Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 declanrob

Let us know when you find out! Glad to heat you got your bike back.

So i seen further the CCTV, regrettably I locked the bike to what i thought was the bar outside fresh but i didnt loop it under my mistake.

The lads came around noticed this, picked up the bike and threw it on the ground - I would assume to create attention to see if the owner was around. minutes later they pick it up and put it back not in its original place. 15 mins later they come back pick it up and run off.

They are all known in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hey Lars,

Sorry to hear about the bike. Whereabouts did you lock in the gasworks? I keep my bike there the odd time.

It's the bicycle stand opposite the Poolbeg apartments, how is it called again? The Camden, I think.

Btw...Trek, 3rd series, model number 3700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

My mate's Trek 1400 road bike was stolen from the underground carpark in his apartment building in Clontarf. He kept the front wheel in the apt, so it was taken without a front wheel :eek:
    If anyone's offered a road bike that's missing a wheel, let me know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 galwaybaba

Dear Fellow Cyclist,

I am deserate, can you help me? On the 27th July my securely locked bicycle was stolen from Wellpark retail centre. I only owned this bike for 6 weeks and it is now my 4th bike in 6 years that has been stolen in Galway City! Bad form, I know! mad.gifIt was a black Ammaco ladies bike with a basket at the front, 3 gears, a new set of pedals and a new seat.

If you would happen to come across it, I would be the most grateful if you could contact me on <snip>. Thank you very much indeed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

galwaybaba wrote: »
    I only owned this bike for 6 weeks and it is now my 4th bike in 6 years that has been stolen in Galway City!
    What sort of locks have you been using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 galwaybaba

Not a secure enough I am afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

bogmanfan wrote: »
    My mate's Trek 1400 road bike was stolen from the underground carpark in his apartment building in Clontarf. He kept the front wheel in the apt, so it was taken without a front wheel :eek:
    If anyone's offered a road bike that's missing a wheel, let me know...

Do you mind me asking if the apt building was Ashbrook by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blue File

My Blue Merida Race 880 road bike was stolen from outside Fairview Church on Saturday 30 July. 55cm frame, Look pedals, black bar tape and bottle cages. Not worth a whole lot but would love to get it back although i'd say it's long gone at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭moon2

Just on the offchance any of you nice cyclists out there come across someone selling a 5-6 month old Cube Aerial in the next week or two, could you let me know as it's probably mine ;)

My bike was stolen yesterday (Sunday) from outside of Stephens Green shopping centre at 7pm in plain few of dozens (hundreds?) of indifferent people. It was a group of 3 or 4 lads which just worked on the lock until it gave way having a great aul shout and laugh about it while they were at it. I know because when I came back to cycle home someone who had seen the robbery saw/heard me on my phone looking all depressed and filled me in on the details.

I can provide a bunch of identifying details which should make it easy to spot it even if they take off all the extras. While I doubt they read boards, I'm not sure if I should put all the ways to identify it up here just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Sorry to hear that moon2. Doubt if those scumbags would know about Boards so might be no harm to post details just in case it pops up on the usual sites.

moon2 wrote: »
    ...It was a group of 3 or 4 lads which just worked on the lock until it gave way having a great aul shout and laugh about it while they were at it...
    What type of lock was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Haleakala wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking if the apt building was Ashbrook by any chance?

Sorry mate, only saw this now. Wasn't Ashbrook. (nice username by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

So I cyled into work this morning to find my old bike gone. Admittedly it's been sitting there for ages unlocked (but off street past a security gate so should be secure) and I would occasionally look at thinking I must give it to Rothar or try to do a bike repair course and do it up as a fixie etc. It's a 10 year old British blue eagle city bike but very rusty, tyres/brakes banjaxed and don't think it could have been cycled anywhere. Part of me's annoyed but part of me thinks well that saves me having to figure out what to do with it. Is that very wrong?

So I cyled into work this morning to find my old bike gone. Admittedly it's been sitting there for ages unlocked (but off street past a security gate so should be secure) and I would occasionally look at thinking I must give it to Rothar or try to do a bike repair course and do it up as a fixie etc. It's a 10 year old British blue eagle city bike but very rusty, tyres/brakes banjaxed and don't think it could have been cycled anywhere. Part of me's annoyed but part of me thinks well that saves me having to figure out what to do with it. Is that very wrong?
    You should have been fined for illegal dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

You should have been fined for illegal dumping.

Seriously? I mean it was left in a bike rack/bike storage area that's never full. It's not like I dumped it in the canal or the Liffey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My Spidey "off-topic" sense is tingling, please let me be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Would it have been removed by the building management, bikes that appear to be abandoned are often removed, even if they're locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

So finally I broke my duck !...My two bikes were taken from a locked designated bike shed in my apartment block between the dates noted in the title. They were a Giant Yukon FX (2008 Model) with mavic crossrail rims, carbon easton seatpost and the rear shifter was upgraded also. The bike is similiar to this:http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/1382/29355/

The other was my first proper racer, a Giant Scr 4, bog standard except with pedals being clips on both sides, alot of bumps and scratches on the paint work but she never let me down !! The bike is similiar to this: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/1399/29642/

I havent reported then stolen to the Garda yet as, I need to talk to the Managment Company first and get their view on it (They supply the keys to the designated bike shed).

The apartment blocks are situated in Milltown, adjacent to the Dodder river.

Still in shock to be honest...i just walked down to get one of the machines and go for cycle out to Dalkey and nothing, gone.:(

camroc76 wrote: »
    I havent reported then stolen to the Garda yet as, I need to talk to the Managment Company first and get their view on it (They supply the keys to the designated bike shed).

Don't waste time, if there were a few bikes taken the gardai will need to know ASAP, if they are recovered you'll want your name down. Hopefully the management company can help but it is still a matter for the Gardai.

• Advertisement

camroc76 wrote: »

Were they locked to anything inside the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It would help others if people who have lost bikes could describe what kind of lock was used, how it was tied, and how it was circumvented.

It may not help retrieve an already stolen bike but it would help others to avoid making the same mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭camroc76

A key was used to enter the storage area, only the MTB was locked again inside the shed.

It was a cable tied thru the frame, one of the lesser Kryptonite Kryptoflex Key Cables. This was cut.

CCTV is being reviewed as i type by the Mangt. Company. No clues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭doc1976

Does Unregistered have a thing about locks??

It would help others if people who have lost bikes could describe what kind of lock was used, how it was tied, and how it was circumvented.

It may not help retrieve an already stolen bike but it would help others to avoid making the same mistake.

I think there are plenty of threads dealing with locking techniques dos/don'ts and the wiki has a good bit on it when it returns to us, might not be worth loading up a thread with it when the info is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

doc1976 wrote: »

I reckon it's a case of whether or not he/she wants to have sympathy for the person. If the bike's were well locked and everything possible was done to prevent the theft, then sympathy is warranted.

If the bikes were not locked properly, locked with a bad lock or not locked at all... less sympathy.

That's the impression I get anyway.

Doesn't make the theft of your beloved bike any easier... just makes one feel worse :(

doc1976 wrote: »

See mcmoustache's post, above.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the Opening Post;):
    Beasty wrote: »
    3. This thread should be used for notifying any available details of the theft – ideally include location, time, details of locks used, and any information on how the thief managed to get round any security measures adopted can be included.

Beasty wrote: »
    From the Opening Post;):
    In addition to helping people avoid making the same mistakes, it would be interesting to see if and how various locks / techniques (such as those featured in the wiki) were circumvented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

In addition to helping people avoid making the same mistakes, it would be interesting to see if and how various locks / techniques (such as those featured in the wiki) were circumvented.
    So that we can go out and rob us some bikes :confused:

Advertisement