Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband access on Nun's Island?

• 01-04-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm moving to a new apartment on Nun's Island. I had intended on moving my UPC broadband connection there but it seems Nun's Island hasn't got UPC broadband! Seems a bit rediculous that an area right in the center of a city doesn't have that connected!
    Does anyone know of any decent alternatives? I'm just barely out of range of NUIG's wireless which I would get for free because I'm a student.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there a phone line? If so maybe Eircom BB.
    There are few wireless dongle alternatives as well, VF, 3, o2 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭myironlung

I think there's a phone line. There should be, the apartment is only 14 years old and its in a city. Then again, I thought we'd have UPC too!
    Maybe Eircom, but don't they charge line rental on top of the prices they claim on their sites?
    Also I use the internet an awful lot, I'm studying IT, so lots of transferring files goes on. I'd need "unlimited" usage caps. So I doubt mobile "broadband" would suit me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a BB forum on boards that caters for all areas in ireland.
    If you like I can move this thread there? The guys there knows costs and advantages etc about various BBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Have you asked UPC if they can supply it ? I know there are some parts of the city that don't have cabled UPC, but have MMDS aerials instead.

Yes bonzodog2 I've asked them, they only can do tv there. No broadband. I don't know about MMDS aerials, but I assume they would have told me if they could do it. Can MMDS aerials do broadband? I can detect a UPC wireless with my laptop so UPC works somewhere nearby!

biko, if you think it would be better moved elsewhere, do. I just thought local knowledge might help. For anyone who knows Nun's Island, it's Altenagh House. Surprising UPC doesn't work there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

myironlung wrote: »
    Can MMDS aerials do broadband?

no, just tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Vodafone is probably the cheapest, I'm paying €45 total for just broadband.

Not the best service out there, I've had to ring up on more than one connection because my connection gradually slowed down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

UPC has some black spots in Galway. I don't think anyone on Millstreet has UPC but then around the corner on New Road there's no problem. I used to live on Millstreet and i remember asking them if they would ever have coverage there in the future and they said it was pretty unlikely if it wasn't there already.

Bizarre!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,020 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think there's a phone line. There should be, the apartment is only 14 years old and its in a city.

Lots of newer apartments have never had an Eircom line put in: if tenants sign a 6-month least, then take a week to discover that it will be a 4-6 week wait, plus E125 (maybe the wrong number, it was a while ago that I researched it) ... they start adding up how long they'll have the phone for and give up on the idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lots of places with no UPC BB, parts of the Claddagh for one and parts of Bohermore too. Eircom minimum 1 year contract.

Get a Yagi aerial for the NUIG wifi , try wipipe in waterford who will advise or make one yourself :D

http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi6.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭theintern

If you're close enough, see if you can pick up the college wifi signal coming from the Electronic Engineering building in Nun's Island..might work.

Though I'm not sure what'll happen to it after we all move to the new Engineering building

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

That's kinda weird, do UPC just not bother crossing rivers with cables to connect up areas... I think an antennae is the cheapest option to receive the NUIG signal (prob not supposed to do that but anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Eircom minimum 1 year contract.
    Not only is it a 12 month contract but if you move within the 12 month period the minimum period resets so it has to be 12 months minimum in one location.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go with the yagi option. I can get the NUIG wifi perfectly from directly outside my window. Do you know would it be possible to wire the yagi to a wireless router then so I wouldn't have to have a long wire all around the apartment?

Find out whether the campus wifi network is 2.4ghz or 5.3ghz or both before you go looking for the Yagi.!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Find out whether the campus wifi network is 2.4ghz or 5.3ghz or both before you go looking for the Yagi.!

It's G so thats 2.4 right?

look into the Pringle Can yagi so. One in every room in the gaff :)

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

Best learn about pigtails and N connectors too

http://www.binarywolf.com/249/connectors.htm

If you are to connect the yagi to a wifi router then you will need something like this...know your connectors

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-37/Antenna-RP-dsh-TNC-Extension-Cable/Detail.bok

If it dont work inside it is light enough to dangle out the window on a coathook, do put it in a plastic bag first in case it rains :)

You can also hack a cheap wifi dongle like the very common Linksys G WUSB54G or WUSB54GC and add a pigtail cable to it to connect to your yagi, all explained below.

http://www.ab9il.net/wlan-projects/wifi5.html

The AP across the road will be polarized V or H ( the aerial spikes perpendicular or parallel to ground) try both variants when signal hunting and note !!!!!

If that loy doesn't do it I will be amazed, you will ovbiously need McGuyver :D If it does post photos in the wifi forum for the next poor eejit finding themselves needing a booster :)

Thanks for all the help Sponge Bob. Just as regards repeating the signal on would something like this set up work?

http://www.illumi-nations.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=9

The NUIG wifi is unsecured but requires a user login on a html page so I'm not sure how you'd set up a router for that!

Thanks for all the help Sponge Bob. Just as regards repeating the signal on would something like this set up work?

http://www.illumi-nations.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=9

The NUIG wifi is unsecured but requires a user login on a html page so I'm not sure how you'd set up a router for that!

Should do but N type is 5ghz where B/G is 2.4Ghz. That is a Linksys wrt54g router, load on DD-WRT operating system for that extra configurability you may need.

( EDIT, they loaded DD-WRT for you , good)

The NUIG network is only G so it should be ok right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement