Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Mates bike stolen last night. Specialized allez sport, white.

Not sure this link will work...

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=746940075434658&id=100003560165360&set=a.106327716162567.4698.100003560165360&source=48

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Mates bike stolen last night. Specialized allez sport, white.

Not sure this link will work...

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=746940075434658&id=100003560165360&set=a.106327716162567.4698.100003560165360&source=48

Doesn't work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Doesn't work for me

Cheers, he's sent this on to me. Hopefully this works :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Heard about this on the radio this morning....mad stuff.

In stage 4 some spectator tried to steal a bike but only managed to take the garmin off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Posting for someone I know
    Our shed was broken into last night and my husbands prize possessions (apart from me!) were stolen. If anyone sees - an Orbea Orca bike (it's gonna be massive as he's a huge guy), his mountain bike - cube limited and also his Scott bike and another - all carbon Fiber with the works. All stolen. Please keep an eye out.

2ducolv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Seriously how do people sleep with an unsecured haul of bikes like that left outside all night usually behind a poundshop padlock and 4 screws?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is that the orbea gold that someone on here or adverts has been trying to sell for an age? I recognise those wheels they're chinese iirc.

Actually I think he had two of these so maybe this is the good one.

You don't see many about or in that size so should stand out like a sore thumb.

Apparently the team hadn't gotten around to reporting it stolen yet :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Is that the orbea gold that someone on here or adverts has been trying to sell for an age? I recognise those wheels they're chinese iirc.

Actually I think he had two of these so maybe this is the good one.

You don't see many about or in that size so should stand out like a sore thumb.

Possible. I remember the add but never put the two together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Thargor wrote: »
    Seriously how do people sleep with an unsecured haul of bikes like that left outside all night usually behind a poundshop padlock and 4 screws?

yeah keeping bikes with just shed lock to cut is chancing it with it been such an easy crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I returned from holidays yesterday to find that my 2 bikes were stolen from my shed in the back garden (in Ballinteer area). We are in a mid-terrace house with no other access to back garden, so the culprits would have had to climb a number of neighbours walls to even gain access to our back garden.

The 2 bikes were as follows (images attached):
    Specialized Tarmac Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
    Please let me know if you see these bikes advertised on any other sites or can help in any way.

ff97de2c-1ef9-4abc-8be3-1dad0a5c5881_zpsityvt9oy.jpg

f209558e-e2e4-4ed2-9d32-b51c33272c66_zpsuju9pa5p.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 vivakus

Just had a brand new Canyon Grand stolen in South Dublin, from our shed, in our secluded back garden. They had to scale a 7ft wall to get it.

Will be scouring adverts, done deal etc and ringing round. Does anyone know where the dodgy bike shops in town are? Tempted to go scout around for half a day. It's so distinctive we'd spot it a mile out.

We rang around some bike shops and one guy told us about a place in the city run by (not being racist, this is information I've been given) a group of Lithuanians?

Also, The Bike Yard, seems pretty dodgy.

Any info on what to do/where else to look would be appreciated!

PS how do I add an image of the bike?

vivakus wrote: »
    Just had a brand new Canyon Grand stolen in South Dublin, from our shed, in our secluded back garden. They had to scale a 7ft wall to get it.

Will be scouring adverts, done deal etc and ringing round. Does anyone know where the dodgy bike shops in town are? Tempted to go scout around for half a day. It's so distinctive we'd spot it a mile out.

We rang around some bike shops and one guy told us about a place in the city run by (not being racist, this is information I've been given) a group of Lithuanians?

Hopefully you have a bit of luck finding it. :)

bike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SmallFrog

great thread folks - even if it is pretty depressing.

has anyone found their bike in the bike yard?
    if so, can you just cycle out of there?

Someone was telling me bout a huge container found in the port with hundreds of dissembled bikes in the not too distant past. Believable too.

Whats the bike yard?

I returned from holidays yesterday to find that my 2 bikes were stolen from my shed in the back garden (in Ballinteer area). We are in a mid-terrace house with no other access to back garden, so the culprits would have had to climb a number of neighbours walls to even gain access to our back garden.

Isn't that interesting.
    Makes you question the type of 'research' these guys do. When they stole the bikes i'd imagine they knew exactly what they were coming for.

Similar circumstances at my end

Or they checked every other garden and shed in the estate for something worth stealing aswell and settled on the few grand worth of bikes sitting in a shed as the handiest option?

Seriously though a ~3-4k bike and another ~1k one with it and they didn't bother putting them in the bedroom or attic while on holiday?

Or they checked every other garden and shed in the estate for something worth stealing aswell and settled on the few grand worth of bikes sitting in a shed as the handiest option?

Seriously though a ~3-4k bike and another ~1k one with it and they didn't bother putting them in the bedroom or attic while on holiday?

And yet you wouldn't think you had to hide a €4k car in the attic? This is why bike theft continues, because it's considered an acceptable crime.

• Advertisement

And yet you wouldn't think you had to hide a €4k car in the attic? This is why bike theft continues, because it's considered an acceptable crime.
    Get your crayons out and try to work out why putting a bike in the attic is easy and a car in the attic is hard, you can do it :rolleyes:

Get your crayons out and try to work out why putting a bike in the attic is easy and a car in the attic is hard, you can do it :rolleyes:

Ha! Yes I mean why post at all in this kind of thread if you're just going to blame the victim?!

vivakus wrote: »

Also, the bike is orange and grey, not pink as it is in the photo

I'll use my crayons to make a picture for you of the fact that there are many cars parked on the public street which are worth multiples of the price thieves get for bikes, but they're not stolen.

Theft has fashions, just like everything else. At the moment, the fashion is for stealing bicycles.

In the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s, car theft was much more fashionable, which is why houses built in those years tend to have lockable garages at the side - nowadays used as garden sheds or converted into extra rooms or apartments, because they no longer need to be used to conceal cars and make it difficult to steal them.

Even in the 1960s-90s, people wouldn't park their cars in certain areas of Dublin, and when parked outside houses in 'safe' areas, they were garlanded with chains, as bicycles are now.

My point (crayons) is that bicycle theft is currently profitable, unpunished and uninvestigated, popular, regarded as a relatively innocent pursuit among the friends and families of those who do it, and fashionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

much easier to rob a bike than a car though thats the point there easy targets so you have to prevent

difficult to sell a stolen car too.
    i'm not sure you've thought this example through.

SmallFrog wrote: »
    difficult to sell a stolen car too.
    i'm not sure you've thought this example through.

I have.

It is difficult to sell a stolen car now. In the days - seemingly forgotten here - when cars were the favourite target of theft, they were easy to sell. My policy, partly from necessity, was to drive a car that no one would bother stealing! But it didn't stop the local kids in Dolphin's Barn from pulling the doors of my Renault 4L down like wings every time I visited!

Thefts of cars were absolutely the norm in the 1960s to 1990s. Some were for sale, others for what was then known as 'joyriding', and was fashionable among the thieving set. Where I lived, every Friday evening the entertainment consisted of listening as the kids drove a series of stolen cars up the street and along the five avenues, then into the courtyard of a huge Corporation flats complex, drove it around crazily for a bit, then set it on fire. Then the kids - including toddlers, and watched by the adults from the balconies - would leap through the open front and back door of the flaming car and out the other side. They knew when to stop - shortly before there were four bangs:

bang:bang:bang:bang

followed by a fifth:

bang

and then a sixth

:BANG!!!:

The first four were the tyres, the fifth, after a pause, the spare tyre, and the huge last bang was the petrol tank exploding, followed by a:

WHOOSH!

as the car went up in flames. Then a satisfied sigh, and on to the next car. Nobody ever thought of the poor owner of the car, other than to say that of course they'd have insurance… and insurance rates went up and up.

Would it be easier for you to picture the €4-5k sitting in the shed while the owner is on holiday as a stack of €50 notes or a small bar of gold? Stealing cars stopped because it became a pain in the ass to bypass their security and move them and sell them, bikes/cash/gold will never suffer from this issue so its a poor example. Moving them into the house would take about the same amount of time and effort and they'd still have their bikes if they had bothered.

Interesting piece on who steals bicycles and why (in England and Wales, but unlikely to differ much in other cultures):

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2015/08/06/the-psychology-of-bike-thieves-who-are-they-and-why-do-they-want-to-nick-your-bike
    After being arrested numerous times and spending four to five months in prison for bike-stealing, Shenol Shaddouh trained as a bicycle mechanic through Bikeworks, a social enterprise with programmes to help employability of disadvantaged groups.

In an interview with him by The Docklands & East London Advertiser, Shenol describes his life as a bike thief and how he operated. Working with a small group of friends, he stole bicycles from all over London and sold them to a “network of dealers”. He would go to places like “Kensington, Chelsea, Victoria, Oxford Street, Peckham and Lewisham”. On a good day, he would steal up to 10 bicycles ,and on bad day, two.

The most revealing part of the piece is Shenol explaining that if the group had extra cash they would buy an expensive lock and work out how to break it for future jobs. Before becoming fully aware of the extent to bike crime in the UK, and London specifically where I live, I hadn’t fully appreciated this point. I had assumed, like most, that bike thieves were more opportunistic in nature, looking for easy targets, without much pre-planning. Of the professional bike thieves out there, I can now picture their thought process: “Oh, that’s a xxx lock, I know exactly how to break that, and no one’s going to catch me...”

The piece also refers to the success of pictures of "Watching Eyes" in deterring bicycle thieves - and this http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0051738 includes downloadable posters used in this successful experiment.

Edit: I would imagine that a garda campaign publicising the prosecution of people who buy stolen bikes, and the fact that this crime on their record can prevent their getting visas in countries like the US, would be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Moving them into the house would take about the same amount of time and effort
    Now you have gone to the other end of the scale. I think it would take me just a little more time to get 3 mountain bikes, 2 hybrids and a couple of road bikes into my attic than a wad of €50's or bar of gold.

That poster said there was no access to the back garden other than walls, so it was already safer than most.

I have said before I think bikes should not be treated like normal property, increase the penalty hugely as a deterrent, the governement seemingly wants to encourage cycling but potential for theft is hugely off putting. Maybe laws do not even have to be changed, it could be just said that they will throw the book at them if caught and prosecute to the maximum allowed.

Advertisement