Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn fixup

Options
  • 01-04-2011 2:17pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to sort out the grass we have front and back. Moved into the house a year ago and the garden wasn't looked after before. I've used the weed and feed twice and cut the grass regularily, so it looks better but still not great.

My mother is using a contractor to take care of her lawn, they come out 5 times in the year to do different things, and I'm trying to replicate what they do which is:

Feb - heavy moss kill
    Mar - scarify, overseed, high P fertilizer
    June - summer feed, weed
    Sept - autumn feed
    Nov/Dec - winter feed 2 in 1

So I've done the moss kill and scarified the back with an electric scarifier (got in Lidl) - couldn't believe the amount of crap that came up. Looks like I have a nice base for new grass after it anyway. For the overseed and fertilizer, what would you guys recommend? Is this a pre-mixed seed with fertilizer, or do I buy lawn feed and separate fertilizer? Any recommendations for brand, types? How do I put it down and how much do I need?

Appreciate any tips, thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

The best thing you can do is buy your seed from a hardware shop and not the boxed seed that woodies/atlantic do. These boxes could be on their shelves for years and the seed won't germinate, hardware shops tend to get deliveries of seed a few times of year so most of the seed will germinate.

Regarding the fertiliser, I find the Evergreen stuff fantastic, I used the mow it less (or something like that) and the grass went a gorgeous deep green and thickened up nicely.

Advertisement