Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Had my cube bike stolen from the LUAS stop at Fatima yesterday evening between 7-8

Had a cryponite lock on it but they cut through the Sheffield stand

If anyone sees it for sale on any of the sites please let me know

What format does the frame number comprise of

I have two sets of digits in my records for my bike, just wondering if there is a set format for the frame number?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

pclive wrote: »
    Had my cube bike stolen from the LUAS stop at Fatima yesterday evening between 7-8
    Moved from Cycling Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

pclive wrote:

Sorry to hear about your bike being robbed. The cutting through the stand is worrying. Did I read somewhere on here that the Sheffield Stands at the Luas stops might be substandard??

Its very worrying indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sorry to hear about your bike being robbed. The cutting through the stand is worrying. Did I read somewhere on here that the Sheffield Stands at the Luas stops might be substandard??
    Some were questioning the thickness. I think someone saw one cut, possibly at killiney dart station which looked thin. I always give posts like that a tap to see if it sounds too thin.

The original intended way to use a kryptonite D/U lock is to go through the back wheel, the wheel itself then becomes a lock for the frame. If someone cut the stand and it was locked this way they could at least not cycle off on it, so might be put off.

locktechnique1.jpg

It might also put off theives who use the twisting technique to pop locks with the frame. You are likely to wreck the wheel if you tried it, and so again not be able to easily cycle off.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

It's also worth remembering, that some of the older Kryptonite locks can be opened with a bic pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah it was me that posted the cut one at Killiney which stil isnt fixed, it was paper thin, easily done by hand with a pound shop hacksaw nevermind an angle grinder, Ill never use them again anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What format does the frame number comprise of

I have two sets of digits in my records for my bike, just wondering if there is a set format for the frame number?

I'd like to know this too.

I'd like to know this too.

I found out that the CUBE frame numbers are WOW followed by 5 numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

If anyone sees it for sale on any of the sites please let me know

Lads please think twice before leaving a decent bike anywhere around the city, these little cnuts have had held angle grinders that cut through most locks in seconds..

To the poster above, all I can say is check bikes for sale on line or maybe put the word out around the area that you'll pay to get it back.

I would really wish that Adverts.ie and other secondhand sites required ID, frame number and receipt before advertising bikes.

I'm currently looking at a bike I might like, but the advertiser has only ever had one ad, and I'm doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I would really wish that Adverts.ie and other secondhand sites required ID, frame number and receipt before advertising bikes.

I'm currently looking at a bike I might like, but the advertiser has only ever had one ad, and I'm doubtful.

What's the ad you're looking at. Plenty of people only open an adverts account to sell single items.

I've never bought from anyone on Adverts.ie unless I was able to see what they'd advertised before, and see what kind of feedback they have.

I'd feel a lot more confident if the site demanded evidence of ownership - specifically of bicycles, which are stolen so often at the moment (I mean bikes generally, not bikes sold on the site).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

not yet wrote: »
    these little cnuts have had held angle grinders that cut through most locks in seconds.
    Lidl had rechargeable mini grinders a while back. I cringed when I saw it, thinking that the scum do not even have to buy them, they would easily nick them from lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You're right to be careful.

I wrote about this one before, when my son was looking for a bike via the usual sites the amount of obviously stolen (when we visited the seller) bikes was staggering.

Luckily we picked up a lovely bike with receipt (eventually).

You're right to be careful.

I wrote about this one before, when my son was looking for a bike via the usual sites the amount of obviously stolen (when we visited the seller) bikes was staggering.

Luckily we picked up a lovely bike with receipt (eventually).

Wish all the sale sites would do what Usedbikes.ie apparently does, and demand ID and a receipt before accepting an ad. But I suppose it would take a site being prosecuted for profiting from the sale of stolen goods before all sites became cautious. It would make such a difference, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

rubadub wrote: »
    Lidl had rechargeable mini grinders a while back. I cringed when I saw it, thinking that the scum do not even have to buy them, they would easily nick them from lidl.

It was particularly ironic that they sold them either in the same week as the bike stuff was on offer or within days.

Oh, wait, it wasn't the mini grinders they did that with, it was the bolt cutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

RainyDay wrote: »

Keep an eye on adverts and done deal also report it to the guards,I've seen a few people have there bikes returned to them,in fairness the guards are taking it pretty seriously.

Hope your friend gets it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Queenmullet

Kona Dr. Good stolen from inside my apartment building in Mountjoy Square on 23rd\24th August. It was fitted to the banister with a heavy duty lock so I don't know how they got it off without disturbing anyone.

I can't post pictures or links as I haven't made enough posts yet but you can see it here, it's a very unusual bike (green with a chunky black rack on the front with wooden panelling and a black rack on the back) - 2k13.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=dr_good

I've never seen another one like it so if anybody sees it around or advertised anywhere it is mine so please PM me. Probably no chance of getting it back but it's all worth a try. Odd to see someone else had a Kona stolen around the same time too as they're not such common bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »

@Queenmullet
    Is this the correct link?

Yes that's the one - thanks for linking to it for me, I can't even quote that part of your message :(

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

I've never seen another one like it so if anybody sees it around or advertised anywhere it is mine so please PM me.

Unless you work near Earlsfort Terrace, it's not the only one. There has been one parked on and off in my workplace for the last year. So if anybody does see one, I'd be careful of jumping to conclusions.

Zen0 wrote: »
    Unless you work near Earlsfort Terrace, it's not the only one. There has been one parked on and off in my workplace for the last year. So if anybody does see one, I'd be careful of jumping to conclusions.

I am around there with work quite regularly actually. But fair point there could be others around that I haven't seen - I do know all of the distinguishing marks on mine though which I would of course check out first if I heard it was spotted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 BarryAlfaro

I once had experienced bike theft and when my bike was stolen I remember how fast my heart was beating,I was about to have a cardiac arrest.

Kona Dr. Good stolen from inside my apartment building in Mountjoy Square on 23rd\24th August. It was fitted to the banister with a heavy duty lock so I don't know how they got it off without disturbing anyone.

I can't post pictures or links as I haven't made enough posts yet

I've never seen another one like it so if anybody sees it around or advertised anywhere it is mine so please PM me. Probably no chance of getting it back but it's all worth a try. Odd to see someone else had a Kona stolen around the same time too as they're not such common bikes.

Picture here.

361000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Folks just be aware, alot of bike stolen in Dublin are put up for sale on this site that is aimed at Polish living in Ireland,
    Gazeta.ie
    It's all adverts from poles based in Ireland and I know two people that found their bikes on it
    This is the direct link to the classifieds section

http://www.ogloszenia.gazeta.ie

Well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

italodisco wrote: »
    alot of bike stolen in Dublin are put up for sale on this site

I think all online marketplaces are used to sell stolen bikes (I found my stolen bike on Done Deal), so it's not specific to any particular demographic.
    BTW, polish for bike is "rower" if you're searching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    I think all online marketplaces are used to sell stolen bikes (I found my stolen bike on Done Deal), so it's not specific to any particular demographic.
    BTW, polish for bike is "rower" if you're searching.

To be fair he didn't say it was specific to any demographic? He just said a lot of stolen bikes appear on this particular site. Which they do!

Advertisement