Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Further to Garda inaction on bike thefts it is interesting to see how they deal with the theft of cattle this morning with a joint press conference with Crimestoppers and the IFA and €10,000 rewards on offer for information leading to arrests.
    The stats on cattle theft (according to the IFA)
    2013 319 animals stolen
    2014 159 animals stolen
    2015 (to date) 59 animals stolen

According to the Dublin Cycling Campaign there has been somewhere in the region of 20,000 bicycles stolen in Ireland in 2014 yet the powers that be seem to be sitting on their hands. But when the farmers come calling the Gardai launch press conferences, information campaigns backed up by €10,000 rewards.

Farmers have every right to have their property protected and the Gardai should be commended on that. But conversely cyclists have those same rights yet despite bike thefts being a much more lucrative business than cattle stealing all we hear about is the cattle stealing. Says it all really about where power lies in this country IMO.

On a side note I had an attempt on my bike last Saturday night approx 12.30am. I locked it on Dame Street to go into a newsagents on my way home, I locked it in the location specifically as it has high footfall so I thought that would be unattractive to a thief. No such luck- I came back to my bike to find two lumps taken out of my U-lock. Luckily it held up and did its job but it was a real eye opener for me, I was barely in the shop 5 or 6 minutes and there was an attempt on it in a spot where dozens of people were walking by every minute. It really shows how out of control this problem is and how theives are operating with complete impunity as they see fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

Wow… loads of bikes stolen. I reckon no bike should be bought second hand without the original receipt from the seller or at least the buyer should scan/photograph the ID of the seller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yanu wrote: »
    Wow… loads of bikes stolen. I reckon no bike should be bought second hand without the original receipt from the seller or at least the buyer should scan/photograph the ID of the seller

Didn't this help the cash for gold business, in that you now need passport / Id when bringing gold in for selling. A bike that can be several hundred quid should be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Brother's Hybrid Rapid 3 stolen from shed in back garden. :mad:
    Lock cut and bike taken over the wall.
    Wonder if they fixed the puncture or just threw it into a van or something.

Same model as this - http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/rapid.3/7844/45454/

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Didn't this help the cash for gold business, in that you now need passport / Id when bringing gold in for selling. A bike that can be several hundred quid should be no different.

How could they sell it if nobody is buying it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Luckily it held up and did its job but it was a real eye opener for me, I was barely in the shop 5 or 6 minutes and there was an attempt on it in a spot where dozens of people were walking by every minute.

Don't know about you guys but anytime i'm passing bike racks in Dublin, I scan the racks for suspicious looking characters/activity. Even if I'm just waiting for the Luas etc...

I think it's an automatic things once you've had a bike stolen

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Somewhere in the city there has to be a warehouse or lock up that these gangs use for storage and as a clearing shop.

What I'd like to see is an operation conducted as follows.

1. 10-20 of these trackers are purchased and installed on bikes
    integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/Spybike.jsp

2. Bikes (cheap) are spread around hot-spots with sub standard locks with the aim of getting them taken

3 See if there is any pattern in the final location of the stolen bikes

Yes, it's be an expensive thing to do but it could be crowd funded I believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Re farmers getting stock stolen, it is very much not the case that the Gardaí act. A neighbour of ours down home had cattle and sheep stolen, and was told-"nothing we can do". Nothing. A ram be bought for €3000 the day before was amongst the stolen animals.
    It's also important to note, that whilst bikes are important to people (I LOVE my bikes, I would be absolutely DEVASTATED if one were to get stolen), live stock are a farmers living. Bikes, unless you're a courier or pro cyclist are not why you make your living on. They are, in the vast and overwhelming majority of cases a hobby or transport. I don't want to minimize bike theft, but it is not comparable to getting your livelihood stolen with no recompense.

On shady characters, I was in Blackrock two summers ago, eating Ice-cream with a partner beside the bike racks. I noticed a hipster guy banging and turning a bike upside down but I didn't think anything of it as he was a well dressed hipster looking dude, I assumed he forgot his key or something :o. The person I was with however stared at him, and I asked loudly 'why are you starting at your man?' Duh Gadetra! Yer man scarpered when he couldn't get the bike and the penny loudly dropped with me. He did it seeing us looking at him. A) I can't believe I was so stupid, and will not judge a thief by their cover! and B) how brazen it was. He did it in broad daylight in front of people looking at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 SilverBullet

Hi, just had my bike stolen in Ranelagh opposite Tesco Express, it's a Poison road bike, it's German so rare enough over here I'd imagine. Black frame with Poison in white letters on the diagonal part of the frame. Model is a Cyan it as far as I know. Shimano gear and brakes etc. detachable rear mud guard. Sentimental value.
    If anyone comes across it please let me know.

Cheers
    Ed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was in a shop in Phibsboro earlier today. 2 kids walking around buying stuff, went outside and one of them came back in realising his bike was stolen.. He had just bought loads of stuff for his bike too I noticed. No idea who they are, or any info about the bike but it just made me angry. I can see why some people justify to themselves taking expensive bikes, career crims and whatnot and their horrible distorted logic that they are supplying an illicit demand,(well I can't see why, and I think it's reprehensible), but this is just low I feel. Crime of opportunity, probably by some git who'll try and sell it asap or dump it along the canal for kicks.

Watch out in that area because It wouldn't be the first I've heard of it in that area. It's high traffic and always some bikes around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 docroc

Hi,
    My Giant Tcr Advanced was stolen over the weekend,
    If anyone spots it and could let me know that would be great.
    It's a 2009 team rabobank replica, mainly white with some blue on it
    It has sram red shifters and pro lite bracciano wheels.
    Can't post pictures as not enough posts.
    Thanks
    Donal
    This happened in Merrion square

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

docroc wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Donal

Drop me a PM with a link to the pics on flickr or google or whatever and I will throw them up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

CramCycle wrote: »
    Drop me a PM with a link to the pics on flickr or google or whatever and I will throw them up.

location would be handy as well.

I'm always on the lookout for some of the more noticeable bikes I see on this thread when I'm out and about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

docroc wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Donal
    This happened in Merrion square

TCR_Advanced_Rabobank.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

last thursday/friday at 07.30 ish I saw a guy on a gorgeous black cube road bike at the junction of gardiner st/talbot st. the bike was to small for him(he was about 5'10-6'00 approx) he didnt have any hi-vis gear, lights or helmet on, while he was stopped @ the lights i copped the pedals were SPD & he was wearing ordinary runners. i havent seen him any day since.
    you wouldnt have to be hercule poirot to figure out he was not the owner(cant realy imagine the owner lending it either without shoes, lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

ya can never be 100% sure in those situations,

though.... i did see a couple of lads on a really nice giant carbon a year or so back near nutgrove, one lad giving the other one a crossbar :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ya can never be 100% sure in those situations,

though.... i did see a couple of lads on a really nice giant carbon a year or so back near nutgrove, one lad giving the other one a crossbar :eek:

I used to work around smithfield. You'd see the odd character (grey tracksuit bottoms, tucked into socks above canvas runners and a wispy moustache) wandering around on very hi spec bikes. Couldn't jump to conclusions of course - perhaps there's a local cycling club there....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Just thought I'd let you know that the Gardai called me today to tell me they found my bike and that's its in good knick. I'm collecting it tomorrow. Never thought I'd see the day. It just goes to show that you should take note of the serial number and report it if it's stolen. Because you never know!

To say I'm happy is an understatement!

wrmwit wrote: »
    My Giant Escape bike was stolen from the basement car park in Bushy Park House the past few days. Noticed it gone this morning. I notified the Gardai and I've gone through the various websites. The scumbags left the rear wheel attached to rack. I know it's a long shot but hey, I've got nothing to loose!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did the Gardai read the serial number and match it to your report? Maybe they are entering the details into PULSE and all that then...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bartelby

Black trek bike stolen tonight about 9.15 this evening from stoneybatter. It had a broken front break. I had an lock that cost €50 and was supposed to be unbreakable.....cut straight through

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Former TD Eamon Ryan had his bike stolen outside the Green Party HQ on Suffolk St
    http://www.thejournal.ie/eamon-ryan-bike-stolen-1960983-Feb2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Former TD Eamon Ryan had his bike stolen outside the Green Party HQ on Suffolk St
    http://www.thejournal.ie/eamon-ryan-bike-stolen-1960983-Feb2015/

He's on Loiveline now appealing for its return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

the Green Party HQ on Suffolk St

old-irish-telephone.jpg
    ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Carrera road bike stolen from Grand Canal st lower yesterday evening. Went in for a coffee in 3fe - came back out and it was gone!

My mate locked his bike to a pole using a kryptonite lock - then used the flex cable to wrap around my bike to lock it. They cut it off in 2 minutes.

There's a lock around the saddle with a key broken in it - that would be the main give away if they haven't cut that off already. CCTV from the spar down the road shows 2 young lads - tracksuits + air Max runners....the usual Dublin scumbag, walk by...then a minute later come back cycling my bike.

Probs a long shot but if anyone gets offered a bike which looks like mine I'd appreciate it if you gave me a shout!

Attached pics from CCTV and of my bike.
    Screenshot_2015-03-01-11-33-53_zpsi3bexvxj.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ddartt

If someone has had their bike stolen yesterday evening from Clontarf Rd DART station please PM me. When waiting for the train I've heard some noise from outside and then saw someone loading a bike in the back of the car. Not necessarily it was stolen as I'm not sure where the bike appeared from, but I took a photo just in case.

I'd also appreciate if someone can advise which Garda station would look after this area, so I can pass information to them in case it was indeed stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ddartt wrote: »
    If someone has had their bike stolen yesterday evening from Clontarf Rd DART station please PM me. When waiting for the train I've heard some noise from outside and then saw someone loading a bike in the back of the car. Not necessarily it was stolen as I'm not sure where the bike appeared from, but I took a photo just in case.

I'd also appreciate if someone can advise which Garda station would look after this area, so I can pass information to them in case it was indeed stolen.

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=1020&Lang=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ddartt wrote: »

I regularly collect my bike and my girlfriends bike from the dart station. Hope no police come knocking at my door :P

Good job though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    Carrera road bike stolen from Grand Canal st lower yesterday evening. Went in for a coffee in 3fe - came back out and it was gone!

My mate locked his bike to a pole using a kryptonite lock - then used the flex cable to wrap around my bike to lock it. They cut it off in 2 minutes.

There's a lock around the saddle with a key broken in it - that would be the main give away if they haven't cut that off already. CCTV from the spar down the road shows 2 young lads - tracksuits + air Max runners....the usual Dublin scumbag, walk by...then a minute later come back cycling my bike.

Probs a long shot but if anyone gets offered a bike which looks like mine I'd appreciate it if you gave me a shout!

Sorry I can't help but I saw what I presume was your cut kryptonite cable next to a pole on GC street on Sunday afternoon and I remarked to myself that I have to be more careful locking mine. I regularly use the cable to anchor my bike rather than the ulock as I always assumed they were fairly bulletproof too, being kryptonite-branded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

benjamin d wrote: »
    Sorry I can't help but I saw what I presume was your cut kryptonite cable next to a pole on GC street on Sunday afternoon and I remarked to myself that I have to be more careful locking mine. I regularly use the cable to anchor my bike rather than the ulock as I always assumed they were fairly bulletproof too, being kryptonite-branded.

:eek: Seriously? You could get through a wire lock with a nail clippers.

Use your cable lock to secure your saddle or front wheel. And that would really depend on how expensive those parts are.

Advertisement