Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start buying stuff?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondered when did most people start buying things for the baby and when is too soon?? I am only 28 weeks now but am finding it harder not to start looking at things like cots, prams, etc.... Don't want to jinx anything either by buying anything too soon, plus my other half wont let me! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

We started buying things after Xmas which would have been about 24 weeks! Was handy getting things in the sales!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I started buying things as/when I came upon a good deal (and since I did most of my looking through eBay, I started shopping early) :D

Personally, I think it's better to spread the costs out if you can - we didn't buy or use a pram, but the costs of those are enormous! Also, the costs of the cot & any furniture you want to get can add up quickly (although it is easy to keep to the basics & so keep costs down).

I know most people are against purchasing and/or bringing baby gear/supplies into the home before the baby's born. That's a personal choice. I liked having all of the bits & pieces sorted so it wasn't something to think about & so my hubby could spend the early days with me instead of running around collecting things that were on lay-by.

Some call it "jinxing." I call it nesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

I have enjoyed staging my purchases while I still had my salary. So around 16 weeks, I started to get stuff.
    Maybe you have enough savings to buy everything at once.
    Not an expert and don't want to alarm anybody, but I think a baby can be viable if born after 28 weeks. Isn't that so?
    Some stuff can wait after the birth if you're not in a hurry. If baby stays in your bedroom for a while, then his bedroom can wait a few months after the birth to be ready.
    Try to borrow as much as you can as most things are not used for too long: moses basket, baby bath...
    And remember, you should receive a lot of presents, mainly baby wear, so don't buy too much baby clothes yourself to start with.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Yep we started buying stuff around Christmas when we were around the 6month mark. A lot of people came forward with stuff for us so we didnt have to buy too much. Himself started picking up nappies and wipes when they were on special offer from around then, and Id get vests, bibs, maternity pads etc each month with my paycheck. Believe me (Im at 41 weeks now!) the last month you really dont want to be queuing in shops for stuff and you should be thinking of having your hosp bag packed from week 35 at the latest!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I still have to actually clear out the nursery! and then buy a cot and bedding and curtains.. then I should be done. im 38 weeks, boyfriend and his family are supersticious about buying things for the baby before it's born..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

We have almost everything bought!! At week 28.

All thats left to do is decorate the nursery and my dad and brother will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

you are due around same time as me then!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Winnie wrote: »
    Don't want to jinx anything either by buying anything too soon, plus my other half wont let me! :D

God I was stashing little cardies at 12 weeks :D I got my pram and cot at 22 weeks after my big scan.. By 28 weeks we had pretty much everything bought.. Fair play to you on your patients.. I couldn't wait that long :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'm starting to buy next week! Will be 20 weeks then... the only reason I haven't started before now is once I start I don't know where I'll stop!!
    Am going to do the "1 item with the groceries every week" thing for the smaller things like nappies, wipes etc. And am hoping to get some of the bigger stuff either second hand from friends!
    There are some sales on at the moment- so I think once I start buying I'll be aiming to get most of the bits on sale or on offer :D
    Happy purchasing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I went and order most of my stuff and left it as late as possible to collect. I no in M&P's i has to wait 4 weeks before cot would arrive. When I order pram i think i was waiting 6 weeks. I liked to be organised and because i was not working i had time to research every single thing and anytime i seen a good bargain i'd be out buying it.

At this stage i'd at least know what pram i wanted as i know some prams didn't suit me. I'd also make sure I had somewhere for baby to sleep be it moses basket or cot. Everything else can be bought each week

• Registered Users Posts: 24 corrr

you could spend €10 on a voucher every time you get the urge to spend, I won't tell ;)
    Also, I'd definitely recommend going to check out the more expensive items (travel systems, carseats, cots etc...)...and 'test-driving' them around the shop.
    How early is too early...? It depends on personal preference really PLUS you will get given a lot of stuff after the birth, so if you see something in a shop consider whether you absolutely cannot do without it...then get it (this really only applies to clothes and really good bargains)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I only found out i was pregnant at 22 weeks so i started buying stuff not long after that. I think when i was around 27 weeks i got my pram, cot, moses basket and swing but that wasnt really intentional. My friend who is also expecting told me there was a liquidation sale on in euro cycles euro babies so me and the OH just went to check it out and we ended up gettting a really good deal on all the above (got it all for 600euro!!) so decided we couldnt pass it up. Im 37 weeks now but had everything by about 34/35 weeks. I just bought things as i saw them and got a good few things on sale. Babies are so expensive and all the bits and bobs you need for a newborn really adds up to quite a bit so i would say when your out shopping or looking aroud town, and you see something on sale or just someting you want, buy it. I think its better to spread it out as buying everything in one go would put quite a dent in your wallet!

I know some people dont like buying things to early as they see it as bad luck etc, but i think at 28 weeks you have held out long enoguh!! (i dont know how you have resisted)
    Write a list of everything you need and start getting things every week or so. And as far as clothes go, the advice i got was-dont go overboard as that is mostly what people buy you as presents for the baby so once you have him/her you will prob have more clothes than the baby will ever get to wear. So I bought 4 outfits and 2 pairs of shoes-even though shoes are not necessary but they were too cute to resist. And on advice from friends who already have children i only got a couple of sleepsuits, vests etc in newborn size as apparantley they grow out of newborn almost immeadiatley so i got the rest in 0-3 months.

Best of luck with everything and enjoy your shopping :D

Advertisement