Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Terrible interview he only echoed what we already know.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Terrible interview he only echoed what we already know.

Oh, I don't know...

It did advocate common sense. Next time you walk around town, take note of the number of bikes you could have in less than five minutes, using only a pliers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

A quick note on the efficacy of the through-the-back-triangle locking technique.

Our apartment complex was targetted last night, three bikes nicked (one brand new), one car broken into. Seems they had a van and plenty of time. They were known by the trail of smashed cable locks and cans of Red Bull.

They used a brick to smash the ****ty locks and a bolt cutters for the more 'sophisticated' ones. They put a lot of effort into the missus' bike, with the child seat still on it and everything. It had an orange Kryptonite u-lock through the rear triangle on the wheel, with a Kryptoflex looped on it through the front. The stupid ****ing ***** chopped the cable, un-quick-released the back wheel, and did a lot of yanking before they realised you can't nick the frame even if it looks like the u-lock is only holding the rear wheel.

So, luckily for us, no nicked bikes, but I'll have to give hers a good going over before it's ridden again, especially with junior on it. So just a reminder maybe to 1) u-lock all the way, and 2) try including the seat tube as well as the rear wheel in the lock to avoid getting thieves' hopes up and potential damage to your bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so what would be the best lock to use in a situation where portability is not an issue? i assume there are none immune to an angle grinder?
    my main aim would be to slow any potential thieves down as much as possible; the bikes will be locked in a garage at the side of the house. the doors are alarmed, too, for what that's worth.

so what would be the best lock to use in a situation where portability is not an issue? i assume there are none immune to an angle grinder?
    my main aim would be to slow any potential thieves down as much as possible; the bikes will be locked in a garage at the side of the house. the doors are alarmed, too, for what that's worth.

This or this. Though realistically, the orange Kryptos are pretty good too. In you case, maybe consider installing an anchor in the floor of the garage?

Angle grinder + time = any bike you want, unfortunately. Our scummers at least had the cop to realise there was plenty of low-hanging fruit to be had without waking the whole place up firing up a grinder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

oflahero wrote: »
    In you case, maybe consider installing an anchor in the floor of the garage?
    yeah, that's the plan. i've seen anchors in hardware stores, and a chap i know said he'd be able to get me a hefty piece of reinforced steel i could put in a bucket and pour cement in on top of, with a loop sticking out from on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

This or this. Though realistically, the orange Kryptos are pretty good too. In you case, maybe consider installing an anchor in the floor of the garage?

Amazon have the full size Kryptonite New York U-Lock for sale. Got it a few weeks back to supplement my Krypto Series 2 with flex cable and secondary cable lock. I sleep a little better at night. This thread has made me so paranoid.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-York-Standard-Flexframe-Bracket/dp/B005YPK9SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375177217&sr=8-1&keywords=kryptonite+lock+new+york

Down from 89.99stg to 46.97stg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Posting on behalf of the OH, whose bike was stolen yesterday in Dublin city centre.

Time: Between 9:00 am and 5:30 pm.

Giant Avail, Ladies' frame.
    Year: 2011 (?).
    Colour: Metallic grey/silver.
    Size: Small (possibly XS, but I don't think so).
    Other details: Shimano gears (not sure what version, but I think they were 2300); Skinny black mudguards (fixed, not clip-on); single wire bottle cage on the down tube (one side broken); white bar tape, with some noticeable wear on one shoulder; lock mount on seat tube; toe clips; cheapo black saddle with some damage and a bit of yellow tape on the rear (plastic bag covering it at the time of the theft).

She reported it to two passing Guards, who took a full report on site, and checked with nearby shops in case they'd seen anything, but to no avail. (No avail, geddit?!)

I've checked Gumtree, Done Deal and Adverts, but nothing is showing up so far.

No pics of the actual bike. These were pinched from the internet.

Any info or leads appreciated.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grodge

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Posting on behalf of the OH, whose bike was stolen yesterday in Dublin city centre.

Time: Between 9:00 am and 5:30 pm.

Can I ask what lock was used and how they got the lock off? From following this thread there seems to be an number of good quality (Gold rated) locks cut with an angle grinder.

grodge wrote: »
    Can I ask what lock was used and how they got the lock off? From following this thread there seems to be an number of good quality (Gold rated) locks cut with an angle grinder.

It was an Abus U-lock, not sure what type, but reasonably good quality. I'm not sure how it was opened as there was apparently no evidence of the lock at the scene of the crime.

(The possibility that the bike was inadvertently left unlocked therefore can't be fully discounted.)

It was an Abus U-lock, not sure what type, but reasonably good quality. I'm not sure how it was opened as there was apparently no evidence of the lock at the scene of the crime.

(The possibility that the bike was inadvertently left unlocked therefore can't be fully discounted.)

I had a gold rated ABUS lock sawn off in under a minute on South King St last friday. I was wondering if it the same person. Have you asked in the shops along that street did they see or hear anything? Maybe someone did hear or see it happen.

A shop owner saw mine being taken and gave me a description of the 'perp' and the direction that he went. I have been into a few shops and pubs reviewing CCTV and I have a small bit of footage of said 'perp' cycling on my lovely new bike. Some of the places I went will only let the Gardai review footage, so I sent the Garda that took my statement that day an email asking him to please review the footage and that I can confirm that I have seen someone on the bike.

I'm going to a pub later that burned me a copy of footage around the time. Its on a junction so I can see what direction the 'perp' went and go from there. I figure that this is the best course of action, assisting the Gardai, as opposed to sitting back giving out about them not doing anything. I fully understand that the are stretched to breaking point with resources and there are are issues that take priority over bike crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

'Gold rating' unfortunately isn't all it's cracked up to be anymore, and seems to be more of a marketing ploy than anything.

but to no avail. (No avail, geddit?!)

I'd say your missus is loving this...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

stetyrrell wrote: »
    'Gold rating' unfortunately isn't all it's cracked up to be anymore, and seems to be more of a marketing ploy than anything.

Well, maybe, but the gold rated locks tend to be the upper end of weight you can practically carry, and they are tougher than anything else you can get. You can cut through anything with the right equipment and enough time, so as long as the environment is ripe for thieves to work with impunity they'll keep stealing bikes. All we can do is get the best locks we can and hope for the best. I don't know an alternative to the "Gold" locks.

Have you asked in the shops along that street did they see or hear anything? Maybe someone did hear or see it happen.

She did check with the shops and restaurant nearby, but no joy. I've suggested a return visit to see if any of them have CCTV, so we'll see what happens. The Guard who took her statement didn't seem to be fobbing her off and gave her contact info for any follow-up.
    I'd say your missus is loving this...

Maybe I'm teasing her for stalking me on Boards? :P

I didn't dare crack that pun to her face last night, but we did discuss the other bit (which, I should say, is only a very remote possibility, and was suggested simply by the lack of a lock at the scene)- seems a bit relevant to the more public aspect of this discussion regarding theft methods, etc. I figure as long as her identity is kept a secret (Hi Peggy!!) there's no major embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There is no longer the chance that a bike-theft gang is NOT operating in the Grafton St are. Sth King St-Grantham St-Drury St. I'm tempted to loiter with intent around Drury St car-park with a camera to "capture" images of them at work.

I'm also thinking there might be cookies at work here on this thread, glances sideways at "Ortre" Ad.... Grrr.

Someone already mentioned TV3 and bike sting operations.

There are GPS trackers for bikes.

I might send them a mail and see if they will do a programme called "Ireland's most scummy of scumbag ar$eholes c**t bike thieves"
    Can you tell I have been recently effected by this ;)

Someone already mentioned TV3 and bike sting operations.

There are GPS trackers for bikes.

I might send them a mail and see if they will do a programme called "Ireland's most scummy of scumbag ar$eholes c**t bike thieves"
    Can you tell I have been recently effected by this ;)

I'd love to see this programme - with reporters talking to the kids who steal bikes (with faces blurred out if they're underage), and introducing them to the person whose bike they've taken so they learn on the spot what stealing the bike means to the person.

aloyisious wrote: »
    There is no longer the chance that a bike-theft gang is NOT operating in the Grafton St are. Sth King St-Grantham St-Drury St. I'm tempted to loiter with intent around Drury St car-park with a camera to "capture" images of them at work.

I'm also thinking there might be cookies at work here on this thread, glances sideways at "Ortre" Ad.... Grrr.

A few months ago I dashed into a bookshop on Grafton Street to pick up a book. I'd left the bike propped outside, locked, and was keeping an eye on it as I stood at the front counter. Within, literally, seconds, a teenage couple were standing beside the bike, the lad on his phone. When I came out and unlocked the bike they gave me one dirty look and walked rapidly away. It was obvious from the way they acted that they were spotters for robbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

A few months ago I dashed into a bookshop on Grafton Street to pick up a book. I'd left the bike propped outside, locked, and was keeping an eye on it as I stood at the front counter. Within, literally, seconds, a teenage couple were standing beside the bike, the lad on his phone. When I came out and unlocked the bike they gave me one dirty look and walked rapidly away. It was obvious from the way they acted that they were spotters for robbers.

A fellow boards member was at the marathon in town and came accross some youths trying to steal a bike, he approached and threatened to call the guards to which the 'leader' said he'd "wrap the bike around his neck if he did so".. :mad:

As far as Im aware there was a guard near by and they scattered as soon as they saw him. Not really sure why that post sticks with me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I guess I might have to stop checking bikes around town for my stolen bike, I might be mistaken for a thief :eek:

There also needs to be an international bike number database, since some bikes are stolen in one country and shipped across the borders to another. With the new electrical internet we could actually have a database that would break bike theft rings.
    An awful lot of people take the view that the Gardaí have to be catching stabbers and killers, never mind the bike robbers, but an incentive that stopped minor crime in New York City in the 1980s, when it was a violent, dangerous place, stopped major crime dead in its tracks too.
    I'd be very surprised if Dublin's gang stabbers and killers aren't also invested in the bicycle thefts.

There also needs to be an international bike number database, since some bikes are stolen in one country and shipped across the borders to another. With the new electrical internet we could actually have a database that would break bike theft rings.
    An awful lot of people take the view that the Gardaí have to be catching stabbers and killers, never mind the bike robbers, but an incentive that stopped minor crime in New York City in the 1980s, when it was a violent, dangerous place, stopped major crime dead in its tracks too.
    I'd be very surprised if Dublin's gang stabbers and killers aren't also invested in the bicycle thefts.

Well, there are schemes such as http://www.bikeshepherd.org/ , which is run by Kryptonite, I believe. It's basically an online registry which is owner updated, and allows for change of ownership. It's a sticker system using QR codes which can be read using any barcode app. It's a clever system. The only weak point is the sticker itself, and they're as solid as its possible to get a sticker to be. And you get plenty of them in the registration pack, which IIRC, costs less than a tenner.

Users of the site can see alerts for bikes stolen in the local area, and if you spot a bike with a QR code, its a simple matter to scan them. Not a perfect system, but an extra bit for not much cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Slightly off topic maybe, but does anyone know if you can claim against Kryptonites anti-theft warranty in Ireland?

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Slightly off topic maybe, but does anyone know if you can claim against Kryptonites anti-theft warranty in Ireland?

Not sure, but even in for example the UK, with a UK warranty, there's a ridiculous amount of hoops to jump through. You need to have the original receipt, all parts of the broken lock, proof you owned the bike, yadayadayada....

It's a sales gimmick rather than insurance, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Well the minor crime directly funds the drug trade doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chester3455

Two of my friends had their bikes stolen from the top of their car in the clondalkin area.

Giant tcr sl 1:2013 model grey and white paint job full ultegra groupset shiny black handlebar tape torn huds on both sides gold front hub blue back hub u14 gearing (49/16)

Dolan ares:red and grey paint job giant wheels full dura ace groupset except ultegra rear derailleur paint chipped on
    frame and seatpost.u16 gearing (52/16)

Today around 3 o clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Clondalkin!!! They eat their young out there, luck that was all that was robbed.

Was the car moving when the bikes were robbed :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

robertxxx wrote: »
    Clondalkin!!! They eat their young out there, luck that was all that was robbed.

Was the car moving when the bikes were robbed :)

I don't know. You could probably have gotten a few more stereotypes in there if you'd tried.

Advertisement