Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding bog ground

• 01-04-2011 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

hi all i have a few acres of bog ground that needs reseeding badly. Got it soil tseted and needs 4 ton lime acre low in P and K as well. Was going to reseed it shortly.want to Plough, Till level it(Seriously rough) and sow. I wonder what price is it per acre to do all dis and is there a need to spray it off when ploughing it. All advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Hi Case, I did a bit of reseeding bog ground myself a few years back and it was only a middling job after. there is special grass seeds for wetter ground that would be hardier grass but unless you drain it first, rushes etc will take over again after a while.

Anyway, defo spray regardless of what you are doing but be careful of ploughing. on wetter land, ploughing leaves the land less trafficable until it settles itself again after a few years. if you just rotavate and go at it with a land leveller and roller you prob will get it good enough. Rather have it a bit rough and can travel over it.
    For full reseed job, will cost round 180-200 an acre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Few articles on reseeding in the journal this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

would only spread 2 tonne/acre of lime to start . I would go with a grass seed mix specifically for heavy land ,it will form a better sod.
    Tubby is right about it being softer after ploughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

TUBBY wrote: »
    Hi Case, I did a bit of reseeding bog ground myself a few years back and it was only a middling job after. there is special grass seeds for wetter ground that would be hardier grass but unless you drain it first, rushes etc will take over again after a while.

Anyway, defo spray regardless of what you are doing but be careful of ploughing. on wetter land, ploughing leaves the land less trafficable until it settles itself again after a few years. if you just rotavate and go at it with a land leveller and roller you prob will get it good enough. Rather have it a bit rough and can travel over it.
    For full reseed job, will cost round 180-200 an acre.

Ye defo take a few year for it to settle after ploughing and would want to travel on it. Never though of rotataving it and then running a land leveller over it. Need to do it now hopefully weather pick up a bit to start spraying it off:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Definitely spray with round up BUT forget the rotavator!! My advice (been there done that) would be deep plough to 16-18 inches to break any soil pans and improve drainage.Then use only disc and chain harrows to get seed bed Only go with about half (or less)of the lime requirement as lime drives rushes bonkers.Spread your seed and fert and walk away----DO NOT roll until grass is well established and then only in good dry weather,(the rotavator would create another seal pan under it self like a steel trowel in fresh plaster.) Hope this is of use.. cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

We have 15 acres of bog land. We reseeded it ten or so years ago and will again this year. If we ploughed it down to 16" or 18" turf is all you'd bring up. The best of it is in the top 9". We are thinking of going down the stitching route after burning it off.

Advertisement