Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox live should be free

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

Korvanica wrote: »
    Do, the ps3 is a great machine and has some excellent games.. My main gripe with psn is the lack of cross game party chat and the fact that you cant see your recent players etc...

other than that i love it.

ye think I will my bro has one and I must say I was impressed with it overall also noticed the graphics seemed more polished off,plus the new shape console looks class another thing that I thought was cool was that virtual world thing where you make an avatar and have your own apartment id say it would get boring after about an hour but still a cool feature, so other than the fact they made the new console smaller what else is new ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

superfish wrote: »
    true but I doubt anyone has an early model that still works

I do, I got the RROD twice and both times they fixed it for me free of charge. It would have cost them quite a bit so I'm not sure how it's making money for them.

Also OP, you're are saying you don't want arguments and that people don't know what kind of upbringing you had and then go and say some hypocritical ****e about people living at home with their parents. Get real

al28283 wrote: »
    I do, I got the RROD twice and both times they fixed it for me free of charge. It would have cost them quite a bit so I'm not sure how it's making money for them.
    im sick of explaining this yes you got yours fixed free of charge but how many did not and went out and bought a new console now thats the last time I answer this question I will totally ignore anyone from now on who is only out to cause arguments

why do people feel the need to talk down to you ie. your spoilt, you dont even know me pal I had a very rough upbringing so keep your opinion to yourself

also I seriously doubt half of you would speak the way you do in here to some ones face
    I did not start this thread to start arguments only debate, I have no problem with what you said just dont like people who feel the need to get their point across by putting others down ie, your on drugs or your spoilt id rater you did not speak to me like im a child thank you

yea and I bet you live at home with mammy and daddy and would not know what a bill was if it hit you in the face

IGNORANCE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'd be happy to pay the yearly sub if they actually used it on the service, but most games are peer-to-peer so they're not providing servers.

The central servers for things like scoreboards are a joke, every game I've ever played, from GoW2 to Keflings have obviously hacked scores at the top of the scoreboard, and no one ever fixes them.

Also kids ... no thanks, if I wanted to play with children I'll head down to my local school at lunchtime with a bag of sweets, if MS would actually age-check those playing 18+ games I'd happily pay double.

Omg what s tight arse this guy is..Hope he don't sqeek as he walks

Ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Op not taking the piss here, but yer saying that it's too expensive and going on about bills so yer solutioin of not paying 35-60 euro for a year is to go but a new console + games= 300+

Reminds me of the time my mate had to pay 1200 euro to fix his car which he thought was expensive then went and spent 18 grand on a new car and another 5 grand on insurance

Op not taking the piss here, but yer saying that it's too expensive and going on about bills so yer solutioin of not paying 35-60 euro for a year is to go but a new console + games= 300+

Reminds me of the time my mate had to pay 1200 euro to fix his car which he thought was expensive then went and spent 18 grand on a new car and another 5 grand on insurance

ok lets get this straight I never said I cant afford it nor am I stuck for money but at the same time why throw it away for a service that does not work half of the time

ok lets get this straight I never said I cant afford it nor am I stuck for money but at the same time why throw it away for a service that does not work half of the time
    I never said you were stuck for money.

Eh a service that doesn't work half the time. I can honestly say not once in my memory has xbox live not worked

• Advertisement

I never said you were stuck for money.

Eh a service that doesn't work half the time. I can honestly say not once in my memory has xbox live not worked

try playing dead space 2 you get kicked out all the time due to ea servers messing up

Ea =/= xbox live

Ea =/= xbox live

thats not the point all I know is I paid 59 euro to play games online and it does not work 20% of the time I dont care whos fault it is xbox or ea

thats not the point all I know is I paid 59 euro to play games online and it does not work 20% of the time I dont care whos fault it is xbox or ea
    20% =/= half of the time either.

Op you just want to seem to bitch about live/ea/xbox yer just going off on a different course anyone points out the truth. Enjoy yer ps3 i can see myself getting banned if i reply much more so I'm walking away from this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Microsoft should add a browser to the xbox since the PS3 has one for free.
    It may not be the best browser on the PS3 but I can use it to stream live soccer or golf and browse loads of sites. Maybe with the xbox live subscription it would be even more user friendly.

20% =/= half of the time either.

Op you just want to seem to bitch about live/ea/xbox yer just going off on a different course anyone points out the truth. Enjoy yer ps3 i can see myself getting banned if i reply much more so I'm walking away from this thread

you obviously misunderstood what this thread was about basically its all the reasons why xbox live should be free. having said that you should have expected some bithching about live ea xbox so if you cant handle that dont post here and when you walk away please close the door on the way out ;)

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Microsoft should add a browser to the xbox since the PS3 has one for free.
    It may not be the best browser on the PS3 but I can use it to stream live soccer or golf and browse loads of sites. Maybe with the xbox live subscription it would be even more user friendly.

beleve it or not you can get a browser for the xbox, you get it through windows media center so you need to connect up your laptop or pc but it works non the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Listen here junior come back to me when Ur paying a mortages and keeping wife and kids goin otherwise shut Ur mouth and spend some money if u want those things and don't be tight arse dick head..mammy will buy them for u ok so don't worry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Dude if you're getting kicked off the EA servers... It's gonna happen on PS3 too...

EA Servers = Run by EA.
    PSN Servers = Run by Sony
    Xbox Servers = Run by Microsoft.

And Xbox live shouldn't be free..I have modded mine so I'm laughing all the way when it comes to ye paying 60 euro for them and me paying next to nothing for them..

• Advertisement

Listen here junior come back to me when Ur paying a mortages and keeping wife and kids goin otherwise shut Ur mouth and spend some money if u want those things and don't be tight arse dick head..mammy will buy them for u ok so don't worry

lmfao funniest so far and in answer to you I am paying off a mortage

edit cas im not going to stoop to your level as im far more intelligent as I dont need foul language to get my point across

also enjoy you ban for abusing other members

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

With the extra money you'd spend buying a PS3 over an Xbox, you could buy 2 or 3 years of Xbox LIVE :D

My only gripe with Xbox LIVE is that Europe gets screwed over; America gets everything. I'd also like access to indie games, I'd like the price of Microsoft Points to be in line with the American costs, and I'd like the ability to migrate my account.

But, Xbox seems to have the better gaming community, it's policed a lot more, and it's just an easier interface to deal with. They make it so easy for you to give them money :(

For less than €1 a week, it's definitely worth it. Even if it's just for the rare epic sales i.e. Splosion Man for €2, Mass Effect 2 DLC for €2.50. Microsoft also seem to have better arcade exclusives, and these guys often produce better games than the likes of EA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

cheers for the heads up I was under the assumption it was 59 for the year 35s a lot better but to be honest think im gunna buy a ps3 soon

It is, if you pay through your dashboard. Have a look at the stickied thread at the top if the forum. You'll find loads of links to cheap sites offering great deals. Just make sure to post your buying experience for the benefit of other boardies.

Raze mentioned €35, if so, that's awesome value for 12 months.

I don't think he understands why ea servers go down now and again for few hours..it's called updating the game and fixing few things..he will understand soon don't worry

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Right, I have spent the last hour reviewing the thread.

First things first. I'm reopening this thread providing it stays on topic. If it decends into an xbox360 v PS3 thread, it gets locked. Onto the issue of personal insults.

Superfish, if you are annoyed by the prices of certain items/services then that is fine. No one is putting a gun to your head to but these items. To be honest, if you post statements such as the rrod debacle is a sales-generating method employed by MS, you are letting yourself open to stick. Some of your comments (telling people to wake up and saying people arre thanks whores) did not help matters. Xinkai, your response to each of the 7 points are excellent and very well written (I agree with all 7), but concluding that the OP is spoilt is not on at all, even if this is the result of a thought out analysis. Superfish, your replies were not on either. I'm giving both of you a warning.

Many of you have disagreed strongly to the OPs posts but have not resorted to directly insulting the OP. However, alanhiggyno1, your first post on the thread was nothing more than a direct insult to the OP, and your second post was also a direct insult to the OP which used abusive language. The second post was a response to personal abuse from the OP regarding living conditions.

Alanhiggyno1, 1 week ban for personal abuse, and use of foul language

Superfish, 1 wek ban for personal abuse and being smart with those who disagreed with your statements.

Thread opened, but as said earlier, keep on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Healium wrote: »
    With the extra money you'd spend buying a PS3 over an Xbox, you could buy 2 or 3 years of Xbox LIVE :D

My only gripe with Xbox LIVE is that Europe gets screwed over; America gets everything. I'd also like access to indie games, I'd like the price of Microsoft Points to be in line with the American costs, and I'd like the ability to migrate my account.

But, Xbox seems to have the better gaming community, it's policed a lot more, and it's just an easier interface to deal with. They make it so easy for you to give them money :(

For less than €1 a week, it's definitely worth it. Even if it's just for the rare epic sales i.e. Splosion Man for €2, Mass Effect 2 DLC for €2.50. Microsoft also seem to have better arcade exclusives, and these guys often produce better games than the likes of EA.

The fact that Xbox live customers in Europe get so much less for the subscription fee compared to the what you get in the states sucks. MS could at least factor down the cost to balance it out some and along with the hassle you need to go through to cancel the subscription needs to be made more easy imho.

Venom wrote: »
    The fact that Xbox live customers in Europe get so much less for the subscription fee compared to the what you get in the states sucks. MS could at least factor down the cost to balance it out some and along with the hassle you need to go through to cancel the subscription needs to be made more easy imho.
    only use codes never credit card details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Xinkai pretty much covered all the main points but with regards the topic title, no I don't think it should be free. Why? Because running it is an on-going expense for MS. Yes there are no dedicated servers, yes it would be nice if there were but that doesn't mean they don't run a large number of servers for other parts of the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Probably what I hear most, always compared to Playstations free network, but a few things.

1) Xbox 360 has fully dedicated customer support, 365 days, 7 days a week. And this isn't in India or something, this is in Ireland, couple of hundred staff.
    2) Xbox server host a vast marketplace of content,streaming content and matchmaking services for game devs to take advantage off. Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Zune, ESPN, Sky, game addons, full games on demand and demos and videos/trailers. Consider the hardware required to store the TERRABYTES of data, then firing them off to YOUR Xbox.
    3) Xbox has a fully manned technical department that aim to resolve issues within 24 hours, you've probably experienced like, two major downtime periods over the last 4 months, but I can assure you there have been a couple of dozen, but resolved so quickly you didn't notice.

An example of this was Fifa11 and Call of duty black ops release. From my sources, the Playstation network was down regularly for both of these games during the week of launch. At one stage an issue with Black Ops took 4 days to resolve. Black Ops had a "Black out" on Xbox live that lasted 12 minutes, 12...minutes.

Granted I work for said service, I'm definitly not biased. But I fully comprehend why the service costs money, I'm not be littering playstation, but I've seen what they have to offer, their matchmaking service among other things and I can see why Xbox charge money, and why its the stronger service.

Also if you were not aware, Microsoft host ALL matchmaking for games across the platform bar EA games. When you take Halo and Call of duty alone, thats alot of traffic, nevermind the hundreds of other games out there.

Thats alot of hardware, 365days 24/7 support teams and technical teams and alot of bandwidth.

Simply put yeah of course they are getting a slice of profits, obviously, but the money goes into the actual service and keeping it ticking over.

Its just something to think about, people are too quick to have a whinge about paying for Xbox live, it works out at less then 40 cent a day, really nothing when you think about it.

The same is said for Blizzard and Wow, but having hardware that runs a pretty efficent service for over 15 million people globally, does cost a few pennies.

There is pretty much a sale on gold subscriptions EVERY week aswell. For various packages bringing the price down further.

My advice?

Take the five second phone call, remove your auto renewal on your sub then come end of your gold subscription, have a peek at the new offers on the dashboard.

I got my new Xbox like two weeks ago now, got 6 months for €15 and two arcade games, happy enough, the week earlier was 40% of 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

My sub ran out recently but yeah there was 3 months xbox live with 3 months free and 2 games I believe this week, think it was about €20 maybe?

Not to bad at all for all that, ended up going to argos to try and get 14 months for €35 but they were all sold out :( so just got the 12 months for €44 ...tonnes of deals online but I just never bothered to do it since i was in the place already

Also set up my sky player on it, i never really used it before since it didn't work to well but since i got a new ISP it works great

I'd rather they didn't put a browser on it, because A: it would probably be some sort of Internet Explorer and B: rather keep it for more of a gaming device, the facebook/twitter integreation is ok, but rarely use it

I even watched that flora challeng add on the news screen for cooking recipes!

Advertisement