Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Macinerto

Macinerto wrote: »
    Hi everyone.
    My bike was stolen from Independent Newspapers, CityWest on Thursday 17th july at around 3.35 pm

It is a STEVENS Stelvio
    Full shimano 105 groupset
    White frame with blue and red pin striping.
    Easton wheels with Gatorskin tyres.
    STEVENS In big bold letters on the main diagonal tube.

I have never even seen another stevens bike. So they are not very common.

If anyone had seen one available for sale please pm me.
    If the bike is recovered as part of your tip off.
    I will reward you.

Thanks for looking

I can't add pictures. Sorry. If you Google Stevens stelvio. You will see handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I wonder if it would be possible for admins to allow posters on this particular thread to be able to post pictures without having the usual minimum number of posts to do so. It seems that many people are joining to report their stolen bike, but are unlikely to obtain help if people cannot see the exact bike in question.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I wonder if it would be possible for admins to allow posters on this particular thread to be able to post pictures without having the usual minimum number of posts to do so. It seems that many people are joining to report their stolen bike, but are unlikely to obtain help if people cannot see the exact bike in question.
    Sorry, no it's not going to happen. It's a system introduced across the site and there will not be any exceptions made for individual forums (as that would turn into a magnet for the spammers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

If anyone needs to upload pictures, upload them to post image and send me the direct links and I'll embed them

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tomskis

eimz1809 wrote: »
    Do you have a pic? there is a red and black specialized for sale right now on Done Deal... i'm on the look out for mine, the tempt 2 mentioned above...

I can't post pictures yet as only a new member. If you do a search for 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro in Google Images you will see it. Is it the ad for the stumpjumper? That's not mine unfortunately but thanks for the heads up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

In fairness, Boards is a community, and if you're not part of the community, I wouldn't be too worried about bending over backwards to help someone out.

Hi everyone.
    My bike was stolen from Independent Newspapers, CityWest on Thursday 17th july at around 3.35 pm

It is a STEVENS Stelvio
    Full shimano 105 groupset
    White frame with blue and red pin striping.
    Easton wheels with Gatorskin tyres.
    STEVENS In big bold letters on the main diagonal tube.

I have never even seen another stevens bike. So they are not very common.

If anyone had seen one available for sale please pm me.
    If the bike is recovered as part of your tip off.
    I will reward you.

Thanks for looking
    stelvio_242_angled_zpsvzkrvifg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

RainyDay wrote: »
    In fairness, Boards is a community, and if you're not part of the community, I wouldn't be too worried about bending over backwards to help someone out.

But surely as part of the cycling community we should try help fellow cyclist out even if they are new to boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DMGACC

Hi everyone,

My friends bike stolen from her house in Templeogue last night. Bike is a womans 2013 model GIANT Avail 3. It is black and pink with white grips on black handle bars. It had a black narrow handlebag bar bag on it when stolen. Unfortunately I am unable to upload photo.

I would appreciate if anyone sees one for sale if you could contact me.

Out of interest has anyone recovered their bike from posting their details here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Hi everyone.
    My bike was stolen from Independent Newspapers, CityWest on Thursday 17th July at around 3.35 pm

A colleagues' (nice carbon fibre) road bike was also stolen from Citywest on a tuesday afternoon at the end of april. Whoever is doing this has a brass neck (or a van) for daylight robbery and is obviously happy all the workers are inside until 5pm... Below is a photo of the cables they cut through. Note to anyone else with bikes there - bring them inside until your employer or the CityWest landlords provide more secure parking.

E9Spb3G.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks Chance the Rapper.
    I really appreciate that.

Hopefully someone recognises it. There are feck all of these around

Thanks again.

Mec a Nic.

Was the guy positively i.d ed from cctv.
    My lock was cut the exact same way

The guards know who took mine.
    He has a string of these under his belt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Mec a Nic.

Was the guy positively i.d ed from cctv.
    My lock was cut the exact same way

The guards know who took mine.
    He has a string of these under his belt

I'd just like another quick moan about cable locks:
    They are no good as a primary lock. They are suitable for holding a quick release wheel on to your frame, and that's about it. The locks in the pictures would resist a decent quality kitchen scissors for a while, but that's about the extent of it. A very common small bike tool will slice these kinds of lock in one go. We are talking quicker than it takes to use the key in these locks.

I am sorry that you had to lose your bike to discover this, and I hope that you may be one of the few who gets their bike back. I hope someone reads this and boosts their own bike security in time to thwart one of these villains.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

check_six wrote: »
    I am sorry that you had to lose your bike to discover this, ...

It wasn't my bike - I only use bar and U locks from ABUS and trelock.
    That said, I was surprised that this happened a) in broad daylight and b) through a seemingly non-trivial cable (see euro coin for diameter comparison).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

gillielane wrote: »
    Hey,

I was advised to put a post of this thread after my bike was stolen. My bike was stolen from Deloitte office car park Hatch Street (near the National Concert Hall) yesterday, Wednesday 16th July 2014 at 13.46 exactly. I have seen CCTV footage of the guy walking into the car park and cycling my bike out. The bike was locked to the bike rack, but the lock obviously wasn't very good.

The bike is a Wilier Montegrappa Saro. It is white/red with a white bottle holder attached. There was also a small black saddle bag. I cannot post a picture because boards.ie won't let me as a new user.

<snip>

Any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Was walking home just now and spotted a very nice white Willer Montegrappa being cycled down Macken Street Dublin 2 , by someone who maybe not aware of the nice Italian Quality back ground of the bike they happened to be riding on :o.
    <snip>

Hope this helps ,,I said to myself nice bike and then WTF !

It did look like this , I think red Fork vs Black one .

2012-wilier-montegrappa-road-bike.jpg

Hi Beasty,

Sorry about that but I did read the OP 1st , I felt the content of my post was within the rules before posting , As this thread was the 1st thing in my mind when I saw the bike above.

If "gillielane" would like any more info on my sighting of their possible bike please feel free to PM.

PS. Keep up the good work

Fair play, that's good info, if he passes it onto the guards there's a good chance of tracking it down

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gillielane

Sorry to hear that. I work in an office in that area and we have had bikes stolen from the underground carpark also.

What kind of lock did you have?

Hey,

Sorry i thought I would get an alert if someone replied to my post. The lock was the problem. He just chopped through it and cycled the bike out. I will definitely be investing in a good propoer lock next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gillielane

DominoDub wrote: »
    Was walking home just now and spotted a very nice white Willer Montegrappa being cycled down Macken Street Dublin 2 , by someone who maybe not aware of the nice Italian Quality back ground of the bike they happened to be riding on :o.
    <snip>

Hope this helps ,,I said to myself nice bike and then WTF !

It did look like this , I think red Fork vs Black one .

QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks a million for posting a reply. If it had a red fork though, then it's likely not mine. I have a pic of me with the bike and it definitely has a black fork. Did you notice were there any accessories on the bike? I had the following attached when it was stolen:
    - White/Red bottle holder on the diagonal of the frame
    - Black saddle bag
    - Small red light on the back fork on the side of the cogs

I suppose all of these could have been removed though.

This is thread is great. Thanks for all the help and advice.

No Problem Gill , I hope you get some news on your bike !

I was not that close to see any extra's on the bike , also not 100% on the Red fork version it may have been the Black version.

As per my PM just now I will keep an eye out as I live local and will PM you any new information !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Had my bike taken from outside the central criminal courts building in parkgate street today.

It was a Giant FCR 4 I believe. It's about 5 years old so probably not worth much to be honest but if you hear of one please give me a shout.

FCR%204zoom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

adrian522 wrote: »
    Had my bike taken from outside the central criminal courts building in parkgate street today.

It was a Giant FCR 4 I believe. It's about 5 years old so probably not worth much to be honest but if you hear of one please give me a shout.

FCR%204zoom.jpg

Is nowhere safe any more. A bike stolen from a court house!

Is nowhere safe any more. A bike stolen from a court house!

I know, all those feckin barristers and solicitors - sure what would you expect?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

passing by the four courts a couple of years back, i spotted that many of the bikes locked to the bike racks (inside the railings) were missing saddles - so i assume there had been a problem with saddle theft at some point.
    and i've seen junkie lights in the toilets in there too (not that i frequent the courts - this was on jury duty).

Maybe they like bikes without saddles.
    Each to their own and all

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭yes there

Bike is a red and black mountain bike. With gold rush and planet written on the bars. There is also the roundish oval bar lock that was stolen with key. The writing is else gold or white. Bike is newish loking but is a few years old. Not many miles up on it, no badkets or mudguards. 18gears.

The bike was stolen in crumlin last nite and was got in the back yard. The side entrance was broken into.

Bike maybe sold with the lock as the key was in the lock. (very stupid I know but whats done is done).

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://static.wixstatic.com/media/58dc66_c5e126f8f15840b58ef6a8ed8e829df0.jpg_srz_764_431_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz&amp;imgrefurl=http://www.cahill.ie/#!ladies-atb/cdo3&amp;h=431&amp;w=764&amp;tbnid=_wRSGziyCqSeCM:&amp;zoom=1&amp;q=gold rush planet mountain bike&amp;docid=YV7vYil2Z_vBsM&amp;hl=en&amp;ei=aDHYU5L2F6qM7QbEooG4BA&amp;tbm=isch&amp;client=ms-android-h3g-ie&amp;ved=0CB4QMygDMAM&amp;iact=rc&amp;uact=3&amp;page=1&amp;start=0&amp;ndsp=8

Bike is similar to the one above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

My mates bike stolen from stillorgan area.keep an eye out please guys!!

Interesting emerging technology from US - I guess you'd need critical mass of users for the crowd-sourcing bit to work

Have to disagree with the 'no need to call the cops' bit though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

RainyDay wrote: »
    Interesting emerging technology from US - I guess you'd need critical mass of users for the crowd-sourcing bit to work

Have to disagree with the 'no need to call the cops' bit though

The tracker you stick on the bike is relatively big so after a while thieves will notice it and rip it off.

Realistically you'd want to be sticking it somewhere hard to notice/get out like inside the bike frame itself. Don't know how that would interfere with the signal though.

Advertisement