Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a laptop in the states

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Just a quick question, why get a laptop with a 17.3 inch screen.

If you intend on taking it with you a lot its highly inadvisable whereas if its just going to be sitting in your living room IMO its still too big.

On the deal side of things it doesnt seem brilliant tbh.

What are you using it for??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

plonk wrote: »
    Just a quick question, why get a laptop with a 17.3 inch screen.

If you intend on taking it with you a lot its highly inadvisable whereas if its just going to be sitting in your living room IMO its still too big.

On the deal side of things it doesnt seem brilliant tbh.

What are you using it for??
    It will mostly be used when I get home for watching movies and messing around with video editing software. What kind of specs should I be looking at for 600e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Its just that 17 inch laptop are extremely clunky, my approach would be get a 14inch and a separate monitor for when video editing.

There are new intel processers coming out at the moment but they havent been fully integrated into the market yet. It may take a couple of weeks.

then would be the time to look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

You will have to pay state taxes on top of the quoted price. The average state tax rate is around 8.5%

At the probable exchange rate the laptop is going to cost 700euro

You would also be, technically, liable to pay VAT of 21% on the cost when you arrive in the EU

Due to the far lower levels of consumer protection in the US, I would not buy any electrical equipment there. The Irish Sale of goods act would not apply and any support would be at the manufacturers terms. For example, if you had a 1 year international warranty and the computer broke after 366 days you would be on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jahalpin wrote: »

You would also be, technically, liable to pay VAT of 21% on the cost when you arrive in the EU

Not if you leave the packaging behind and carry it on to the plane as hand luggage. Make sure the user account is setup, they may ask you to turn it on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 obrien.cathal

Regarding clearing customs. Can they tell by serial number/label if your electronic goods are from outside the EU? If they could they could demand that you produce a receipt for the goods or pay import duties.

plonk wrote: »
    Its just that 17 inch laptop are extremely clunky, my approach would be get a 14inch and a separate monitor for when video editing.

There are new intel processers coming out at the moment but they havent been fully integrated into the market yet. It may take a couple of weeks.

then would be the time to look

Just as you were saying, the newer processors are comming out and the processing power and the battery life of the laptops are alot better with the Sandy Bridge processor.
    Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

First find what computer it is that you need, then compare prices over there and here.
    Generally they are cheaper over there though. I've bought a few things while over for work and saved a bit.

If you just have one lappy with you they won't check it as you leave US, at least I've never been checked, just put it through the x-ray and off you go.
    Same if you buy a phone or a camera.

biko wrote: »
    First find what computer it is that you need, then compare prices over there and here.
    Generally they are cheaper over there though. I've bought a few things while over for work and saved a bit.

If you just have one lappy with you they won't check it as you leave US, at least I've never been checked, just put it through the x-ray and off you go.
    Same if you buy a phone or a camera.

That was the plan. I will have my camera over aswell so gonna put the photos on it before I head back to the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr Moxie

Hi Padair
    I found this thread this morning and I decided to register with Boards.ie so I could reply to you!
    For the past couple of years I have been researching/working on setting up a business in the area of online video.
    Because I was getting into this area I was encouraged to make the switch to Mac about 2yrs ago, by two people who run their creative businesses from a Mac (my girlfriends family in the US). A refurbished (brand new really) 13" Mac Book cost ~€600 on the Apple.com, so I purchased it!
    When I arrived home I looked at Apple.com (Irish) again and would you believe it...the exact same spec 13" refurb Mac Book cost...wait for it..... €1350!!!!!!!
    I will never ever ever ever buy any electronic item from Ireland that I can buy from the US (as long as it will work over here, not everything does). We get well and truly ripped off over here, same for TV's etc.

My advice to you is this, if you are interested in video production, get a Mac and put your savings towards saving up for Final Cut Pro, you will have a set up as good as the best for not a huge outlay.
    By the way, with a fantastic piece of software called Parallels you can also load a Windows OS to a Mac, Parallels cost ~€70.

Best of luck Padair

Mr Moxie

• Advertisement
Advertisement