Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Reported ad as suspected "stolen goods" to Donedeal.
    Hope above post us correct and owner is reunited with his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Reported ad as suspected "stolen goods" to Donedeal.

I don't know if this was the best course of action. The seller may get alerted before Garda does anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Alek wrote: »
    I don't know if this was the best course of action. The seller may get alerted before Garda does anything...

The bike has been recovered and arrests were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

I've reported "suspected stolen items" before and Donedeal have protocol for handling these issues and it doesn't involve " letting the seller know".
    Sounds like a great result anyway.

The bike has been recovered and arrests were made.

But how do you know? Within 6 hours from posting the ad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Hi all. I saw the bike on done deal and pretended to be a buyer and met the scumbag selling it last night. The gardai were with me in an unmarked car. Delighted to get it back and all in one piece. The power of social media. Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Trig1 wrote: »
    Hi all. I saw the bike on done deal and pretended to be a buyer and met the scumbag selling it last night. The gardai were with me in an unmarked car. Delighted to get it back and all in one piece. The power of social media. Thanks all

Excellent news!!! It's still up on donedeal, possibly as evidence.

On a side note, the scumbag thief is obviously retarded, advertising a high end bike for €600 within days of stealing it. Ireland's dumbest criminal.

Great stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

great result, happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

That idiot had (what I assume to be) his real name up on donedeal as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,063 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

But how do you know? Within 6 hours from posting the ad?
    I think Eamonnator is a current or ex-garda with contacts.

This is based, solely on his extraneous use, of commas, which reminds me, of a garda giving evidence, in a district court, from his notebook.

For my amusement I read all of his posts in my fake garda voice. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lumen wrote: »

This is based, solely on his extraneous use, of commas, which reminds me, of a garda giving evidence, in a district court, from his notebook.

True, ex-garda, with no contacts, however, in this case, my first wife told me about the recovery of the bike, It was "on Facebook".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Lumen wrote: »

On sure way of telling - ask him to pronounce "vehicle". If it's "veh-ickle", sure sign of a guard. :pac:

All joking aside, I managed to reunite a car key and it's owner though boards, a member of AGS (who is also a boardsie) contacted me and owner and key were reunited. Never underestimate the power of boards (and social media!).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If anyone had a black blue Trek racer stolen around Trinity area I may have witnessed its thief carrying it towards IFSC area. Saw him carrying it on shoulder, while he cycled his ill fitting and shoddy looking mountain bike.

He proceeded to rip locks off and throw them in the Liffey and I followed a little to see where he was going til it got a bit too sketchy.

Reported to store street Gardai with description of bike and scrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 brianor14

Hi guys

I have had my cube aim mtb stolen from secure lockup at my apartment in blackrock. It's 19" 29r blue and white with front and back mudguards.

As I was away with work for a month I'm not sure of the exact date it was nicked.

Would appreciate any info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

brianor14 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have had my cube aim mtb stolen from secure lockup at my apartment in blackrock. It's 19" 29r blue and white with front and back mudguards.

As I was away with work for a month I'm not sure of the exact date it was nicked.

Would appreciate any info

A picture would probably help.

Since you're a new user to Boards, I don't think you can upload photos here but if you upload it to another site (imageshack, flickr, etc.) you can share the link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Hi folks - if someone with more posts could please help out by re-posting the links below. Two bikes stolen from shed at home in Stillorgan wee small hours of yesterday morning.

h t t p://imgur.com/TUtnMRE

Scott Addict R1 road bike 54cm:
    Distinctive marks - Rub marks from light on rear of integrated seatpost. ISP cut to 73.3cm from top saddle to centre bb
    Distinctive characteristics. Was running particularly well as I'd only just replaced chainrings, chain and had given the bb bearing a good lubing. Answers to 'Charlene' :-(

h t t p://imgur.com/YOBAsVJ

Sunn Prim 29er - small - no distinctive marks yet as I'd only taken her out twice :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

TUtnMRE
    Hi folks - if someone with more posts could please help out by re-posting the links below. Two bikes stolen from shed at home in Stillorgan wee small hours of yesterday morning.

h t t p://imgur.com/TUtnMRE

Scott Addict R1 road bike 54cm:
    Distinctive marks - Rub marks from light on rear of integrated seatpost. ISP cut to 73.3cm from top saddle to centre bb
    Distinctive characteristics. Was running particularly well as I'd only just replaced chainrings, chain and had given the bb bearing a good lubing. Answers to 'Charlene' :-(

h t t p://imgur.com/YOBAsVJ

Sunn Prim 29er - small - no distinctive marks yet as I'd only taken her out twice :-(

http://imgur.com/TUtnMRE
    http://imgur.com/YOBAsVJ

Hope they turn up.

TUtnMRE
    YOBAsVJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

traprunner wrote: »

Do you mind if I ask where in Stillorgan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i notice a lot of bikes keep in sheds etc, got say if keeping them in secure garage or house isn't an option then a heavy duty lock to something solid and immovable would work, as always this just reduces the risk. Bike crime is huge at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

great to hear

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sebcity wrote: »
    Do you mind if I ask where in Stillorgan?

I presume the poster was talking about Stillorgan in south Dublin on the N11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume the poster was talking about Stillorgan in south Dublin on the N11

Ha! Yeah I presumed that too. I also live there. Was just wondering what part as my bikes were also stolen, so was just seeing are we neighbours.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

sebcity wrote: »
    Ha! Yeah I presumed that too. I also live there. Was just wondering what part as my bikes were also stolen, so was just seeing are we neighbours.

I would drop a PM as you don't want to give your address away on a public forum too specifically

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Got my bike back (also stolen about 12 days ago in the Stillorgan area), many thanks to the Gardai for their assistance

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Chaps as a fyi, the guy who had by bike mentioned some Polish site that loads of stolen stuff is sold on dodgy done deal of some sort, didnt catch the name but if anyone knows it, its worth having a look

Do you mean www.allegro.pl ? I guess as many stolen bikes, proportionally, as on ebay.com. Its just another huge auction site (well, bigger than donedeal or adverts!) with no control over legal status of items being sold.

It may have been, didnt hear it too well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Do you mean www.allegro.pl ? I guess as many stolen bikes, proportionally, as on ebay.com. Its just another huge auction site (well, bigger than donedeal or adverts!) with no control over legal status of items being sold.

They're pricing stuff in zlotys? I thought Poland was in the eurozone?

It doesn't look on a quick glance like a fency place - the prices are as high as on Irish secondhand sites.

• Advertisement

Eurozone? Nope. We don't want this micky mouse currency :P

Advertisement