Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live should be free

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

maximoose wrote: »
    Early 360s didnt have HDMI out.
    true but I doubt anyone has an early model that still works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

superfish wrote: »
    ok guys il admit its been a while since I had to buy any xbox gear ie optical out cable at the time I bought mine a few years back they were indeed 70 euro

also how many xbox do you think break whilst not under the manufacturers warranty

so yes I guarantee you they did it on purpose to generate sales how can a company as clever as microsoft make such a big mistake and also not rectify it ?

also there are plenty of kids trash talking on live unless im on a different xbox than you guys I think its time to stop making excuses for the multi billon dollar company and face up to the fact your wallet is being raped

many of you pointed out that all these parts are cheap ie battery pack, maybe so at the time I bought 2 at 19.99 so how many others did the same and how much extra did microsoft make

time to wake up people

I've returned 9 xbox's to the store in which i bought them from . They failed on some reason or other (usually rrod) each time (it was within a year) the store gave me out a brand new xbox , new leads , joypad etc etc . Back in the day the xbox came with hdmi cable and also the opti- cable, so i never had to return them.
    I'm wondering how microsoft conned me out of money for this terrible service :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭maximoose

I do :)

Shammy wrote: »
    I've returned 9 xbox's to the store in which i bought them from . They failed on some reason or other (usually rrod) each time (it was within a year) the store gave me out a brand new xbox , new leads , joypad etc etc . Back in the day the xbox came with hdmi cable and also the opti- cable, so i never had to return them.
    I'm wondering how microsoft conned me out of money for this terrible service :rolleyes:

how convenient it just happened to happen to all 9 xbox consoles within a year jesus your one lucky guy why not round up that number to 10 for added impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Ehhmmm? I do and it's still going strong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

shefra wrote: »
    How to cancel xbox live, no way of doing it on site and is england the only way to ring to cancel? any help, numbers or sites greatly appreciated, thanks.:mad:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70437482

They should try to keep you by offering it for E36 (How the hell do I do the Euro symbol on my keyboard?!). Do yourself a favour and ring them via a landline if possible...

maximoose wrote: »
    I do :)
    prove it !! (my turn to be a thanks whore)

dont make me break out the graphs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

many of you pointed out that all these parts are cheap ie battery pack, maybe so at the time I bought 2 at 19.99 so how many others did the same and how much extra did microsoft make

The battery packs are crap. Mine lasted a few weeks and died. I just get batteries from a pound shop now. Much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

1. you have to pay yearly gold membership or you cant play online games thats that really takes the p.iss when you take into account I already pay for my internet usage and ive paid 50 quid for a game.

Don't want to pay for the yearly? Get a 3 Month card for 20 euro. As stated, yearly works out les than a euro a week, GREAT value for the services that you CHOOSE to use. Xbox Live, Zune, Arcade Downloads exclusive to Xbox, Sky Player, Facebook, Twitter. PSN has none of them, how else do you expect MS to pay for all these contracts and services?

2. they did not release it with rechargeable controllers so you have to buy battery packs separate.

Protip: Buy a set of rechargeable AA batteries, set of 4 PLUS recharger in a chemist for 20 quid, not only will they work on your xbox controller, but any other AA device too, AND since you have FOUR, when one set dies, you're set to go immediatly.

3.buy a hdmi lead separate

Boo-Hoo... PS3 doesn't include a HDMI cable either, what now? Also, the OFFICIAL Sony HDMI cable costs more than the official MS360 HDMI cable. OR as stated loads of times previously, get one in a pound shop for 3 quid.

4.no bluray

BluRay = Official SONY registered product, MS will never have BluRay, and they did not pass up the oppertunity to have them, nor will they ever get the chance to, since the invention does not belong to them.

5.if you have a surround sound you cant connect your xbox to it unless you buy their optical out cable priced at 70 euro.

Back in 2004, I had one for my PS2. It cost 25 Euro maximum. GTFO with your lies pal, I still have the recoept from 10/2/2004, as it was the day after my bday when I got my PS2.

6. each game comes with a code so only one person can play it online unless they pay for a second code

This is done by the games publisher, example being EA have put in place the EA Online pass, free with ANY EA game. This is only done by the games publisher, not Microsoft Xbox. BY THE WAY, same thing applies for the PS3.

7.red ring of death, I guarantee this was no design flaw just another scam to generate more sales.

You're on drugs dude. 3RL was a design overlook and bad development by Samsung (IIRC) who rushed out chips that were faulty and were not soldered in properly. The other issue that causes a 3RL is a faulty power supply unit malfunction. So it's not always the console. Even so, Xbox put their hand up and said ok it's on us, we're giving you an extended warranty for you're console. You're console dies after that 3 years? Oops I guess, also, basic warranty on an Xbox is 1 year. The longest warranty period on any ELECTRICAL item. PS3 is 3 months with sony. Your washing machine has 6 month manufactures warranty. So 3 years extended on a video games console is amazing. Besides, 3RL is caused by being rough to you're console. I've only ever had 2 Xboxes. My launch console, and my new 360S. No issues. Ever.

My diagnosis, you're spoiled and peed off that you have to spend money. Tough luck pal, nothing is FREE. Neither is Xbox. Deal with it and take your butthurt somewhere like SA where you can get people to agree with you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,782 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The reason I think it should be free is that there's no dedicated servers. however creates the game becomes the server and you usually get crap connections because of this. Sony offer a similar service to microsoft and charge nothing yet provide dedicated servers for some of their own games. I now use my PC and PS3 for online gaming because I'm broke now and can't justify spending money on a service I get for free elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

what a ridiculous question how does it generate sales, this is how. the red ring of death usually happens about 2 to 3 years of ownership when you have no guarentee so you have to buy a new xbox. about 10 of my mates had to

:rolleyes:

they HAD to buy a new xbox - if I bought a console that had a terrible reliability rate I'd have switched to PS3 so how does your argument hold...

does microsoft know that there's that the xbox fanboys would automatically buy a new xbox console one the old one failed...

I doubt microsoft were going to be that chancy now seeing as it could go so wrong and end up loose a huge amount of market share to the PS3...

as it's pointed out they lost over 1 billion trying to fix this problem so how many extra consoles would they have had to sell to make back that loss...

I ended up going with PS3 over xbox simply because I was afraid of rrod... so here's one customer they've lost so...

and for all your other points... the sum total of all the extras probably comes to about an extra 50 euro and ps3 doesn't come with mic so that's 20-30 euro extra your saving on xbox... toal difference about 25 euroish...

as for bluray - I still haven't met anyone who's ever bought a bluray movie so....... for me not a big issue having the bluray over hddvd but having hddvd is definitely not an advantage on microsoft's behalf - I'll give you that but I'm not going to go to say that you deserve free online over it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

how convenient it just happened to happen to all 9 xbox consoles within a year jesus your one lucky guy why not round up that number to 10 for added impact

Why would i round it up to 10 when it was 9 ?
    Yes it was convient , I know lots of people who are there 4th upwards xbox and like me they just returned their broken xbox to the store and received a new one .
    Why is it so hard for you to believe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Shammy wrote: »
    Why would i round it up to 10 when it was 9 ?
    Yes it was convient , I know lots of people who are there 4th upwards xbox and like me they just returned their broken xbox to the store and received a new one .
    Why is it so hard for you to believe ?

He thinks the warranty only lasts one year from the date you buy your first xbox i assume...

Xinkai wrote: »

1. you have to pay yearly gold membership or you cant play online games thats that really takes the p.iss when you take into account I already pay for my internet usage and ive paid 50 quid for a game.

Don't want to pay for the yearly? Get a 3 Month card for 20 euro. As stated, yearly works out les than a euro a week, GREAT value for the services that you CHOOSE to use. Xbox Live, Zune, Arcade Downloads exclusive to Xbox, Sky Player, Facebook, Twitter. PSN has none of them, how else do you expect MS to pay for all these contracts and services?

2. they did not release it with rechargeable controllers so you have to buy battery packs separate.

Protip: Buy a set of rechargeable AA batteries, set of 4 PLUS recharger in a chemist for 20 quid, not only will they work on your xbox controller, but any other AA device too, AND since you have FOUR, when one set dies, you're set to go immediatly.

3.buy a hdmi lead separate

Boo-Hoo... PS3 doesn't include a HDMI cable either, what now? Also, the OFFICIAL Sony HDMI cable costs more than the official MS360 HDMI cable. OR as stated loads of times previously, get one in a pound shop for 3 quid.

4.no bluray

BluRay = Official SONY registered product, MS will never have BluRay, and they did not pass up the oppertunity to have them, nor will they ever get the chance to, since the invention does not belong to them.

5.if you have a surround sound you cant connect your xbox to it unless you buy their optical out cable priced at 70 euro.

Back in 2004, I had one for my PS2. It cost 25 Euro maximum. GTFO with your lies pal, I still have the recoept from 10/2/2004, as it was the day after my bday when I got my PS2.

6. each game comes with a code so only one person can play it online unless they pay for a second code

This is done by the games publisher, example being EA have put in place the EA Online pass, free with ANY EA game. This is only done by the games publisher, not Microsoft Xbox. BY THE WAY, same thing applies for the PS3.

7.red ring of death, I guarantee this was no design flaw just another scam to generate more sales.

You're on drugs dude. 3RL was a design overlook and bad development by Samsung (IIRC) who rushed out chips that were faulty and were not soldered in properly. The other issue that causes a 3RL is a faulty power supply unit malfunction. So it's not always the console. Even so, Xbox put their hand up and said ok it's on us, we're giving you an extended warranty for you're console. You're console dies after that 3 years? Oops I guess, also, basic warranty on an Xbox is 1 year. The longest warranty period on any ELECTRICAL item. PS3 is 3 months with sony. Your washing machine has 6 month manufactures warranty. So 3 years extended on a video games console is amazing. Besides, 3RL is caused by being rough to you're console. I've only ever had 2 Xboxes. My launch console, and my new 360S. No issues. Ever.

My diagnosis, you're spoiled and peed off that you have to spend money. Tough luck pal, nothing is FREE. Neither is Xbox. Deal with it and take your butthurt somewhere like SA where you can get people to agree with you.

such a big man sat behind your pc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Azure_sky wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70437482

They should try to keep you by offering it for E36 (How the hell do I do the Euro symbol on my keyboard?!). Do yourself a favour and ring them via a landline if possible...

Press Ctrl-Alt-4 at same time = €

Of course PSN doesn't have those services, just like XBLA doesn't have access to PSN and PSN exclusive content.

PSN has Playstation Home, XBLA doesn't...:p

Do you not have to pay Sky extra in order to be able to use Sky player? - Open to correction on that one.

FB, twitter - meh.
    4.no bluray

MS will have blu-ray in their next gen console. Just backed the wrong format for this gen.
    Blu-ray was co-developed by Sony, Philips, Toshiba and Time Warner.
    Anyone can use the product, you just pay licensing fees to devolopers.
    Just like anyone who uses CDs and DVDs - also co-developed by Sony and others.

There was nothing stopping them from using blu-ray in this gen. They had a choice of HD-DVD or blu-ray.
    The original Xbox used DVD - as stated above, co-developed by Sony.

Sony and co-developers of blu-ray will not stop MS from using blu-ray - too much revenue to say no to.

why do people feel the need to talk down to you ie. your spoilt, you dont even know me pal I had a very rough upbringing so keep your opinion to yourself

also I seriously doubt half of you would speak the way you do in here to some ones face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Def ^^

I have no use for blu-ray at the minute, I've a tonnes of dvds that do just fine

Im fine to pay for xbox live but it wouldn't be bad if it came down in price a bit, it keep sthe service great and most douches off of the system, I definitely have more pros for paying for it than having it free

I'm the same, i think i have 3 BluRays.. I use my computer for media anyway..

Back on topic...

The bottom line is..

Both consoles will cost about the same to buy nowadays... with xbox live being a paid service and PSN free... and the general consensus seems to be that XBL is the better service (but this is the xbox forum so obviously itll be that way here... ask the same question in the psn forum and you'll probably get the opposite answer)...

So..

Everyone quit yer bitchin and go play some computer games...:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

I'm not a big man sat behind a oc, and I said nothing offensive.
    I work for Xbox, it's my job having these valid arguments every 10 minutes with 50 people a day.

If you already have a sky account and sky digital, you DO NOT need to pay for another package on the xbox. You put in your sky ID and you get the sme package on the c0onsole as you do on your actual sky digital.

And trust me, you will never see BluRay on an xbox, as much as it sucks to admit, as even I admit BluRay is class and would be savage on an xbox, but think also, if everyone is buying a PS3 for bluray, why would sony give it's biggest aspect to it's biggest competitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Should it be free? No.
    Should you pay what microsoft want for it? **** no.

Live is great, it's only when you don't have it do you realise how bloody great it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

And trust me, you will never see BluRay on an xbox, as much as it sucks to admit, as even I admit BluRay is class and would be savage on an xbox, but think also, if everyone is buying a PS3 for bluray, why would sony give it's biggest aspect to it's biggest competitor.

We will see Blu-ray on a future Xbox for sure. Sony don't own Blu-ray, they are part of an association which own it or run it or something with other companies and as a result, don't have a full say in what happens with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Should it be free? No.
    Should you pay what microsoft want for it? **** no.

Live is great, it's only when you don't have it do you realise how bloody great it is

Awww poor Raze is going through withdrawal :(

I do agree that the whole service is excellent though, I only wish they'd offer the same content to European members as they do for the US. Indie games, netflicks etc.

Awww poor Raze is going through withdrawal :(

I do agree that the whole service is excellent though, I only wish they'd offer the same content to European members as they do for the US. Indie games, netflicks etc.
    You have no idea. When you bring yer xbox to yer birds so you can play you know yer a junkie!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Sony don't own blu-ray. The owners of it would allow anyone to use it.
    Revenue is too big to say no to. Sony aren't that stupid. How many games get sold on 360?

The owners of DVD (which includes Sony) allowed MS to use it on the original xbox. Xbox was a competitor of Sony then as they are now.

So unless MS can come up with a medium equal to or better than blu-ray, they will use it next gen.
    Game data is going to increase next gen. How many games on 360 require you to swap discs mid game? DS2 is definite, Oblivion: GotY and I think FF XIII is and I would bet a few quid that MGS: Rising will require it too. I'm sure there are more.

I'm not a big man sat behind a oc, and I said nothing offensive.
    I work for Xbox, it's my job having these valid arguments every 10 minutes with 50 people a day.

If you already have a sky account and sky digital, you DO NOT need to pay for another package on the xbox. You put in your sky ID and you get the sme package on the c0onsole as you do on your actual sky digital.

I did not start this thread to start arguments only debate, I have no problem with what you said just dont like people who feel the need to get their point across by putting others down ie, your on drugs or your spoilt id rater you did not speak to me like im a child thank you

on a happier note ive just found out you can get xbox live 3 month for 15 euro on ebay

You can get 13 months for like 35 cheaper in the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Omg what s tight arse this guy is..Hope he don't sqeek as he walks

Omg what s tight arse this guy is..Hope he don't sqeek as he walks

yea and I bet you live at home with mammy and daddy and would not know what a bill was if it hit you in the face

You can get 13 months for like 35 cheaper in the long run
    cheers for the heads up I was under the assumption it was 59 for the year 35s a lot better but to be honest think im gunna buy a ps3 soon

• Advertisement

cheers for the heads up I was under the assumption it was 59 for the year 35s a lot better but to be honest think im gunna buy a ps3 soon

Do, the ps3 is a great machine and has some excellent games.. My main gripe with psn is the lack of cross game party chat and the fact that you cant see your recent players etc...

other than that i love it.

Advertisement