Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Update on this: bike is back home safe after appearing for sale on adverts.ie, suspect in custody, many thanks to Balbriggan Gardai

Great news always love to hear them getting caught not that they will be hindered in any way but still a result.

Hate thieving scum

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭del_boy13

Rose DX 3000 stolen from my car park of Beacon Hospital Sandyford between 12 and 4.30 today. Unusual bike not very many around with full Ultegra groupset, mechanical disc brakes, Mavic Crossone wheels, Conti 4 season tires, only fitted these yesterday :(

Stolen Bike-Rose DX 3000.jpg

If anyone sees it online or anywhere else for sale please let me know by DM

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Anyone missing a old LeMond ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/17120774606/in/set-72157651541502429

or a newish Carerra Trd

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/16370417183/

Not much else of note in their collection

Via Twitter
    Mountjoy Gardaí are seeking owners these bicycles in their possession.
    Please contact Mountjoy on 01 666 8600

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

DominoDub wrote: »
    Anyone missing a old LeMond ?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/17120774606/in/set-72157651541502429

or a newish Carerra Trd

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/16370417183/

Not much else of note in their collection

Via Twitter
    Mountjoy Gardaí are seeking owners these bicycles in their possession.
    Please contact Mountjoy on 01 666 8600

Interesting position for the rear brake caliper On that LeMond :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Robroy36 wrote: »
    I had my Cervelo P3C TT bike stolen from the garage at some stage over the last two months. I have been off the bike since July with a bad back so I only noticed it gone by chance this morning.

It is the same colour scheme as this one.

Cervelo_P3C.jpg

Other features -

No seat clamp or saddle.
    Red 3T front fork instead of the Wolf one in the pic above.
    FSA stem
    SRM pro - wired with yellow Look Keo pedals.
    USE TULA aero bars with only a rear derailleur shifter and sram brakes.
    Old dura ace rear derailleur and ultegra front derailleur.
    Old 105 brakes

The rear drop outs have a DIY fix on them as the screw that guides them was broken.

This may be knocking about South Dublin at the moment - any sightings appreciated!

A win for the good guys yesterday. This turned up listed on Adverts.ie on Thursday evening, a lot of phone calls and texts later two lads arrived in a petrol station in South Dublin and were promptly greeted by yours truly and 6 undercover Gardai. Many thanks to the Gardai at Terrenure, Rathmines and Newcastle West Garda stations - efficieny and proffesionalism personified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

A win for the good guys yesterday. This turned up listed on Adverts.ie on Thursday evening, a lot of phone calls and texts later two lads arrived in a petrol station in South Dublin and were promptly greeted by yours truly and 6 undercover Gardai. Many thanks to the Gardai at Terrenure, Rathmines and Newcastle West Garda stations - efficieny and proffesionalism personified.
    Great news! That actually made me happy:-) id say you are delighted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

6 gardai!

6 gardai!

Yep. They were not messing about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thats fantastic news.

As a matter of interest how much were these **** looking for the bike?.. Just wondering if they knew what they had or were they just selling a ''racer''.

One of the reasons I ask is last year my son was buying a bike and we walked away from so many dodger sellers, one up in Tallaght actually laughed and said he'd a constant supply from I.T. Tallaght (for obvious reasons its not called Tallagh I.T. /TIT lol).

Thats fantastic news.

As a matter of interest how much were these **** looking for the bike?.. Just wondering if they knew what they had or were they just selling a ''racer''.

One of the reasons I ask is last year my son was buying a bike and we walked away from so many dodger sellers, one up in Tallaght actually laughed and said he'd a constant supply from I.T. Tallaght (for obvious reasons its not called Tallagh I.T. /TIT lol).

They were looking for 1k. I had the neck to bargain them down to 950, partly for the laugh and partly to ensure they didn't get the impression that my eye were popping out of their sockets staring at the advert. In reality it is probably worth about 2.5k.

• Advertisement

They were looking for 1k. I had the neck to bargain them down to 950, partly for the laugh and partly to ensure they didn't get the impression that my eye were popping out of their sockets staring at the advert. In reality it is probably worth about 2.5k.

Well done on playing it cool, **** probably thought they were in for a handy grand in cash.

Hopefully they're convicted now.. hey, they must have crapped themselves when six cops got the jump on them :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

You say the guards in Rathmines, Tallaght and Newcastle West were involved? Newcastle West is a long way from the other two. Where was the bike stolen from again?
    It's heartening to see the Gardai taking an interest nonetheless. Hopefully more of these thieves are caught; as it really is an epidemic right now. Up to now, I've had little belief that anything much was been done about it.
    Your story would give me some hope.

The ad was up on adverts the other evening. I'm guessing it's the same one the seller was based in Rathkeale looking for €1000.

Looks to be taken down now. The ad stood out a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I realise I never posted my story. I found my stolen bike on adverts as well (about 3 months after had been stolen). Similar story to yours, some text and calls later a meet was organised South Dublin, gardai informed and came out in unmarked car. Before we arrived gardai already had suspect and bike. Bike handed back after confirming serial numbers. Gardai believed (and me as well) that the seller wasn't the one who stole the bike so he wasn't held. Was happy enough to have the bike back. This happened late last year with the bike stolen around sept. So my advice is keep checking the usual advert sites, I had nearly given up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

flyguy wrote: »
    Gardai believed (and me as well) that the seller wasn't the one who stole the bike so he wasn't held.

Not sure why they would let him off so easliy - ignorance is no defence, and receiving stolen property is a criminal offence.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Not sure why they would let him off so easliy - ignorance is no defence, and receiving stolen property is a criminal offence.

I can't imagine it would be difficult to buy a stolen bike thinking it was a genuine sale and then sell said bike further down the road if you don't take to cycling.

I'd imagine something similar happened in the case mentioned.

Obviously buying a bike you know to be worth 2k for 200 is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,292 ✭✭✭✭endacl

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The ad was up on adverts the other evening. I'm guessing it's the same one the seller was based in Rathkeale looking for €1000.

Looks to be taken down now. The ad stood out a mile.

Rathkeale?

Hmmmmmm......

:rolleyes:

endacl wrote: »
    Rathkeale?

Hmmmmmm......

:rolleyes:

That stood out alright. What a surprise :(

That stood out alright. What a surprise :(

Just noticed the username, ever lay down any of the black stuff with 'em? :P

Just noticed the username, ever lay down any of the black stuff with 'em? :P

No, I was never that stuck:D

• Advertisement

Bet he'll do ya a nice bit o carpet though ;):p

Just thought I'd ask, well 'Auf Wiedersehen, Pet' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Is there no app yet for this,did see this idea called cricket to keep bike safe to some respect. Surely there is some form of App/GPS thats small enough to mount on the bike externally or internally if possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Is there no app yet for this,did see this idea called cricket to keep bike safe to some respect. Surely there is some form of App/GPS thats small enough to mount on the bike externally or internally if possible ?

The main issue with a GPS solution is probably size/battery life - GPS chipsets can be quite power hungry, and you would need to include some other form of radio (most likely GSM/3G) in order to actually transmit the location data from the GPS - without this the GPS on its own isn't much use, after all, the bike being already stolen. Powering both these radios would require a significant battery, which results in a bulky solution, and thus one easily removed by a thief. Cricket tries to address this by not using GPS, and using Bluetooth LE to transmit if its motion sensor is activated - much more power efficient, but potentially prone to a lot of false alarms if you lock your bike in a communal rack. Additionally you need to be within a fairly small radius of your bike to detect such activations. If the bike actually gets stolen, it relies on a scatter net type solution for location, whereby it acts as a beacon for other cricket users, but this is only useful if Cricket is widespread. Oh, and that's assuming the person stealing the bike can't take the Cricket off within 5 secs using the tools they have used to break/cut your lock......

Unfortunately it's still a non-trivial problem to solve.

jimmynokia wrote: »

2 similar solutions are smrtGRiPs: http://igg.me/at/smrtgrips/x/4033518 and TackrBravo: http://igg.me/at/TrackRbravo/x/4033518
    How reliable they are depends on the amount of other users (better "crowd gps" coverage). My money is on TrackrBravo since they've sold the most and can be used to track anything so more potential users.

I can't imagine it would be difficult to buy a stolen bike thinking it was a genuine sale and then sell said bike further down the road if you don't take to cycling.

I'd imagine something similar happened in the case mentioned.

Obviously buying a bike you know to be worth 2k for 200 is a different story.
    Until the Gardai start prosecuting buyers, the buying will continue. As long as the buying continues, the stealing continues.

Until the Gardai start prosecuting buyers, the buying will continue. As long as the buying continues, the stealing continues.

Sure how would that work? I've bought numerous bikes/bike parts second hand never a receipt checked or received. I assumed to think the seller was genuine in all instances.

So by your logic if it turns out I was wrong once I'm liable for prosecution.

I understand that if you cut off the demand then hopefully robberies will devrease but I'd imagine the vast majority of stolen bikes are being shipped abroad.

Sure how would that work? I've bought numerous bikes/bike parts second hand never a receipt checked or received. I assumed to think the seller was genuine in all instances.

So by your logic if it turns out I was wrong once I'm liable for prosecution.

I understand that if you cut off the demand then hopefully robberies will devrease but I'd imagine the vast majority of stolen bikes are being shipped abroad.
    So if you were prosecuted, or if one of your club mates was prosecuted, would you be more likely to look for a receipt the next time you buy 2/hand, or less likely?

And as for bikes being sent abroad, it's not something I know anything about, but it would suggest a degree of structure and organisation that is probably beyond your average bike thief.

So if you were prosecuted, or if one of your club mates was prosecuted, would you be more likely to look for a receipt the next time you buy 2/hand, or less likely?

No I actually wouldn't be pushed either way to be honest I like to think I'm a good judge of character and bought a number of things off regular contributors on here without asking for proof of ownership.

I'd imagine I'm not alone either. Until they actually start dealing out punishments appropriate to the crime committed in every regard then all crime will continue.

• Advertisement

And as for bikes being sent abroad, it's not something I know anything about, but it would suggest a degree of structure and organisation that is probably beyond your average bike thief.

It's a long story but I'll try and save the details. It was obvious that the seller didn't steal the bike, for one they were holding out for a better price on adverts, something you wouldn't expect if you're looking for a quick sale of stolen goods. There were other indications as well.
    I think the fact that the seller has no bike and lost a certain amount of money could work as a deterrent as well, but if in doubt there should have been prosecution.

Advertisement