Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circus animals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

As far as I know it's allowed all over Ireland (and UK), it's despicable and pointless in this day and age, why people would go to a circus with wild animals in it is completely beyond me. I'll never forget seeing an elephant chained up in Loughrea opposite Supervalu about 7 or 8 years ago, it was the most upsetting depresing thing I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I don't think it's illegal because you see it quite a lot. It's disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I thought it was illgeal now.However i think there is a clause if the animals are living in a park most of the year round.
    I was nearly sure it was banned.I havent seen a wild animals in a circus in years.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I was hoping to bring my kids to one as a treat as they've never been (eldest is13) but wouldn't and they dont want to go if there are animals involved..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Some Councils have banned Circuses that feature wild animals. Duffy's Circus feature Lions & Tigers.

http://duffyscircus.com/theshow.asp

Recently a video surfaced showing a Circus worker in the UK beating an Elephant with a pitchfork !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I don't know if any Irish councils have banned these circuses, but a lot of UK councils and local authorities have banned circuses with live animals, except horses I believe. I went to a circus in London about 10 years ago, no animals anywhere, and it was a fantastic night out, but I won't take any children to one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭salsagal

Unfortunately not only are circuses that use/torture live animals legal, they're also supported with grants from the Irish Arts Council!!:mad:

If you feel strongly enough about the issue, I suggest you get on to the Animal Defenders International (ADI) website, look up their circus campaign that they're running in Ireland and support them..or email the arts council and ask why this barbaric practice is supported by tax payers money?!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Best circus I ever saw was this live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4DfSBnBR08

and not a sniff of an animal anywhere:)

I am shocked that we are give money to circuses though! mind you .....maybe I'm not all that shocked!

The funny part about that elephant in the UK being beaten was if the beating caused as much stress to her as being shackled for her life in that circus. Great that she's headingto Longleat but they have no elephants so she will still be alone, dont know why that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The Great European Circus

Snip

Advertisement