Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The one with the Duathlon, Half Marathon and the Adventure Race"

• 01-04-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Right am doing this to try and get myself motivated again, completed the couch to 5k just after xmas, completing my first 5k race in 27:14. So the plan is now to mark at least 4 races to compete in, and hopefully another few in between:

The races in mind are as follows:

10th Annual Salthill 5km 19th April
    Rás an Spidéal 8km 29th May
    Milltown 10k 18th June
    Galway Bay 10 1st October

So the plan is to train 3 nights a week where possible, hoping to join a Fit4Life group this week to steer me in the right direction and hopefully push me towards my 10k goal and hopefully beyond.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Good luck with the log i have just started one too this week.. and i have to say it does help... well it did this week anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

right found a fit4life group and am starting tuesday there,here's hoping the beginning of the 10k odyssey

Couldn't make it for the Fit4Life group last night as was working late but came home and went for a run. Only lasted 20 minutes and 3k, felt i was fighting a battle against the hill and the wind last night. But tomorrow is another day, and will be getting my 5k in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 21 JinkyJ

backspacer, Good luck with your log and plan..

finally joined the fit4life group tonight,great gang to run with..did a 6.2 km run in 42 minutes,not a blistering pace but its good to be back running properly again.

• Advertisement

went for a 6k walk in salthill today,just to stretch the legs but was a nice pace,took about 50 minutes to complete but back to the run on tuesday with the fit4life group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Best of luck with your training and log, backspacer! I'll be running Rás an Spidéil too so hopefully I'll see you there!

thanks micilin,i'll be easy enough to spot in ras an spideal,i'll be the one spluttering for air going up the hill on the moycullen road:)

Went for the group run tonight and did about 7km in 41 minutes,good pace for the slow joggers group so am happy out tonight,just praying i won't be in pain tomorrow

Was out again last night with the Fit4Life group, can't endorse these groups highly enough for anyone who wants to get motivated to run, brilliant.

Anyways went up to Dangan with them again last night, did tempo training with them - in other words you run the length of the pitch and walk the sides to recover. I was thinking "Ok, that sounds not too bad", till i realised that there was two pitches there, so fast run 2 lengths and then walk. Had to repeat this for 4 circuits of the pitch and then jog back to where we started. So worked out about nearly 8km altogether in about 53 minutes. Have to say have a great feeling of accomplishment today after it, thought i could never push myself like that. 5KM race in Salthill now on Tuesday, hope to make a decent fist of that.

• Advertisement

Short run today, about 4.2km in 25 minutes, but was a bit tough going back uphill for the last 2km. But no major strain today, Tuesday is the next day now, Salthill race, so here's hoping for a good time.

Did the Salthill 5k last night, completed it in 27:54 (27:38 according to chip) - part of me is only so so about the time, but i had such a slow first kilometre(6:30) that i spent the rest of the race trying to make it up. Still onwards and upwards, will just have to work harder and try and make it under that 27 minute mark.

Went down to the local GAA pitch last night, figured a few laps would do me good. Ended up doing 20 laps plus 2 warm up and 1 cool down lap, 23 in all. Approx 7.5 km in 45 minutes.

Morning all, out last night for a run with the fit4life group, did about a 11 minute mile pace and worked out about over 4 miles in 44 minutes. Was a slow enough pace but was glad to ease easily back into the week after the easter exertions of the easter eggs, bad idea them easter eggs - feel lazy for a week after:)

Anyways, out for a run again on thursday, hope to get more distance in. The 8k in Spiddal looms large so i need to get up to the distance as quick as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

backspacer wrote: »
    The 8k in Spiddal looms large so i need to get up to the distance as quick as possible.

Don't do too much too soon! You've got 4 weeks or so until that race!

Don't do too much too soon! You've got 4 weeks or so until that race!
    The only thing playing on my mind for the Spiddal race is that hill up the Moycullen Road, if i can get past that i fancy my chances of a decent race:D

Right out again last night with the fit4life group. Distance covers was 4.2 miles (6.75km) but mainly up against a hill as we headed out the moycullen road. We stopped at a certain point where we did sprints up against a sharp incline, did nine of those and then jogged back to where we started. Took approximately 44 minutes.

Have to say this was a tough run, the inclines were tough but have to say got great satisfaction out of it, the only thing that is suffering is my knees today, but still feel great though.

Just a short run this weekend, 5km run in 31 minutes, not a blistering pace this weekend. The heat was a killer yesterday so made it a lot harder than i had expected but made a nice change from the usual bad weather that i've been out in:D

Been off for a few days so only got back into it last night, did a 7.4km run last night in about 48 minutes. So am looking at 53 minutes for 8km at the moment, but thats been optimistic especially for Rás an Spidéal, that damn hill is going to be a killer i imagine.

As a side note by the way, just for anyone thats interested, there's a guess your time race in Ballindine on the 28th May, basically you write how long it will take you to complete 4 miles. Was thinking about it but realised Rás an Spidéal was the day after. You can look it up on runireland.com if anyone is interested.

just a short one today,5k in salthill and not a fast one,the wind is something else today,but glad to get something done.

• Advertisement

Right i figured for the days i ain't running i'm going to do some strength training, so have taken on the exercises recommended by Hal Higdon for running http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Strength.html. I'm hoping to use this for two days of the weeks and run the other 3 for the moment, at least it will keep me busy on my days off and build up some core strength as well.

Back out again last night for a group jog, managed about 4.5 miles in 44 minutes, pace was a bit faster last night but then again there was no pacer so we had to wing it in terms of getting it right.

Actually to anyone who reads this (not many i imagine :) ), how do you calculate the pace with only a stopwatch, maybe it can't be done i don't know, just trying to figure out the handiest way to do it without spending €300 on a Garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You won't be able to see your pace as you run, but if you run a route with measured intervals - say a 1k loop - you could check your time at the end of each interval and work out if you need to speed up or slow down.

RayCun wrote: »
    You won't be able to see your pace as you run, but if you run a route with measured intervals - say a 1k loop - you could check your time at the end of each interval and work out if you need to speed up or slow down.

I was thinking as much, thanks for that. Am new to this so pacing is something i never really thought about till recently, but might have a go at trying to figure it out.

Group run last night, about 7km in 44 minutes. Started in Westside, down the Threadneedle Rd, along the Prom and a loop back towards Westside again.

One thing i'm starting to notice is that my general suffering is getting less lately, which is offering great encouragement for me, am not gasping for air at the end of a run either which cheers me up no end. Am looking forward now to increasing distance up to the 10k mark soon, and can't wait to push on to it now.

Woke up on Friday morning and felt like i jarred my knee so have been taking it easy the last few days, not happy sitting around either to be honest :mad:

Am gonna take a crack at it this evening and see how i feel, can't take sitting around much longer or i'll go spare.

Right took to the treadmill this weekend as the weather officially went to pot on Saturday, the knee is feeling better thank God so am back up and running (pardon the pun).

Programme: Alpine Pass
    Distance: 6.33 km
    Time: 45 minutes
    Calories Burnt: 600

Have noticed a marked improvement in my fitness as 45 minutes running/jogging on a treadmill before was not likely to happen, so have to say am pleased with that. Rás an Spidéal now on the weekend, so thats the next target to take off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Dont forget to take it easy in the days coming up to your event. Scaling back the mileage and intensity is important if you want to perform at your best. I used to think that a few easy days before a race would leave me out of shape and unfit on the day!! Quite the opposite as I have learned.

Well done for sticking to your plan up to goal number 1 - you'll get great motivation now after this race. Mind that knee though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Agree with paconner Backspacer. Don't overdo it this week trying to get faster or further in training. I think you'll really surprise yourself on the day of the race.
    I toyed with the idea of either of those two races (Spideal or Ballindine) but am now thinking of the 8k in Cong (woods) the following weekend instead.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys, i'd say i'll try and keep the distance to the minimum this week, i plan to do a 5k jog this evening and another on Thursday so that should have me in good stead for Sunday.

Advertisement