Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live should be free

• 01-04-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

ok so this is just one of the reasons im thinking I should move over to playstation dont get me wrong I love my xbox but I think they are far too greedy

1. you have to pay yearly gold membership or you cant play online games thats that really takes the p.iss when you take into account I already pay for my internet usage and ive paid 50 quid for a game

2. they did not release it with rechargeable controllers so you have to buy battery packs separate

3.buy a hdmi lead separate

4.no bluray

5.if you have a surround sound you cant connect your xbox to it unless you buy their optical out cable priced at 70 euro

6. each game comes with a code so only one person can play it online unless they pay for a second code

7.red ring of death, I guarantee this was no design flaw just another scam to generate more sales

but what really gets under my skin is that microsoft dont need all this extra money they are doing just fine from software and so on

an before anyone says stop being cheap :D im not I paid for all the above it just annoys me I just want to know am I on my own here or do others feel the same ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

It definitely should be cheaper at least but shops have reduced it's price by about 33%. The one good thing about it not being free is there's less thirteen year old skangers spewing abuse over the mic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Azure_sky wrote: »
    It definitely should be cheaper at least but shops have reduced it's price by about 33%. The one good thing about it not being free is there's less thirteen year old skangers spewing abuse over the mic.

This would also be my main argument for the pro charging for Gold.

But I agree it's a little cheeky and steep of M$ to charge for what PS3 owners are getting for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

5.if you have a surround sound you cant connect your xbox to it unless you buy their optical out cable priced at 70 euro

You can get these for less than €10

6. each game comes with a code so only one person can play it online unless they pay for a second code

It's individual game companies that charge extra (EA's online pass etc) not Microsoft

7.red ring of death, I guarantee this was no design flaw just another scam to generate more sales

You guarantee that, do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

superfish wrote: »

tumblr_lbj8vgQmfS1qa3n0w.png

So intentionally messing up their console and in turn costing themselves a Huge amount of money giving free repairs & redesigning the MoBo to fix the issue helped them make more money? EDIT: It cost them more than 1 Billion...

The only reason PSN gaming is free is because Sony needed a hook to get people to pick Playstation over Xbox.. If PSN was out before it'd probably be a paid service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

chin_grin wrote: »
    This would also be my main argument for the pro charging for Gold.

But I agree it's a little cheeky and steep of M$ to charge for what PS3 owners are getting for free.

PS3 owners don't get the quality of service that XBL members do! XBL is a policed serviced and virtually hackers-free. Only up to a couple of weeks ago, it was impossible to play BlOps or MW2 on PSN due to the amount of hacking that was going on.

You pay the yearly membership to provide you with a level, fair playing field. I recently upgraded my membership for the sixth year in a row, for just over €40. I consider that excellent value for the service provided, less than €1 per week. Think of it like an anti-virus protection from hackers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭maximoose

1. you have to pay yearly gold membership or you cant play online games thats that really takes the p.iss when you take into account I already pay for my internet usage and ive paid 50 quid for a game

I think the price of Xbox live is too much, so i agree somewhat. But I dont think it should be free, XBL >>> PSN and I'm happy to pay for that

2. they did not release it with rechargeable controllers so you have to buy battery packs separate

No big deal? The rechargable packs dont cost much

Cheap as chips

4.no bluray

Yeah they f*cked up on backing HD-DVD, eejits. If you really want a blu-ray player they're cheap enough. I watch plenty of HD on my xbox through external hard drives so I couldn't care less.

Lies. As already stated you can pick those up very cheap, I know I only paid €5 for mine.

Lies.

Lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

PS3 owners don't get the quality of service that XBL members do! XBL is a policed serviced and virtually hackers-free. Only up to a couple of weeks ago, it was impossible to play BlOps or MW2 on PSN due to the amount of hacking that was going on.

You pay the yearly membership to provide you with a level, fair playing field. I recently upgraded my membership for the sixth year in a row, for just over €40. I consider that excellent value for the service provided, less than €1 per week. Think of it like an anti-virus protection from hackers.

Nice post! Thanks for the info. I did think my comment was a little on the side of 'rabbling for the sake of it'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Agreed. I have both a PS3 and 360 (oh lah di dah) and over the past couple years all but one game I bought was on PS3 because that was a 360 exclusive. I'm mainly a single player enthusiast with games like GTA and Uncharted so I don't find it worthwhile to pay 50 quid for the odd hour here or there I may play online. Also when I did pay for XBL for a while I couldn't see the difference in quality between it and PSN. There are other reasons too but that's my main issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

How to cancel xbox live, no way of doing it on site and is england the only way to ring to cancel? any help, numbers or sites greatly appreciated, thanks.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

ok guys il admit its been a while since I had to buy any xbox gear ie optical out cable at the time I bought mine a few years back they were indeed 70 euro

also how many xbox do you think break whilst not under the manufacturers warranty

so yes I guarantee you they did it on purpose to generate sales how can a company as clever as microsoft make such a big mistake and also not rectify it ?

also there are plenty of kids trash talking on live unless im on a different xbox than you guys I think its time to stop making excuses for the multi billon dollar company and face up to the fact your wallet is being raped

many of you pointed out that all these parts are cheap ie battery pack, maybe so at the time I bought 2 at 19.99 so how many others did the same and how much extra did microsoft make

time to wake up people

• Advertisement

so yes I guarantee you they did it on purpose to generate sales how can a company as clever as microsoft make such a big mistake and also not rectify it ?

hold on, how does releasing a piece of hardware that you know is faulty and will break down the line causing a massive backlash going to generate sales? You're not making sense.

So you spent €70 on an official optical cable, and €19.99 a piece on the official play and charge kits even though there are third party alternatives which are MUCH better value, and we're the ones who need to wake up? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Another thing is the wireless adaptor. Was it €120 when released? See them in gamestop now for 50. The xbox also ships with a mic, so every little kid has one.

Only thing is the better exclusives. Left 4 dead and halo.

Jet Black wrote: »
    Another thing is the wireless adaptor. Was it €120 when released? See them in gamestop now for 50. The xbox also ships with a mic, so every little kid has one.

Only thing is the better exclusives. Left 4 dead and halo.

I definitely agree with you on the wireless adaptor, shameful overpricing by microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

ok so this is just one of the reasons im thinking I should move over to playstation dont get me wrong I love my xbox but I think they are far too greedy

Have both PS3's online is poor due to lack of support and mics (both a blessing and a curse :pac:)

its less than a euro a week

meh controller + battery is still cheaper than a PS3 contoller

PS3 doesnt come with one either they cost €10

4.no bluray
    problem with releasing a console when bluray was still experimental

as said before they cost around €10

PS3 has that as well

nope ended up costing microsoft over 1 billion

but what really gets under my skin is that microsoft dont need all this extra money they are doing just fine from software and so on
    an before anyone says stop being cheap :D im not I paid for all the above it just annoys me I just want to know am I on my own here or do others feel the same ?
    Stop being cheap:pac: with the exception of bluray the 360 is a better console all round. xbl is alot better supported than psn so you get what you pay for really

time to wake up people

Superfish,

Having an unsupported opinion doesn't make it fact just because you think it might be true. To be honest, it's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this forum and that's saying something. You really think MS would risk loosing marketshare to Sony by inventing the RRoD and cost themselves in excess of 1 billion in warranty claims, just to generate more console sales.

In fact, I could write a half hour long post on all the reasons against your hypothesis and still not cover everything.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, feel free to air yours but don't start "guaranteeing" stuff that you have absolutely no proof of. Let's try and keep stuff on the ground with sensible discussions on the topic.

If you can't afford or justify the €40-ish that XBL charge for membership for their online service, then by all means go over to PSN for their free service. Just don't start complaining on the PSN thread when you find things aren't quite up to scratch. You get what you pay for.

maximoose wrote: »
    I definitely agree with you on the wireless adaptor, shameful overpricing by microsoft.

I completely agree with you on this! Ridiculous price tag. I'm re-arranging my home network at the moment to all 200mbps homeplugs (including one homeplug with built-in wifi) and plan on plugging directly into one of my xboxes that I use as a media centre. It currently uses the older wireless network adapter and I couldn't justify paying the price on the new one when I could get another homeplug for similar money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

@NTMK +1

Also the price has reduced massively.

My house mate let his lapse for a couple of days last month and was offered 12 months plus 800 points straight from one of the adverts on the dashboard for €36.

IMO 100% worth every penny.

"PSN is about €100 less worth it than Xbox Live"

Their Magnificent Customer Care should make up for all the other charges ;)

what a ridiculous question how does it generate sales, this is how. the red ring of death usually happens about 2 to 3 years of ownership when you have no guarentee so you have to buy a new xbox. about 10 of my mates had to

also at the time I bought my components there was no such thing as unofficial components as the battery packs had just been released so you had no choice but to buy microsoft parts

if you guys wanna keep making your beloved microsoft rich be my guest, this is just the trend with boards all you guys do is sit and wait for a new thread to open so you can show everyone how great you are at taking the piss if you look over most threads on boards its always the same guys and its always the same spiel ie oh where did you get your facts or look ive drawn up a graph that proves your wrong

all you guys are is thanks whores :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

ok guys il admit its been a while since I had to buy any xbox gear ie optical out cable at the time I bought mine a few years back they were indeed 70 euro

You should have tried shopping around, €70 is scandalous even for 2 or 3 years ago. Did you get in in Currys?

if you guys wanna keep making your beloved microsoft rich be my guest, this is just the trend with boards all you guys do is sit and wait for a new thread to open so you can show everyone how great you are at taking the piss if you look over most threads on boards its always the same guys and its always the same spiel ie oh where did you get your facts or look ive drawn up a graph that proves your wrong

LOL

• Advertisement

This is the best response so far although the ea servers do a dam good job of crashing regularly themselfs with no help from hackers

you will know what I mean if you ever played dead space 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The Thanks whores are located here...

MS gives a 3 year warranty on rrod. Most of the people i know who had launch models got rrod well before the 3 years was up and were sorted out with new xboxs.

anyway why the hell are we even discussing rrod since its basically no longer an issue?

What was to stop you from buying a few rechargeable batteries and a charger if you thought the packs were too expensive? thats what I did at first, then managed to pick up a few plug and play kits in Argos for 6 euro a few years ago...

You should have tried shopping around, €70 is scandalous even for 2 or 3 years ago. Did you get in in Currys?

LOL

na it was in gamestop uk in around 2006 its the adapter with the bult in optical lead out, not an optical lead maybe I should have said that in the first place lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

na it was in gamestop uk in around 2006 its the adapter with the bult in optical lead out, not an optical lead maybe I should have said that in the first place lol

the optical out came as standard on the launch models component cable

Korvanica wrote: »
    The Thanks whores are located here...

MS gives a 3 year warranty on rrod. Most of the people i know who had launch models got rrod well before the 3 years was up and were sorted out with new xboxs.

anyway why the hell are we even discussing rrod since its basically no longer an issue?

What was to stop you from buying a few rechargeable batteries and a charger if you thought the packs were too expensive? thats what I did at first, then managed to pick up a few plug and play kits in Argos for 6 euro a few years ago...
    I prefer the plug and play battery pack as you can charge it from your pc and just keep playing you game lot less messing about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

I have my XBox connected to the Surround Sound via HDMI, no need for an optical cable.

NTMK wrote: »
    the optical out came as standard on the launch models component cable

then why did I have to buy one ???

testicle wrote: »
    I have my XBox connected to the Surround Sound via HDMI, no need for an optical cable.

Early 360s didnt have HDMI out.

testicle wrote: »

how ? maybe its an issue with my home theatre as I have my xbox connected via hdmi and my tv connected to my suround via aux it worked fine on everything except when I played xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Guys no need to turn this into a 360 vs PS3 thread. They are both good consoles, I have my favourite for various reasons and others have their favourite for their reasons but the bottom line is who the **** cares? We should be thankful that there is healthy competition in the market otherwise we may only have one console on the market with wii like graphics because they wouldn't have spent the time and money trying to make their console better than the competitors.

edit: This is the bloody internet, what's with the fücking censorship?

Advertisement