Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The one with the Duathlon, Half Marathon and the Adventure Race"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Monday:

Strength training tonight, felt I was neglecting this so was glad to get back on the bench and do it.

Tuesday:

Went solo tonight and took a run down to Trá an Dóilín tonight, was feeling a bit ropey heading out but after the first mile found my running legs again. Lovely breezy evening heading down to the sea, made it totally worth the run.

Distance: 6.44 km (4.0 miles)
    Pace: 9:36 p/mile
    Time: 38:24

Wednesday:

Went out playing soccer this evening for about 70 minutes, good pace to the game, plenty of sprints so good session.

Thursday

Disaster last night, went to do the Fit4Life group session and pulled up as soon as I started the warm up jog, the muscles in the middle of my back tightened up and got very painful. So couldn't do a run last night. Its my own fault, i didn't stretch after the soccer on Wednesday night, thinking i'd be fine but paid for it then when I tried to get started. This is going to set me back a couple of days as I'm still in pain today(Friday), hopefully it'll pass over the weekend as long as i take it easy.

Friday - Monday:

Got nothing done over the weekend as my back was still at me, Monday evening i started to feel back to normal at long last, only a few days out but felt like forever.

Tuesday:

Back on the road tonight :) Went for a run with the Fit4Life group tonight, was a bit apprehensive that i'd have a repeat of Thursday but thankfully went through the session unscathed.

Anyways, was a lovely warm evening for a run from westside to the quincentennial bridge and back, worked out at about 4.6 miles, hard going in places but was good to get out and do it anyways. Am just happy to have my half marathon training back on track(so to speak:) )

Location: Westside Library to Quincentennial Bridge (and back)
    Distance: 4.6 miles (7.4 km)
    Pace: 9:26 p/mile
    Time: 43:26

Wednesday:

Got nothing done on Wednesday, was taking it easy as my back my still only so so after Tuesday night, so erred on the side of caution this week.

Thursday:

Went out with the Fit4Life group tonight with a nice slow pace, as we were doing some hill sprints half way through on Bushypark Avenue, good sharp incline and got the legs going hard. Felt good but was sore enough after it.

Distance: 4 miles(approx)
    Pace: n/a
    Time: 46:00

Friday:

Rest Day

Saturday:

Went for a run/jog for about 20 minutes, before been spectacularly rained out of it, pretty much killed the humour i had for anything longer.

Sunday:

Out for my 5 mile run this afternoon, was not a great one as my pace was way too fast for a training run, which would explain feeling fairly crappy come the end of it. Still struggled along in a horrible crosswind that was intent on putting me off finishing it at every attempt.

Distance: 5 miles
    Pace: 9:07 p/mile
    Time: 45:33

Thats week 3 completed now, at the second attempt. So hopefully this week will be a straight run with no injury concerns.

• Advertisement

Monday:

Alas nothing done today, strength training is not working out for me at all :mad:

Tuesday:

Out with the Fit4Life group tonight, was a nice run tonight. Bit of a change of scenery as well. From Westside out to the Prom, up Leisureland towards Pearse Stadium, up the Threadneedle road and back towards Westside, worked out at approximately 6.5km.

Distance: 4.0 miles (6.5 km)
    Time: 40:40
    Pace: 10:10 p/mile

Looking forward to next Tuesday, will be doing a practice run on the Streets of Galway route, will be good to get a first hand look at it.

Tuesday:

Took a week off due to a family wedding and all round general craziness at home coming up to it. Plus was feeling fairly tired the last week or so so thought this would be a good time to step back and take it easy for a few days.

Anyways, got back into it last night, went with the Fit4Life group and ran the Streets of Galway route, was a glorious evening for running. The route itself is pretty decent, one or two deceptive inclines but all in all a very nice race route.

Route: Streets of Galway 8k
    Distance: 5 miles (8km)
    Pace: 9:39 p/mile
    Time: 48:19

Have to say am looking forward to this now, plus the last 2km across the prom is great on evenings like last night, so hopefully some similar weather for the 6th August.

Thursday:

Group run again tonight, up from Westside around Dangan. Felt fairly tough after the 5 miles on Tuesday, but put it down to tiredness after a long day at work. Still am clocking up the miles and looks like its 6 miles for the LSR on Sunday, thinking of doing this in town as it is easier to clock on mapmyrun how far i have to run. Plus will get me familiar with the Streets of Galway route again so i'll be ready for it:)

Distance: 4.0 miles
    Pace: 10:15 p/mile
    Time: 41:03

As an aside, would be grateful for any input - what does everyone think of the Garmin Forerunner 205, have seen them on Amazon for about £80 and am tempted to take a punt on it? I'd be mainly at the moment using it for pace and distance, so would it be worth a go i wonder, trying to keep to a budget as well:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

backspacer wrote: »
    As an aside, would be grateful for any input - what does everyone think of the Garmin Forerunner 205, have seen them on Amazon for about £80 and am tempted to take a punt on it? I'd be mainly at the moment using it for pace and distance, so would it be worth a go i wonder, trying to keep to a budget as well:)

I think the 205 is the same as the 305, but doesn't support a heart rate monitor? The 305 is great, and I've never used the HRM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

RayCun wrote: »
    I think the 205 is the same as the 305, but doesn't support a heart rate monitor? The 305 is great, and I've never used the HRM...

+1 on what Ray says - that's the only difference. I have the 205 for a couple of years now and never had problem with it. It's visited numerous puddles, hit off a few walls etc so its nice and durable! Like you I went for it purely because of budget and I don't regret it.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the feedback guys, was hoping to hear some good stuff about it, would be good to have one instead of having to making estimates for distance and pace which can be tricky at the best of times.

Sunday:

Headed into Galway City this morning, figured the change of scenery would do me good. Started at the Claddagh, in through town, out the cathedral road and out past the hospital to Taylor's Hill, down the Threadneedle Rd, and across the Prom, in through South Park finishing at the Claddagh again. Lovely run, just shy of 6 miles.

Distance: 5.9 miles
    Pace: 9:47 p/mile
    Time: 53:49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Neart cnoc ar an rith sin!

Neart cnoc ar an rith sin!

Cinnte,neart cnocain agus ni thug an teas moran cunamh dhom ach an oiread

Tuesday

Nothing worth talking about really, just sneaked in a quick run last night, just 3.1 miles in about 26 minutes, not exactly sure of the time as i forgot to stop the watch at the end:rolleyes:

Still just anything to keep me loose for Saturday:)

Wednesday:

Just went for a 40 minute walk to stretch the legs today, did me the world of good to loosen my legs:)

Thursday:

Just another 3 mile run tonight to get myself sorted for the Streets on Saturday.

Distance: 3.1 miles
    Pace: 8:49 p/mile
    Time: 27:20

Just a quick post on the Streets of Galway time, i registered a time of 42:49, a good 3 and a half minutes off my best time for 8k so was delighted. But will wait for the chip timing to see the official time first, but definitely below my last 8k time so am happy out:D

Just checked online now for the Streets of Galway official time, clocked 42:50 for 8k so am very happy, great improvement since Rás an Spidéal on the 29th May (46:19 was the time), so happy days :D

Distance: 5 miles (8km)
    Pace: 8:34 p/mile
    Time: 42:50

Always gives you a great feeling of motivation when work starts to pay off, here's hoping thats not a one off improvement :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Brilliant stuff, backspacer. That's some improvement in a short period of time!

ronanmac wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff, backspacer. That's some improvement in a short period of time!

Thanks Ronan,its a great encouragement to make some progress, i know i have a long way to go to catch up with some people yet but this time last year i wouldn't have even thought of running anywhere so is a great feeling.

• Advertisement

Monday

Nothing major here, just went for a walk to stretch the legs after the weekend, find it very hard not to break into a jog/run though:D

Tuesday

Took off for a run tonight to try and get back into a routine, usually slack off after a race for a couple of days, but can't do that with the half marathon getting closer.

Anyways, decided to head to Inverin and take a run up the bog road which has a nice mix of small inclines and flats to test the legs. Was a so so evening for a run, can't remember the last time i had to wear a long sleeve top and a hat for a run so that says it all.

The route itself is challenging with some deceptive little inclines, but definitely made for a good hard run which i always enjoy. Plus the quiet road is always a plus for me anyways, and the scenery is something else, i always forget how nice and peaceful it can be in certain places where i live.

Distance: 5.2 miles
    Pace: 9:29 p/mile
    Time: 49:21

Thursday:

Back up the bog road in Inverin tonight, feels good to head up that way and clear the head, although met about 10 walkers on the road, so i guess i'm not the only one to get the bright idea to head up there :)

Anyhow, took a nice steady pace last night, felt a bit lazy but like everything when you get into it you feel a lot better for it. Was a bit of a blustery evening, some light showers but doesn't really bother me anymore. Must be this running bug that everyone talks about :)

Pace: 9:05 p/mile
    Time: 47:15

Just as an aside, i decided in order to keep me honest for the half marathon, i got in contact with Western Alzheimers and offered to collect sponsorship for them. So my sponsorship cards landed in the post yesterday, will definitely keep my eye on the ball now as i've no choice now :D

Sunday:

Took to town on Sunday to do a 7 mile loop around the city, found it tough enough when i hit Taylors Hill, the gradual climb up that road for nearly a mile is a killer but found it a lot easier when i finally hit the top, great feeling as well to beat it.

I more or less followed a similar route to the 6 mile plan except turn up the hill before College Road and instead of going down Threadneedle Rd after Taylors Hill, i proceeded on the Knocknacarra Rd and back down towards Salthill. Was feeling it towards the last km but that said felt some great satisfaction out of it. Would never have thought of being able to do 7 miles without stopping before, now i'm starting to think anything is possible :D

Location: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/45124618/
    Distance: 7.08 miles (11.40km)
    Pace: 9:15 p/mile
    Time: 1:05:30

Tuesday:

Back to the bogs of Inverin again tonight, i'd say the repitition will start to get to people reading this after a while:D Anyways took a nice steady pace for my 5 miles, there was a strong cross breeze that made it a bit tougher coming back, but i guess i better get used to that - i'd imagine that Salthill on the 1st October will be a bit breezy unless things change :)

Pace: 9:16 p/mile
    Time: 48:15

Back to the bogs of Inverin again tonight, i'd say the repitition will start to get to people reading this after a while:D

The more you mention your running in the bogs of Inverin the more I want to go myself!

The more you mention your running in the bogs of Inverin the more I want to go myself!

Ha you'd be the first i imagine, its just handy as its quiet, minimum traffic and no dogs :D

Ha you'd be the first i imagine, its just handy as its quiet, minimum traffic and no dogs :D

It beats running on the concrete pavements of Dublin!

It beats running on the concrete pavements of Dublin!

Aye i believe it, can't beat some the peace you get out here for running sometimes.

Right i disappeared off this for a few days, but between one thing and another a lot conspired against me to get any runs in. However as i was with family for a few days, did more walking than running, although walking around Inis Oirr on Sunday was a bit of good exercise for the legs.

Monday:
    My long run was pushed back to Monday this week due to not been home on the weekend but hopefully will get back to normal after this week. Took to Salthill tonight to follow the route of the Galway Bay Half (well the first 13km of it). Found the route to be decent and flat, which is a nice change from the usual runs up Taylor's Hill which i've been doing of late. I reckon that the second loop around the caravan park at the 14km mark will be where the suffering will start for the less seasoned runners like myself. But am delighted to knock out the first 13 and a bit km without stopping. A massive jump since April for me, when 5-10km was the target.

Distance: 8.2 miles (13.2 km)
    Pace: 8:31 p/mile
    Time: 1:09:54

• Advertisement

I hadn't originally planned to stick a run in last night but for some strange reason after getting home at 10 o'clock I just fancied stretching the legs and sneaking in a couple of miles, some would probably call it an affliction, I would call it an addiction :)

Anyways when I got home i settled on retreading an old route which I used to do when I started running last winter, plenty of street lamps so that i didn't have to wander too far off the beaten track. So i parked up and off i went, first time in a long time i wore a hat and hoody for a run which was strange in itself. It's a nice feeling to just hit the road and get a few miles in, even the wind and cold don't bother me anymore. Going through Carraroe it was so quiet, but just made the run more pleasant for me.

Distance: 3.5 miles (5.62 km)
    Pace: 10:26 p/mile
    Time: 36:34

Back out again tonight for a group run around Spiddal, has just pelted down rain here - so here's hoping for some dry spells even for 45 minutes tonight :)

Advertisement