Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Box - Saorview?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi, I've decided to cancel my UPC as I'll be grand with Saorview but my damn apartment doesn't have an aerial connection from the roof into my apartment - unless i'm missing something which I probably am because it seems ridiculous as its a fairly new complex.

Now UPC installed their connection with a little box on my wall, I know their connection goes to the ground but is their anyway they could have placed the box over the roof aerial input? so its hidden or incorporated into it in anyway?

I don't know much about this sort of thing but I rarely watch anything other than RTÉ or TG4 so I just want Saorview, so if someone knows anything about this sort of thing I'd be grateful.

Thanks

P.S. I also have a Sky dish and box (minus the card) from the last tennant and that picks up some foreign channel's like bbcni, bet, sc4 but non of the Irish ones, so if theres any work around for that I'd like to know, thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jj build

Hi, did you try a indoor Aerial a lot of places will get a perfect reception with a saorview box and indoor Aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

jj build wrote: »
    Hi, did you try a indoor Aerial a lot of places will get a perfect reception with a saorview box and indoor Aerial.

No i didn't good plan! Thanks a mill

You should be getting all of these channels with your dish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭muineachan

Are they available all over Europe? I know someone who would like those for free.

muineachan wrote: »
    Are they available all over Europe? I know someone who would like those for free.
    Yes this will give you an idea http://homepage.ntlworld.com/de.sullivan/range.htm there are also many other foreign free satellites as well, astra 1,hotbird ,etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Hey guys

I got a new LG full hd tv there a few months ago that I'm sure said came with Saorview, What do i need to get this up an running?

Any help would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A decent aerial,if you pick up TV3 with an indoor aerial you're pretty much in business.Do a digital channel scan on the tv and see what it picks up.

Check the terrestrial forum,everything you need to know there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

jj build wrote: »
    You should be getting all of these channels with your dish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

But without a Sky Digibox and active BSkyB subscription you won't get the Irish terrestrial channels. The Irish terrestrial channels are not free-to-air on satellite, they are pay-TV channels encrypyted in VideoGuard, albeit provided with every Sky Digital subscription with an address in the Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chuckrea

So how did people get on with using rabbit ears and plugging directly into the Digital Tv??

There is only two approved set top boxes so far.. anyone know is there any cheaper ones that will work???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lads. In most big towns in Ireland a €2 Shop aerial ( unamplified) will work. Each of the main cities has a transmitter in town or above town. Unless you are on the ground floor in Leeson Street it should work, even then amplified rabbits ears should work perfectly.

If in an apartment in a village or down in a hole in Leixlip..maybe not. Support your €2 shop !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lads. In most big towns in Ireland a €2 Shop aerial ( unamplified) will work. Each of the main cities has a transmitter in town or above town. Unless you are on the ground floor in Leeson Street it should work, even then amplified rabbits ears should work perfectly.

If in an apartment in a village or down in a hole in Leixlip..maybe not. Support your €2 shop !!
    watty would very much disagree with this expectation, though my experience matches up with yours SB?:confused:

Unfortunately, two of the biggest three towns in Ireland would generally need more than an indoor aerial to pick up Saorview, namely Swords and Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Rubbish!

I'm in Deansgrange in the biggest town in the country, I'm in the shadow of the hill whose peak is the junction known as White's Cross where the N11 meets Leopardstown Road/Newtownpark Ave. Downstairs I cannot receive a decent analog or digital signal from an indoor UHF aerial pointing at Three Rock and I have tried three different aerials, not the crappy 'all in one' UHF/VHF aerials, these are decent UHF aerials.

The ironic thing is that a half-decent yagi on the roof pointing north can pickup Divis and Clermont Carn but an indoor aerial is no good so I'm on UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

coylemj wrote: »
    Rubbish!

I'm in Deansgrange in the biggest town in the country, I'm in the shadow of the hill whose peak is the junction known as White's Cross where the N11 meets Leopardstown Road/Newtownpark Ave. Downstairs I cannot receive a decent analog or digital signal from an indoor UHF aerial pointing at Three Rock and I have tried three different aerials, not the crappy 'all in one' UHF/VHF aerials, these are decent UHF aerials.

The ironic thing is that a half-decent yagi on the roof pointing north can pickup Divis and Clermont Carn but an indoor aerial is no good so I'm on UPC.

I am just down the road from you and got this internal aerial from DID. It is working great.

Advertisement