Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss is slow to pay

Options
  • 01-04-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am in my current job six months and it was going OK up until recently. I am supposed to be paid on the last Friday of every month but for February I wasn't paid until the 17th of March (after repeated requests).
    For March I had to again ask to be paid but even though it went in it was too late as far as I was concerned as my account was already overdrawn at that stage. I had to use my credit card to withdraw cash (had to do the same last month).
    I am absolutley seething and came pretty close to refusing to come into work until I was paid. It's simply not acceptable that I have to beg and crave to be paid. My boss's excuse is that the company is a start-up and is not making revenues yet (he had to take out an overdraft recently).
    However that is not my problem, I'm a professional, educated to degree level with some (not a lot) experience. If you want a service you pay for it, if you can't, tough you-know-what.
    What really annoys me is that it doesn't seem to bother him that I am not paid.
    In fact I even got the impression that he was slightly p***ed off that I was asking him about it. There is just me and one other person in the company (he has been paid late too and doesn't seem to mind it).
    My boss is not unpleasant to work for in any way but I am looking for something else as it is very upsetting for me not to be paid and I find it hard to concentrate in work as a result.
    I don't have a mortgage or a family to support or debts to pay, my parents have property and a comfortable home that I would be welcomed back with open arms to if I was laid off but that's not the point.
    I am looking for another job at the moment as I am fed up with his attitude at this stage.
    Maybe he's thinking he can get away with treating me like this because of the recession, I don't know. I have a few applications that I hope will turn into interviews.
    Don't know why I posted this, I suppose just to make myself feel a little better...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Some people have an attitude that they will not pay bills until they absolutely have to. People can be left owed money for years. The important thing is not to let them away with it. Go to him immediately the money is due and hassle him. Do it every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Some people have an attitude that they will not pay bills until they absolutely have to. People can be left owed money for years. The important thing is not to let them away with it. Go to him immediately the money is due and hassle him. Do it every time.

That's just the point, I shouldn't have to do that. What I am on is a pittance anyway, it shouldn't be that hard to come up with it.
    What really annoys me is that he seems to treat paying me as some kind of inconvienence that he has to put up with. As I say, he's not hard to work for but I have turned against him over attitude.
    I can't understand his attitude because if I leave he is up the creek. Sems a strange way to treat an employee you depend so much on.

Advertisement