Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

White Focus Cayo with the Garda S. Donnybrook station. Pics up on FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Black Giant rapid 4 with Mavic wheels stolen from my workplace on the canal near Baggot St (Herbert Place). just watched it on CCTV and where i was actually quite calm before now im very annoyed , bloody loved that bike :(

Where would one look for classifieds? adverts and donedeal have been checked, anywhere else?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

I don't have a clue about bikes but these have been listed on An Garda Síochána's Facebook page under the "Stolen Property Recovered" tab. Maybe one of you knows the people affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

Just saw the following on Lovin' Dublin

High profile "bike stolen" posts like this are a great help.

http://lovindublin.com/opinion/that-rotten-gut-wrenching-moment-when-you-get-your-bike-stolen-in-dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

eladnova wrote: »

http://lovindublin.com/opinion/that-rotten-gut-wrenching-moment-when-you-get-your-bike-stolen-in-dublin

"This was a professional operation - in broad daylight the thieves somehow sawed through the frame of the bike, leaving the locks intact, presumably, to weld it back again later."

Is that really likely?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

traprunner wrote: »
    Is that really likely?

Not really, it was most likely not properly locked or the thief not as professional as the author thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭eladnova

traprunner wrote: »
    "This was a professional operation - in broad daylight the thieves somehow sawed through the frame of the bike, leaving the locks intact, presumably, to weld it back again later."

Is that really likely?

Doubt it. Possibly there's some comfort in victim telling himself that as opposed to some thinking he was victim of random witless scumbags.

I'd say most bike thefts happen in broad daylight and in front of other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

n broad daylight the thieves somehow sawed through the frame of the bike, leaving the locks intact, presumably, to weld it back again later

I can imagine organized thieves steal expensive bikes mostly for parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

n broad daylight the thieves somehow sawed through the frame of the bike, leaving the locks intact, presumably, to weld it back again later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Alek wrote: »

You can say that again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

eladnova wrote: »

"Despite having spent €100 on the best locks money could buy..........."

He didn't really though,one of those locks can be opened with a bic biro. Literally

M.J.M.C wrote: »

He didn't really though,one of those locks can be opened with a bic biro. Literally

Wasn't that just the older models?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

M.J.M.C wrote: »

That's a good few years ago at this stage, kryptonites haven't used the old barrel design for years.

I don't know if any do anymore.

The image doesn't show any signs of damage to the lock or that the locks were even opened.

So I'm going to guess that his locking strategy was poor. Unless they literally cut through the frame, which would just be stupid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As Seamus and traprunner said, not for years could you do that with a Kryptonite.
    Also as Seamus said, the lock looks untouched.
    My money is on the most common of mistakes, that he missed the frame and all they had to cut/break/remove was a wheel or, and I have seen it myself, he just forgot to lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I was thinking about it more, and if someone had two locks and a cable lock, I would expect at least one of them to be threaded through a wheel. But it all sits untouched.

If I had to guess, he was in too much of a rush to do a full lock, so thought he had it secured with one lock, but he missed the frame and ended up locking the locks together and the bike completely unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am always interested to hear how exactly how they were locked and the brand/model.

U Locks are meant to go through the back wheel. If you have 2 then 1 definitely should be. He said the locks were €100 so I would guess it is the 2 u locks and cable. On of them looks like a kryptonite with the plastic cut off the thick barrel end, but it does not look thick enough to be the NY model, it and a cable lock should not be €100

Screen-Shot-2016-01-20-at-10.46.09.jpg?mtime=20160120104928

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

seamus wrote: »
    I was thinking about it more, and if someone had two locks and a cable lock, I would expect at least one of them to be threaded through a wheel. But it all sits untouched.

If I had to guess, he was in too much of a rush to do a full lock, so thought he had it secured with one lock, but he missed the frame and ended up locking the locks together and the bike completely unlocked.

Yeah, something not quite right here. He has two u-locks and a cable. I'm going to imagine that he locks the two u-locks to different parts of the frame and the cable around the wheels. That would mean, what, FOUR separate angle grinder cuts to free the bike? You end up with no wheels, and no frame. Why would you bother? The remaining parts wouldn't be worth the hassle of selling, would they? Especially when you could cut the locks themselves as quickly, and with only THREE cuts.

I don't like calling the guy out and saying he made a mistake because it still required some rotter to spot and take the bike, however I think his locking technique is faulty. He may have missed the bike completely, or only tied around the quick release saddle post. Some feat with two locks and a cable tether. Let's learn from this and be careful out there!

rubadub wrote: »
    I am always interested to hear how exactly how they were locked and the brand/model.

U Locks are meant to go through the back wheel. If you have 2 then 1 definitely should be. He said the locks were €100 so I would guess it is the 2 u locks and cable. On of them looks like a kryptonite with the plastic cut off the thick barrel end, but it does not look thick enough to be the NY model, it and a cable lock should not be €100

The lock in the left is definitely a Kryptonite Series 2 with a cable. I don't know what the lock on the right is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah come on, locked at a LUAS stop while you head off shopping?

scott-1024x576.jpg

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/23/bare-fleeced-contessa/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AirCooled

In this case the Guards were great.

However, the management company have been extremely difficult. They refused to check the footage. Said they needed instruction from the Guards. Then didn't reply to the Guards calls or emails (the Guard told me). The cage is still damaged and there are still bits of broken locks scattered. Apparently, they never even reported the break in (Guard told me that too).

Strangely enough, I am more upset by the apathy of the management company over the bike being taken. I haven't been riding it as much as I should and actually felt guilty for that. I paid about 3k for the frame and all the parts to build it but it is obviously worth significantly less now.

Still, I really want it back. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 AirCooled

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Sounds like my story. Bike locked in underground carpark with CCTV cameras on all entrances. Bike had a very sturdy lock, cut with what looks like a mini angle grinder.

Guards came, took a few notes, said its a familiar story, said they would follow up with management company to get CCTV footage.

Got a stock garda letter about 8 weeks later saying the incident was still under investigation.

Id rather a quick call to say "we cant see the faces in the footage" or "we couldnt get footage off the management company".

Right now it feels like he took a few notes, done no further investigation and just sent a stock letter to give the illusion of work being done.

Ive given up on a bike. Cant bring it to the apartment, and if i cant keep it in the carpark, whats the point.

n this case the Guards were great.

However, the management company have been extremely difficult. They refused to check the footage. Said they needed instruction from the Guards. Then didn't reply to the Guards calls or emails (the Guard told me). The cage is still damaged and there are still bits of broken locks scattered. Apparently, they never even reported the break in (Guard told me that too).

Strangely enough, I am more upset by the apathy of the management company over the bike being taken. I haven't been riding it as much as I should and actually felt guilty for that. I paid about 3k for the frame and all the parts to build it but it is obviously worth significantly less now.

Still, I really want it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

AirCooled wrote: »
    Strangely enough, I am more upset by the apathy of the management company over the bike being taken.

Do you pay fees to the management company?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd be contacting the management of the management company and straight out saying there was an inside job here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sometimes CCTV is either a dummy or has stopped working, of course…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

@aircooled, given what the marker charge for a sandwich and how everything about the place is about its image, maybe suggest you'll get a solicitor involved or something or pretend you'll blab to media.

They consider themselves to be iconic apparently, and their blurb on website reads like he dross Barry Egan laps of in the S.indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

AirCooled wrote: »
    However, the management company have been extremely difficult.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'd be contacting the management of the management company and straight out saying there was an inside job here.

Management company or management agent? If it's done properly the residents themselves are the management company, and you guys (well at least the owners) pay the management agent to run the place for themselves.

A threat to bring up a proposal to change management agents at the next AGM might be worth making.

edit: I'm confused, are AirCooled and fret_wimp2 the same person? I though AirCooled had their bike stolen from a Luas stop, so not sure whose management company and cage is the topic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Another stolen bicycle. Taken from me in UCD near Agricultural Building today. Trek 7.2. Has a distinctive red football bell if anyone spots it around. Campus security have said they will check cctv and I'll be off to Donnybrook tomorrow to make a report. Had a kryptonite u lock, seemed like a secure area on campus.

gsgor439t

Attachments not working so here is the url http://postimg.org/image/gsgor439t/

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Another stolen bicycle. Taken from me in UCD near Agricultural Building today. Trek 7.2. Has a distinctive red football bell if anyone spots it around. Campus security have said they will check cctv and I'll be off to Donnybrook tomorrow to make a report. Had a kryptonite u lock, seemed like a secure area on campus.

gsgor439t

Attachments not working so here is the url http://postimg.org/image/gsgor439t/

Orange Kryptonite?! That's only the third mention in this thread I've seen of a theft breaking one of them. Any other detail? Unfortunately, I expect any distinctive accessories are immediately removed, so scratches/permanent markings are better things to look out for. At least you're going to Donnybrook which I understand takes bike theft a bit more serious than most.

Here's the bike image (of yours) inline.

IMG_0634.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Orange Kryptonite?! That's only the third mention in this thread I've seen of a theft breaking one of them. Any other detail? Unfortunately, I expect any distinctive accessories are immediately removed, so scratches/permanent markings are better things to look out for. At least you're going to Donnybrook which I understand takes bike theft a bit more serious than most.

Here's the bike image (of yours) inline.

IMG_0634.jpg

Thanks. Yeah it was the orange kryptonite lock. Attached to a standard n shaped bike rack on campus. The rack is only about 10 metres away from the main concourse where there's always people around so I'm surprised they were that brazen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

Thanks. Yeah it was the orange kryptonite lock. Attached to a standard n shaped bike rack on campus. The rack is only about 10 metres away from the main concourse where there's always people around so I'm surprised they were that brazen.

I work there, and I have never seen anyone challenge anyone at bikes with any tools. I regularly shout "Oi! Is that your bike!" and they scarper off. I do it about once a week during term. There are lots and lots of bikes stolen from all over campus during term. Take a walk around the woodland walk. The scrotes tend to work the campus for a couple of days, and hide their haul in the bushes and come back later to collect them. You might be lucky.

Advertisement