Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's about time Hal made an appearance on this thread again...

Good advice and entertaining. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ddartt

I regularly collect my bike and my girlfriends bike from the dart station. Hope no police come knocking at my door :P

Good job though ;)

Well Im sure you wouldn't mind a quick chat with Garda if one time it may help to recover a stolen bike when they knock on someone else's door? :) I've had 2 bikes stolen, 1 recovered thanks for someone from this board, so I'm paranoid about this...

@endacl, thanks for the link, I gave them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ddartt wrote: »
    Well Im sure you wouldn't mind a quick chat with Garda if one time it may help to recover a stolen bike when they knock on someone else's door? :) I've had 2 bikes stolen, 1 recovered thanks for someone from this board, so I'm paranoid about this...

@endacl, thanks for the link, I gave them a call.

Oh for sure, that's why I said "Good job ;)"

The really annoying thing is that these types of thefts are witnessed all the time but most people do nothing because they simply don't care or worse, don't know what to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just found out that the bike I reported as stolen via bikeregister.ie has been returned to its owner courtesy of a Garda from Pearse Street station. Great to see the system can work when a small effort is made, and the Gardai do follow up when they're given something to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

My bike was stolen outside Tesco in Inchicore at 17:30 this evening. I locked it to a pole with no sign at the top (not a good idea). One young lad climbed the pole using a bin beside it and the other lifted the bike up to the other over the top. All of this happen within 2-5 minutes as I bought milk and a can of coke in the Tesco Express.

I checked the shops for CCTV but nothing working. Walked to Gardai station and reported it stolen. On the way home, i walked through the real dodgy apartments in Inchicore, and you've guessed it, I walked into a little ****ty scumbag on my bike with lock still attached. It recognised me from a short distance as I approached, the sh*tbag must have been watching me as I entered Tesco. He jumped off the bike and it rolled straight into my hands, not even falling. He ran back into the apartment complex, I jumped on my bike and I'm just in the door. I've had a hard time since moving to Inchicore and I'm going to consider this one as a win for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Glad you got your ride back, do me a favour, go out & buy a lotto ticket as your luck is in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The problem is that the scobe is always the scobe and looking out for Scoby things to do. You need to keep alert at all times when scobes are about.

Was travelling out in the Luas towards City West a few months ago - 2 scobes sitting opposite me in typical scobe attire. They were just chatting about the usual things scobes talk about.

When the Luas pulled into kingswood, one of them suddenly got up and bolted towards the door. I thought they'd seen inspectors and decided to do a runner - but no - one of them had spotted a bike laid up beside two young lads chatting on the platform - the scobe grabbed the bike and cycled off before the young lad on the platform even knew what was going on. Bike presumably never to be seen again.

The scobe instinct was strong in that one unfortunately. Moral of the story - stay alert when scobes are about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Glad you got your ride back, do me a favour, go out & buy a lotto ticket as your luck is in!

Luck played it's part, as did the bike since the deprived child scumbag didn't feel comfortable making his escape on a fixed gear track bike. He jumped that single geared ship pretty quickly leaving it rolling into my arms.

I had bought some sprockets for the bike that morning since thinking of using the bike in Sundrive so I'm glad to have it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The idea behind this seems very good. I'm not sure of the range though I assume you have to be within bluetooth range in order to receive signals? Although he does mention wifi?

The retail price is eye watering but even with the expected false alarms it seems a clever idea.

A step in the right direction if the lock is as good as a higher end krytonite

http://skylock.cc/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

If you already have a good lock and just want to be able to track your stolen bike smartgrips is a good idea (does a lot more than just tracking, if they ever go in production...): Smartgrips
    Cheaper option would be to just stick a trackrBravo to your bike: TrackrBravo
    They both depend on "crowd gps" though, as in there's no built in GPS, but if someone else with the app walks by your stolen trackr you will get a notification of the last location (the person walking by won't). Of course this works best with a lot of people having the app/trackr and it seems TrackrB are well ahead of any other company on this front.

• Advertisement

It was more the tamper alert I was impressed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Looks good, however if it actually gets stolen that's it. I also think you'll only get that alert if you're within Bluetooth(/wifi?) range. Lock in combination with TrackrBravo maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

All high tech do-daddery aside, the best way to avoid having a bike nicked is to lock it properly, with at least two decent locks of different types, in a location with good footfall and/or cameras. And to make sure it's less nickable than the other bikes locked near it. I'm not anti high tech do-daddery. I just don't think the tried and trusted method of 'lock it properly' can be easily beaten. When I notice a cut or broken lock, it's invariably a cheap piece of crap. And there are always bikes parked up in the vicinity with dent locks on them. Why weren't they taken? Because they were a bit harder to take. The summer doesn't care whether your bike is worth a couple of hundred or a grand. He's selling it on for fifty quid either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

cant say its a stolen bike for certain but on Monday last, I was on the dart between Bootestown & Blackrock and I saw a roadbike was dumped down the bank on the sea water inlet for the bird sanctuary, the tapes on the handle bars was snow white. havent been out that way since so not sure if its still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

If anyone had a Jupiter mens bike stolen from D'Olier st today, contact me. I saw something a little weird (but not that weird, probably nothing) and have a photo and stuff of a lad.
    Anyway yeah hopefully I'm just being a paranoid bike thief hating psycho and it's grand. Lemme know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

I had my Cervelo P3C TT bike stolen from the garage at some stage over the last two months. I have been off the bike since July with a bad back so I only noticed it gone by chance this morning.

It is the same colour scheme as this one.

Cervelo_P3C.jpg

Other features -

No seat clamp or saddle.
    Red 3T front fork instead of the Wolf one in the pic above.
    FSA stem
    SRM pro - wired with yellow Look Keo pedals.
    USE TULA aero bars with only a rear derailleur shifter and sram brakes.
    Old dura ace rear derailleur and ultegra front derailleur.
    Old 105 brakes

The rear drop outs have a DIY fix on them as the screw that guides them was broken.

This may be knocking about South Dublin at the moment - any sightings appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Black Specialized Sirrus stolen from beside Food Room cafe in Clontarf on Friday evening or Saturday morning/afternoon March 21st.

Rear wheel quick release removed and took bicycle that was locked inside apartment building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 makrele

Specialized Crosstrail in Silver

mudgards, bike stand, quick release wheels

stolen from the cycle rack of a nursing home on Gilford Road, Sandymount on Saturday, 21st March between 7.45am and 5pm. I used a German U-lock to secure wheel and frame only (unfortunately), so they must have just carried it away.
    The area is covered by CCTV, the gards took the details and the bike incl. serial number had been registered with gardai.

I spend about an hour every day on the bike, love it dearly and need it as a daily commute. I feel very naked without it.

Who are these people that steal bikes?

makrele wrote: »
    I used a German U-lock to secure wheel and frame only (unfortunately), so they must have just carried it away

Did you not secure it to anything but itself?

Keep an eye on done deal/adverts/gumtree.

Summers nearly here and the markets that go with it so bike theft will be on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Did you not secure it to anything but itself?

Keep an eye on done deal/adverts/gumtree.

Summers nearly here and the markets that go with it so bike theft will be on the up.

It's nothing to do Summer or anything else. This is a year round epidemic and it's been largely ignored by those that should be doing something about it.
    Added to that, the relative lack of real punishment for most of these types of crimes, there is little risk attached for the perpetrator.
    The city centre has a large population of people who do not work, don't intend to and yet are afforded free/subsidised accommodation in the city centre.They lower the quality of life for everyone. Robbing the bikes of those who actually do work and are forced to commute because they can't afford to live in the city centre. It's upside down thinking.
    It's bonkers.

• Advertisement

Hmm. We'll agree to disagree. Summer brings good weather which brings out the fair weather cyclists which bring easy pickings for said scumbags.

I'm not condoning anything and as with most realise that it's an issue that needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sakrist

Just want to share this information.
    Does not save to store bike in underground parking of Grande Central, Sandyford, Dublin 18.

My bike was stolen in 2014 october.
    Bike model "Specialized Hardrock Sport 2011", black and white colors.

Exact like this one images.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/dab/106/f5e/50918/specialized-hardrock-sport-disc-2011-mountain-bike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Felt F5
    2012 Model
    Black/Red
    Stolen from my house on Baggot Lane

Would really appreciate it if anyone could let me know of its whereabouts!

Currently has all black Conti Gatorskin tyres on it

3UWTSS2h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Bought one of these at the weekend - remote sensor in the garage and an indoor unit you can position anywhere in the house -this can even be plugged into a power source (not supplied) for longevity.

Might give some early warning for someones pride and job in the shed. It's loud enough.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-8-mar/product-detail/ps/p/wireless-driveway-alarm/

16 euros or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Red/White Specialized MTB (2009 Rockhopper or Hard Rock, can't even remember which), stolen from shed in Castlelands in Balbriggan on thursday night 02/04/15, pic of similar below (actually looking at this, i think it was a Hard Rock alright). They also stole an American Classic 420 front wheel.

13682.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 etaraoconnell

Hi please keep an eye out on social networks, my friend & I were heading of to the country when my bike & my friends bike were stolen from Clarehall on Thursday. The TREK is blue and white and Black and Focus black, Blue , White both had lazy breaks

Photos on my Facebook or phone <snip>

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hi please keep an eye out on social networks, my friend & I were heading of to the country when my bike & my friends bike were stolen from Clarehall on Thursday. The TREK is blue and white and Black and Focus black, Blue , White both had lazy breaks

Photos on my Facebook or phone <snip>

Please read the forum charter before posting - you will see from there we have a dedicated stolen bike thread which is why your post has been moved here

Also I would suggest not posting phone numbers, as you may find yourself inundated with spammers and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Red/White Specialized MTB (2009 Rockhopper or Hard Rock, can't even remember which), stolen from shed in Castlelands in Balbriggan on thursday night 02/04/15, pic of similar below (actually looking at this, i think it was a Hard Rock alright). They also stole an American Classic 420 front wheel.

Update on this: bike is back home safe after appearing for sale on adverts.ie, suspect in custody, many thanks to Balbriggan Gardai

Advertisement