Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I'm almost tempted to cable lock a bike and wait nearby, means I could miss MMA training for an evening :pac:

I'd be up for sparring with you..

..and anyone that may accidentally walk into our path with their bike that they may or may not own..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sausagekayak

I'm almost tempted to cable lock a bike and wait nearby, means I could miss MMA training for an evening :pac:

Do the gards do anything simlar to try catch these guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Skip training? I don't think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a few youtube clips of British cops doing it, I doubt out guys do anything of the sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

From An Garda Siochána FB page.

"These 2 bicycles were located in Waterford City on 31/12/14. 3 Bikes were offered for Sale on a popular on line auction sites. Gardai have identified the owner of 1 of the 3 bikes. It was stolen recently in Dublin.. We are anxious to locate the owners of the remaining 2 bikes .Please contact Waterford Garda Station on 051 305300 between 9 to 5 to view property."

10704182_10152771238048001_1906566537724209477_n.jpg?oh=c934815ec15e44a086ba7aa102f7cfa8&oe=556C57A8&__gda__=1429389084_84119dc778ec986663604e3d9808a73f

10896958_10152771238043001_2133620599405734841_n.jpg?oh=c666ac56f36b956c3a29a55bf6b57426&oe=552B4879

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sausagekayak

What do people think about the luas stops for locking up the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What do people think about the luas stops for locking up the bike?

No experience but the reports are not good. I wouldn't if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    No experience but the reports are not good. I wouldn't if I were you.

Yeah I'd say some of them would be quiet outside of rush hour hours. With trams coming ~10 minutes, it's plenty of time for someone to be alone with your beloved steed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Depends which one but the likes of Windy Arbour are constantly filled with the remnants of stolen bike parts, bikes without saddles and wheels, wheels without frames, broken bike locks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Don't as its where alot of bikes get taken from and not worth it unless you plan on locking a bike not worth more than €50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My sister has locked her bike at the luas line in sandyford often enough with a crappy cable lock. Her bike is not an amazing one but its an attractive looking city bike with a vintage look to it and I'm surprised it hasn't been taken yet. Told her many times to get a U lock but she says the lock she has is perfect. I wouldnt lock my rusty old lawnmower with it. Her cateye lights were nicked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

The Luas bike racks are fine in terms of build and strength. My OH had her bike stolen at the Stephens Green Luas rack but that was down to the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

For people who've seen there bike on-line after it was stolen - What site was it on (DD? Adverts?) and how long after it was taken did it show up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

For people who've seen there bike on-line after it was stolen - What site was it on (DD? Adverts?) and how long after it was taken did it show up?

Adverts within a couple of days. Organised a police sting operation but unfortunately the seller decked what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spielmann

Hi, I got my bike stolen yesterday night around 23:00 at the corner of Drury Street and Fade Street, from the bike racks there on Fade St. just across the No Name pub and the Drury Buildings restaurant. Seems that that's a high-risk spot to park your bike so beware...

I cannot post pics as I am a new user but it's an easy bike to identify: it's a Decathlon, sort of mountain bike, grey color, 1 orange reflector on each wheel, black luggage rack with a red light I just installed last month and it's the sort with black shock absorbers in the front wheel fork. The front light would be missing as I had taken it off, so it's all I've got left from it now. It's a cheap bike that costed 150 EUR when I bought it 9 years ago. By no means an expensive bike but I feel sad for its loss as it was my primary means of transportation for all these years, and especially in Dublin. The lock was a flimsy one so it was picked clean.

I have reported the theft to the Garda. Would reward information that leads to its recovery, and would really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Just out of interest has anyone with Kryptonite locks had their bikes stolen? The lower end series 2 silver coloured locks I know are no better then an average lock but the evolution and new York series?

I seen a cut through bike rack today inorder to slip the lock through instead of defeating the kryptonite evo lock(orange one).

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Just out of interest has anyone with Kryptonite locks had their bikes stolen? The lower end series 2 silver coloured locks I know are no better then an average lock but the evolution and new York series?

I seen a cut through bike rack today inorder to slip the lock through instead of defeating the kryptonite evo lock(orange one).

They can all be cut with the correct tools, its just a matter of how long it takes.
    Id imagine cutting through a bike rack was easier than the lock, which is why I'd try to lock the bike wheel to the frame and then to the rack
    I have the yellow new york mini, that can be cut too - just takes longer
    Mind you the below lock is double locked so they'd need to cut both ends, dunno if that's the same with the orange.
    240193_7028_XL.jpg

Slow them down, make it take as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭JGEP

Was talking to a Garda about a bike stolen recently and he said they had just caught a lad cutting a lock with a battery powered angle grinder, so if they want a bike they can get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

JGEP wrote: »
    Was talking to a Garda about a bike stolen recently and he said they had just caught a lad cutting a lock with a battery powered angle grinder, so if they want a bike they can get it!

was it Aldi or Lidl or somewhere that was selling those for cheap a few months back?
    If bike theives are using battery powered angle grinders then owning any kind of mid to high end bike and locking it in the city centre is going to soon be out of the question for many owners. Probably whats been preventing this type of theft thus far is these bikes tend to have stronger locks so were less attractive to a thief armed with bolt croppers. But if he has an angle grinder then all bets are off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Muahahaha wrote: »
    was it Aldi or Lidl or somewhere that was selling those for cheap a few months back?

LIDL had the bike thief's toolkit on sale about a year and a half ago.

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    They can all be cut with the correct tools, its just a matter of how long it takes.
    Id imagine cutting through a bike rack was easier than the lock, which is why I'd try to lock the bike wheel to the frame and then to the rack
    I have the yellow new york mini, that can be cut too - just takes longer
    Mind you the below lock is double locked so they'd need to cut both ends, dunno if that's the same with the orange.

Slow them down, make it take as long as possible.

Ye I think the orange one is the same with its double dead bolt system. Forgot to mention the reason I knew it was a kryptonite evo series is the guy who's bike was taken was standing beside the rack examing the cut. I asked him in passing.. The bike in question was there over night so they had enough time to saw through it unfortunately. He said the bike was abit of a beater anyways but still a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭JGEP

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If bike theives are using battery powered angle grinders then owning any kind of mid to high end bike and locking it in the city centre is going to soon be out of the question for many owners. Probably whats been preventing this type of theft thus far is these bikes tend to have stronger locks so were less attractive to a thief armed with bolt croppers. But if he has an angle grinder then all bets are off.

I suppose you just can't really leave it anywhere out of the way or overnight, I'd imagine someone might be spotted using the angle grinder during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spielmann

Well there must have been hundreds of people passing by Fade Street / Drury Street at 23:00, coming out of the pubs, restaurants, etc. My bike was just opposite a busy restaurant window... that didn't seem to matter. I suppose mine was stolen with either a bolt cropper or a lockpick. Definitely not worth buying any expensive bikes if you'll ever park them in the city at night - and very worth getting insurance for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

Its sad but locks are thing of a past. With all the electric tools nowadays its impossible to keep the bikes safe.

No matter how hard the lock is, a little cordless grinder will cut it apart in less then 60sec.
    I saw a guy a few weeks ago cutting a car clamp in town with one of these grinders, the time I opened the car, sat in, he had the clamp taken off:roll eyes:

416TG6G7HVL._SX466_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Xpro wrote: »
    Its sad but locks are thing of a past. With all the electric tools nowadays its impossible to keep the bikes safe.

No matter how hard the lock is, a little cordless grinder will cut it apart in less then 60sec.
    I saw a guy a few weeks ago cutting a car clamp in town with one of these grinders, the time I opened the car, sat in, he had the clamp taken off:roll eyes:

416TG6G7HVL._SX466_.jpg
    Hypocritically enough, I have absolutely no problem with these being used on car clamps...

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Hypocritically enough, I have absolutely no problem with these being used on car clamps...

....on a car parked in a bike lane?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

He wanted to clear the cycle lane quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Black and White Carrera Mountain bike here with Santry Gardai if anyone here is missing one - recovered today

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/555483108653694977/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Spielmann wrote: »
    Well there must have been hundreds of people passing by Fade Street / Drury Street at 23:00, coming out of the pubs, restaurants, etc. My bike was just opposite a busy restaurant window... that didn't seem to matter. I suppose mine was stolen with either a bolt cropper or a lockpick. Definitely not worth buying any expensive bikes if you'll ever park them in the city at night - and very worth getting insurance for them.

Problem is people dont want to get involved, some bike thieves might be junkies and if nothing is going to stand in the way of them getting their fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had a bike tampered with recently. Parked it outdoors on Molesworth St. for a couple of hours one evening.

They nicked the bar ends!

I'm not sure what the economics of the underground stolen bar ends market are like at the moment, but clearly the fundamentals are sound enough for it to be worth swiping them.

It just seems kind of pointless for the perp and annoying for me. I just don't see what the benefit to them is.

For completeness, the bike was locked with a kryptonite new york mini and a cable tether for the front wheel. The rest of the bike was unharmed. I have not reported the theft to the guards.

If anyone comes across a shady character with a suitcase full of bar ends you'll recognise mine. Not because of what they look like (black, one left, and one right), but because of the voodoo curse I fully intend to associate with them in order to bring their bearer no luck whatsoever!

Advertisement