Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Yama wrote: »
    Hi,

My Black Kona Kahuna Deluxe mountain bike was right next to it on Merrion Sq East and it was taken too. His was well locked up with Krytonite I think.

Mine had a Kryptonite on back and another good lock on front. No trace of locks on ground.

They were taken between 1.15 and 2pm.

Garda passed by and I reported it, said he'd look into CCTV but doubt there's any.

Sorry to hear that mate, my mate locked his at 1.30pm and we came back at 1.50pm at the latest.

Scumbags.

Hopefully they will show up

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that mate, my mate locked his at 1.30pm and we came back at 1.50pm at the latest.

Scumbags.

Hopefully they will show up

Has he put on the Bike Register? Might be worth a try.

www . bikeregister . ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Jmcmen wrote: »
    My mate just got this Felt Cyclecross bike robbed from Merrion Sq East opposite Holles St. at 1.30pm, 55mins ago. Litterly left it for 15mins to grab a quick bite in Bon Expresso around the corner. Please keep an eye out for it. Had a look in the flats around but nothing to be seen. Had a massive lock on it and no filling around the location. Only has it since 15th of July,

Please, Please Please keep an eye out for it
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5l6ri428qt8wvp8/Felt.jpg

Felt.jpg

Thats a fairly distinctive bike alright, esp with the CX semi-nobblies on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Hi,

My Black Kona Kahuna Deluxe mountain bike was right next to it on Merrion Sq East and it was taken too. His was well locked up with Krytonite I think.

Mine had a Kryptonite on back and another good lock on front. No trace of locks on ground.

Garda passed by and I reported it, said he'd look into CCTV but doubt there's any.

With the food market there at lunchtime on Thursday that part of Merrion Square is very busy at this time. Must attract the scum in. The flats nearby would be favourite.
    will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

Won't let me include an image or url but very few Kona Kahuna Deluxe 29er's around too, 2012 model. Big Maxxis tyres with yellow logo stick out a mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I wouldn't give up so easily, in the last few months I've bought two lovely bikes, one from adverts and one from done deal, both were bargains. Sellers were genuine , one was a cyclist himself, the other was a commuter who had a new bike to work scheme bike coming.

I take it all back.. He bought a really nice Hybrid tonight, with receipt from a nice genuine lad and in absolute showroom condition..

But the message still goes, after yesterdays experience I'd suggest scanning the online ad's for stolen bikes ~ those of us who are unfortunate enough to fall victim to a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So these Kryptonote locks aren't bulletproof ? What would thieves use to break something like that ?
    With motorbikes the general consensus is that Almax chains are pretty much Unbreakable without the use of an noisy angle grinder. Is there not an Unbreakable lock on the market for bikes, something heavy duty like Almax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Socky91

Well lads. My white and blue carerra virtuoso was stolen from the charlemont luas stop today. I know they're fairly common bikes but if anyone sees one around the dublin 8 area could they keep me in mind.

I only had the bike a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

sebcity wrote: »

suspended sentence FFS

Declan Martin;
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-denies-causing-death-of-father-and-daughter-in-crash-26094157.html

Heroin dealer gets five years

A DRUG dealer who "played the system" by claiming he was drug-free has been jailed for five years for heroin possession.

Declan Martin (37), of Markievicz House in Dublin 2, pleaded guilty to having €3,000 of heroin, which gardai saw him throwing into a bin.

"This is a man who plays the system," said Justice Patrick McCartan, rejecting his claims to have given up drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paulgs

Just reading this and it strikes me is it not about time online advertising sites do something about the plethora of stolen bikes that are advertised they stand out a mile generally and a few questions for more details usually confirms it is some one who is selling something they didn't aquire by fair means. Also if you look at their previous adds they usually have had a number of bikes for sale. I sometimes report them on adverts but they are usually left up.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I dont mean to sound like this...but are people actually surprised that their bikes are getting knicked when using locks like this!!!
    Seriously i can cut threw that with a bicycle cable cutter!

I was surprised when the lock I spent €55 on was worthless. I bought it in the bike shop in Howth and next time I was in (about a year later) I said to the owner that that lock is useless and he just grunted. It's unethical of the bike shops to sell them when they're aware of the situation in Dublin, but they stand to gain. Now I own five Kryptonites.

paulgs wrote: »
    Just reading this and it strikes me is it not about time online advertising sites do something about the plethora of stolen bikes that are advertised they stand out a mile generally and a few questions for more details usually confirms it is some one who is selling something they didn't aquire by fair means. Also if you look at their previous adds they usually have had a number of bikes for sale. I sometimes report them on adverts but they are usually left up.

i see bikes for sale similar to ones described on this thread, but when i try to pm the posters you find that they seem to be irregular posters on boards.ie.

Is there any other way to contact other than PMs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Amazon have kryptonite u locks with cable for 20 stg

gillielane wrote: »
    DominoDub wrote: »
    Was walking home just now and spotted a very nice white Willer Montegrappa being cycled down Macken Street Dublin 2 , by someone who maybe not aware of the nice Italian Quality back ground of the bike they happened to be riding on :o.
    <snip>

Hope this helps ,,I said to myself nice bike and then WTF !

It did look like this , I think red Fork vs Black one .

QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks a million for posting a reply. If it had a red fork though, then it's likely not mine. I have a pic of me with the bike and it definitely has a black fork. Did you notice were there any accessories on the bike? I had the following attached when it was stolen:
    - White/Red bottle holder on the diagonal of the frame
    - Black saddle bag
    - Small red light on the back fork on the side of the cogs

I suppose all of these could have been removed though.

This is thread is great. Thanks for all the help and advice.
    you have a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Hi,

Which model Kryptonite did you have on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

Amazon have kryptonite u locks with cable for 20 stg

Are these locks any good? I am not living in Dublin but still in a urban area with the bike being locked up outside in view. Bike is kept indoors at night and while in work it is kept in a secure car park.

Its this kryptonite http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Bike-Lock-Flex-Cable/dp/B005YPK8G2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407580788&sr=8-1&keywords=Kryptonite

Thanks!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Don't be surprised if your new, flashy bike disappears in a blink of an eye... :(

f98h3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

sarahn11 wrote: »
    Are these locks any good? I am not living in Dublin but still in a urban area with the bike being locked up outside in view. Bike is kept indoors at night and while in work it is kept in a secure car park.

Its this kryptonite http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Bike-Lock-Flex-Cable/dp/B005YPK8G2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407580788&sr=8-1&keywords=Kryptonite

Thanks!

That's the one. It's silver rated. I used PM to save on postage costs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

That's the one. It's silver rated. I used PM to save on postage costs

You really need the new York version. This one is not tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Guys, forget about kryptonite locks. See this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUf4h0Lv_8

This guy didn't have heavy bolt cutter, but thieves are familiar with different methods to cut any lock.

Another vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfAFMEFmCbQ

In my humble opinion it's worth to take front wheel with you, after locking bike with good lock. I know how does it sound, but at least this way your bike will be worthless for bike thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

sarahn11 wrote: »

Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with that lock I've read a number of stories of bikes with that lock being stolen.

You want to get the evo 7 or Network model.

sebphoto wrote: »
    Guys, forget about kryptonite locks. See this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYUf4h0Lv_8

This guy didn't have heavy bolt cutter, but thieves are familiar with different methods to cut any lock.

Another vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfAFMEFmCbQ

In my humble opinion it's worth to take front wheel with you, after locking bike with good lock. I know how does it sound, but at least this way your bike will be worthless for bike thieves.

Your videos don't show the high end Kryptonite locks being cracked at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMXO1cS5J0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImEoEOKr7FQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVjlumO9bWw

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Kinet1c my point is slightly different i.e. if someone wants to steal your bike then there is no way to prevent this.
    They will find solution. Same story for motorbikes and cars which were stolen.

sebphoto wrote: »
    Kinet1c my point is slightly different i.e. if someone wants to steal your bike then there is no way to prevent this.
    They will find solution. Same story for motorbikes and cars which were stolen.

I agree but the quality and quantity of your lock(s) can be a deterrent. Scumbags are looking for easy targets and will know not to waste their time on something as strong as a Kryptonite NY model.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I agree but the quality and quantity of your lock(s) can be a deterrent. Scumbags are looking for easy targets and will know not to waste their time on something as strong as a Kryptonite NY model.

Exactly, any good bike theif will get through any lock given enough time. But what they want is a lock they know they can get through in under a minute. So by choosing something that is difficult for them to break it is more likely they won't try and move onto something they know they can.

I think a good bike lock should be able to withstand being chopped by bolt cutters. With motorbikes Almax chains promise this and shout it from the roofs- they're so confident of their chains compared to their competitors that they went and put videos up on YouTube of them bolt cropping everyone of their competitors chains including Oxford, Krytonite, Abus. None of their competitors responded with videos of them hand cropping an Almax chain which speaks volumes IMO. They got through the Kryptonite in only 42 seconds
    http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=7

For me if the only option you leave a thief is to use a very noisy angle grinder then it's highly unlikely they'll bother unless your bike is worth at least €1,000. Is there a bike lock out there like Almax that just can't be smashed by a bolt cutters ? I have a 2m Almax chain for my bike, it's a pity they weight a ton as otherwise they could be a fool proof way of securing your bike against everything except for angle grinders. They do a 70cm long chain too but I'm guessing even that might weight 3-4kg.

I'm upgrading my bike soon to something in the €600-800 range so want to get a decent lock that can't be cut by anything except an angle grinder. What should I be looking at ?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I don't think what you're looking for exists Muahahaha. The Allmax chains are so secure partly because they are so bloody heavy. Having a lock that you can bring around with you on the bike and one that can't be cut by anything other than an angle grinder are two mutually exclusive things I reckon.

What's the lock for? If it is just something you want to leave in an underground carpark at home, get the Allmax and leave it there. If you want a mobile lock, go with the Kryptonite NY or something similar. If you're spending 600-800 on the bike there's absolutely no point in forking out more than 100 bills for the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

See Kryptonite's response. What you'll see in most of the videos is they use the ground, and all their body weight for leverage against the better locks. Try to eliminate this as a possibility through how you lock the bike to the rack.

• Advertisement

I don't think what you're looking for exists Muahahaha. The Allmax chains are so secure partly because they are so bloody heavy. Having a lock that you can bring around with you on the bike and one that can't be cut by anything other than an angle grinder are two mutually exclusive things I reckon.

What's the lock for? If it is just something you want to leave in an underground carpark at home, get the Allmax and leave it there. If you want a mobile lock, go with the Kryptonite NY or something similar. If you're spending 600-800 on the bike there's absolutely no point in forking out more than 100 bills for the lock.

Yeah unfortunately I think your right, a lock like Almax is likely extremely heavy cos it's virtually Unbreakable without using an angle grinder. Still though I might email Almax and ask them the weight of their 70cm chain which could work quite well with a bike.

It does annoy me though that there are a ton of shops out there charging €50-70 for locks that they know well a professional thief can bypass. If the best product they have got cant beat the bike thieves then there's something wrong. Then again, when you think about it the two main beneficiaries of bike theft are the thief and the bike shop owner who you buy your next bike from. If anything bike theft helps their business so I probably shouldn't be all that surprised that the locks they sell are by and large pieces of cack.

Almax should really try to create a lighter bicycle specific lock and muscle in on this market because clearly what's out there at the moment isn't up to the job.

Advertisement