Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gracie combatives?

• 01-04-2011 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Just wondering if its worth doing? I train in 3 martial arts so time is very limited, but i would like to learn some form of BJJ with out having to commit too much time to learn it. Would it be a good intro to BJJ/GJJ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

intro yeah but so wouldyou tube

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Crusher

I was thinking of actually going to the US to do the course, dont think i'd get much from the online stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

cowzerp wrote: »
    intro yeah but so wouldyou tube
    In fairness they're far-far beyond anything you'd find on youtube. They're well put together and Ryron and Rener do an excellent job of explaining things.

That said, I think using videos as the base of your training is a horrible idea, and video based grading is even worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Crusher wrote: »
    I was thinking of actually going to the US to do the course, dont think i'd get much from the online stuff!
    You won't learn a new martial art this way. Short courses are something to add to a base of regular training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Crusher wrote: »
    Just wondering if its worth doing? I train in 3 martial arts so time is very limited, but i would like to learn some form of BJJ with out having to commit too much time to learn it. Would it be a good intro to BJJ/GJJ?

It's not worth doing, from the point of view that it will not help you develop a practical BJJ skill set.
    You need a good BJJ gym and a good BJJ coach to get a good BJJ intro.
    No shortcuts I'm afraid :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Just don't ask what belt colour you should wear in a bjj competition or it will all kick off again like the thread last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

mginaction.com is a great way of learning techniques if you dont have access to an instructor, if you want to compete in BJJ or learn to use techniques under 'live' circumstances I certainly wouldn't recomend gracie combatives.

IMO

Advertisement