere. It's a pretty specific bike and colour. Here are the specs

Frame size: 55.5cm /56cm or approx. 22 inch
    Frame Colour: Purple Lavender
    Bar & Stem: Raleigh stem and Aluminum bars
    Saddle Post: Campognolo
    Saddle: Selle Italia Flite

Gearing set: Shimano Exage 300EX
    Crank set: Bio Space Shimano 40 -52
    Cassette: 7 Speed 21-19-17-15-14-13-12 speed
    Rims: Alesa Rims, Made in Belgium
    Hubs: Shimano

If you come across it I would really appreciate a call it's very special to me, I have the serial number. Thanks for your time,

Kevin Kirwan

<snip>cleardot.gif

Update (It was stolen in the Sandymount/Ringsend area last night between 12am and 7am)

Advertisement