Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone missing a Typhoon Challenge road bike in Bray I know where it is, beaten up cheap bike but the amount of lights on it makes me think it was someones commuter stolen from the DART station and dumped, pm if you want it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

check_six wrote: »

They nicked the bar ends!

Had a cateye front light mount robbed of a bike about 15 years ago in UCD!

Mirrors were nicked of my motorbike outside my apartment in Stillorgan a few years later. Some of the petty mindless vandalism can be as bad as theft. Had the motorbike knocked over later that cost me a few hundred to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Anyone missing a Typhoon Challenge road bike in Bray I know where it is,

Can you call Garda, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Garda in Finglas have found this Raleigh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

This might sound like a stupid thing to ask, but are there any cheap GPS trackers available to buy, that could be hidden in the frame of the bike? One that might have a half decent battery life and could be accessed remotely to see the location of the bike? Like I said, it could be a ridiculous question, but would surely help recover a lot of stolen bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭27cyrix

jungleman wrote: »
    This might sound like a stupid thing to ask, but are there any cheap GPS trackers available to buy, that could be hidden in the frame of the bike? One that might have a half decent battery life and could be accessed remotely to see the location of the bike? Like I said, it could be a ridiculous question, but would surely help recover a lot of stolen bikes?

yes, a lot. I just did a quick search on ebay.

headset/seat tube gps insertion
    GPS tail light.
    etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Anyone missing a black and white Trek road bike and turbo trainer in the Louth area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 offtheball

Hi,

I had a Specialized Allez Elite taken from Liffey Street (outside Arnott's earlier today).

It is White & Red with fitted clips & water bottle holder.

If anybody has any info it would be much appreciated.

Cormac

just had a bike robbed from Ballaly Luas stop.

A carrera Crossfire 2 only 3 months old :( no unusual features o it really to describe unfortunalty

just moved to the area last week,Ballaly seems like a no go area for putting your bike for any amount of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Posting this for a friend: Two Bikes stolen last night from Lucan.

The Anthem is only one of 3 in the country so very distinctive, value of €8,500
    Second bike is an XTC Advanced SL 29er, Worth approx. €4000

Please pm me if you have been offered these bikes.

2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced Team: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.anthem.advanced.27.5.0.team/14993/66585/
    2cx7py8.jpg

2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL1: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.advanced.sl.29er.1/12068/57351/
    6ofq10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Two Bikes stolen last night from Lucan.

The Anthem is only one of 3 in the country so very distinctive, value of €8,500
    Second bike is an XTC Advanced SL 29er, Worth approx. €4000

Please pm me if you have been offered these bikes.

2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced Team: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2014.giant.anthem.advanced.27.5.0.team/14993/66585/
    <snip>

2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL1: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/xtc.advanced.sl.29er.1/12068/57351/

<snip>

As a matter if interest.... What kind of security measures did you take on an €8k bike.??? I d have to keep it beside me in the bed!!

Bad b@st@rds who took it.... Hope u get it back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Don't send the insurance company those links you're about €3000 over estimate.

nice bikes hope you've a bit of luck recovering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

aaronc182 wrote: »
    just had a bike robbed from Ballaly Luas stop.

A carrera Crossfire 2 only 3 months old :( no unusual features o it really to describe unfortunalty

just moved to the area last week,Ballaly seems like a no go area for putting your bike for any amount of time!

What sort of lock did you have on it? Regularly leave my commuter outside Tesco, Dundrum SC, but I always use a Cryptonite Evolution oragne.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Junior Jacon Jeese Jurger

Had locked my Trek Session to the racks outside Insomnia on Chatham Row yesterday while I sat outside and had a coffee.

3 young lads aged between 11 and 16 rode past on bikes and spotted it. They hung around and eye'd it up asking eachother questions like 'how much do you think its worth?'. One made a phonecall mentioning 'A Trek near the shopping centre'.

They cycled away and I took this as a cue to get my bike and leave.

I guess they have these young lads scope out bikes and then someone shows up after and cuts the lock. I had it locked with a Kryptonite Fahg but this didn't seem to discourage them. Unless they were gonna strip it for parts.

I didn't want to hang around and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

3 young lads aged between 11 and 16 rode past on bikes and spotted it. They hung around and eye'd it up asking eachother questions like 'how much do you think its worth?'. One made a phonecall mentioning 'A Trek near the shopping centre'.

They cycled away and I took this as a cue to get my bike and leave.

As I said further back the thread bicycle theft in Dublin seems to be a lot more than just a few junkies stealing bikes to pay for a hit. It seems to me to be highly organised crime and using kids as spotters is just more evidence of that.

Somewhere in the city there has to be a warehouse or lock up that these gangs use for storage and as a clearing shop. The Gardai really need to concentrate on this side of bike theft, they'll never get a handle on junkies stealing bikes but this other side of bike theft is a professional operation that can be stopped with a bit of good police work

edit- just wondering are there any national stats for how many people have been charged and convicted for stealing bicycles per year? Or is it all labelled 'stolen property'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Muahahaha wrote: »
    As I said further back the thread bicycle theft in Dublin seems to be a lot more than just a few junkies stealing bikes to pay for a hit. It seems to me to be highly organised crime and using kids as spotters is just more evidence of that.

Somewhere in the city there has to be a warehouse or lock up that these gangs use for storage and as a clearing shop. The Gardai really need to concentrate on this side of bike theft, they'll never get a handle on junkies stealing bikes but this other side of bike theft is a professional operation that can be stopped with a bit of good police work

edit- just wondering are there any national stats for how many people have been charged and convicted for stealing bicycles per year? Or is it all labelled 'stolen property'?

Get on to the Minister of Transport:Everyone on this thread should.
    Paschal Donohoe
    TD for Dublin Central & Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport
    Phone: 01 618 3689
    Email: paschal.donohoe@oireachtas.ie

Constituency Office:
    Open 9.30 to 12.30 Monday to Friday

344 North Circular Road
    Phibsborough
    Dublin 7 (near St. Peter’s Church)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Muahahaha wrote: »

Time for a bit if citizen activism, if anyone would like to donate a decent bike with a GPS tracker?

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

Hi all

I know I'm an absolute moron for leaving my bike locked up on O'Connell st at the weekend, but I did so on Friday night after deciding to go out for a few drinks after work. I returned on Sunday (too hungover to collect on Sat) and it was gone.
    I feel like I've lost a limb! Bought it for about 600 pounds in London 3 years ago.
    Is there any point in reporting this? I assume a junkie or <snip> would have seen it and went at it with some kind of cutting device. Was a pretty solid ABUS lock so a hacksaw wouldn't get through it.
    Should I call a police station? Pearse or Store St? Any help would be great. I know I'll 99% never see it again but was just wondering if there's anything I can do. It was locked on the bike staples in the middle of O'Conn opposite Burger King or thereabouts.

Merci!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Report it and give as much detail as you never know it could have been taken off some scum bag already, Store street cover that area for reporting purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

You appear to have solved this crime all by yourself:

"I assume a ***** ** **** would have seen it and went at it with some kind of cutting device"

• Advertisement

have to agree with the above its defo organised Il fire of an email to MOT!

i read somewhere that 4000 bikes a year get stolen then i read that its closer to 20,000
    myself and three people from work had bikes robbed so id believe the second figure!

where are they ending up and who buys a €1000 to €8000 bike without seeing any documentation for it??
    if you buy one of these your just as bad as the one stealing it IMHO!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Hi all

I know I'm an absolute moron for leaving my bike locked up on O'Connell st at the weekend, but I did so on Friday night after deciding to go out for a few drinks after work. I returned on Sunday (too hungover to collect on Sat) and it was gone.
    I feel like I've lost a limb! Bought it for about 600 pounds in London 3 years ago.
    Is there any point in reporting this? I assume a junkie or <snip> would have seen it and went at it with some kind of cutting device. Was a pretty solid ABUS lock so a hacksaw wouldn't get through it.
    Should I call a police station? Pearse or Store St? Any help would be great. I know I'll 99% never see it again but was just wondering if there's anything I can do. It was locked on the bike staples in the middle of O'Conn opposite Burger King or thereabouts.

Merci!

If you don't report it we end up with stats like
    aaronc182 wrote: »

i read somewhere that 4000 bikes a year get stolen then i read that its closer to 20,000

• Site Banned Posts: 69 ✭✭Dr. Lollington

You appear to have solved this crime all by yourself:

"I assume a ***** or **** would have seen it and went at it with some kind of cutting device"

Yeah you're right. It was probably a hard working (quoting deleted post parts) that checked the bike out and came back later with an angle grinder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Less of the racial slurs

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 neildundon

Hi All,

My Trek 1.6 racing bike was stolen from the underground car park in work (Wilton Place-just off baggot street) earlier today. It has several different components.. shimano 105 gear shifters (left one broken so gears not working on big ring) shimano sora drive train and Felt wheelset. Long shot, but please let me know if anyone has any information at all on this.

Thanks for reading,
    Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dubmess

2 bikes taken from garage in Crumlin Saturday night

A silver Tomassini road bike and a KHS track bike.
    Both were sold in the Jamestown Market in Inchicore on Sunday morning, I arrived about an hour too late.

Tomassini was recovered when a guy went into Think Bike in Rathmines with it after purchasing it. Thanks to Facebook the mechanic had seen a post about it.
    Got in touch with the guy who'd bought it and got it back that evening.

KHS is still awol though, unique so easy enough to distinguish. Unfortunately the only pic I have of her is from before I got her sprayed black, put on a chrome fork and some new black wheels! Curved seattube and anodised green threaded Chris King headset are a dead giveaway though.

KHS track frame
    Sprayed black with a silver flake, no decals except red Hell or Win sticker by the bottom bracket.
    Silver straight BLB track fork.
    Black H Plus Son Archetype rims laced to black BLB King hubs.
    Black Selle Italia Turbo Saddle.
    Green Chris King headset.
    Nitto riser bars.
    Black grips with white stars.
    Sugino 75 cranks. Black Dia-Compe Dirty Harry brake lever
    Silver Shimano brake caliper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

dubmess wrote: »
    2 bikes taken from garage in Crumlin Saturday night

A silver Tomassini road bike and a KHS track bike.
    Both were sold in the Jamestown Market in Inchicore on Sunday morning, I arrived about an hour too late.

Tomassini was recovered when a guy went into Think Bike in Rathmines with it after purchasing it. Thanks to Facebook the mechanic had seen a post about it.
    Got in touch with the guy who'd bought it and got it back that evening.

Glad to hear he got it back - kudos to Think Bike. I presume the buyer lost out? Did you think about reporting it to the cops, who might trace the buyer via Think Bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are people checking the Garda Flickr account? Some nice bikes in their with the dross:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157625091734993/

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

neildundon wrote: »
    Hi All,

My Trek 1.6 racing bike was stolen from the underground car park in work (Wilton Place-just off baggot street) earlier today. It has several different components.. shimano 105 gear shifters (left one broken so gears not working on big ring) shimano sora drive train and Felt wheelset. Long shot, but please let me know if anyone has any information at all on this.

Thanks for reading,
    Neil

Just to follow on, this is a picture of this bike (posting as user can't post images)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RainyDay wrote: »
    Time for a bit if citizen activism, if anyone would like to donate a decent bike with a GPS tracker?

I admire your idea but personally I wouldn't get involved with trying to take down an organised criminal gang. If there is 20,000 bikes stolen a year and lets assume the average price they fetch is €350 then that makes the bike theft industry worth some €7 million annually, if that is the extent of it then setting up a sting will likely mean you're disrupting the business of a hardened criminal gang(s) who are going to do whatever it takes to protect their multi million trade in stolen bikes.

Its a job for the Gardai, plain and simple. There must be warehouses in Dublin somewhere full of stolen bikes ready for export. With GPS technology it shouldn't be too hard for the Gardai to locate these warehouses or lock ups. But to do that political will and pressure on the Gardai is needed because they don't seem to be doing it off their own bat.

I don't live too far from Phibsborough so next time I'm there I'll pop into Paschal O'Donohue's office and outline to his staff what I've said on the thread here. I'll report back in due course but don't be holding your breath :o

Advertisement