Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ash Animal Rescue

• 01-04-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Me and the missus paid a visit to Ash on Tuesday and all i can say is holy crap, they have 50 odd dogs living in the cottage with them and another 100 or so spread out around the place, there is some wonderful looking fellas up there and some real horror stories, they have an 8 year old st bernard who never lived inside and was only fed bread and water, she is a pure pet (somehow) would love to have taken her home with me, if anyone is looking for a basset hound there is about 15 of them all different shapes,sizes and colours in residence up there, gotta love the big floppy ears:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I've not been to Ash but seen them on TV3, I've been to other rescue centres and they're heartbreaking places, even though the dogs are well cared for, walked, fed, loved etc it's still so sad to see so many lovely dogs needing a home through no fault of their own, honestly people that run those shelters deserve medals for their tireless, thankless, never-ending work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

this was our first ever visit, we had been to the more publicised dspca and dogs trust but Ash are something else altogether, truely amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I was up with them before, it's crazy!! The animals come before everything else. EVERYTHING. Their lives revolve around their animals.

I wanted to take 2 rescues but they wouldn't approve me for adoption because I worked full time and had a long commute - even though my OH works from home half the week. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My Dad's dog of 15 years passed away recently and he took a visit to Ash shortly afterwards. He was raving about the place and, all going well, he'll be taking home a lovely Jack Russell!

I really couldn't believe my eyes walking around and seeing a little or not so little head popping around a corner every two seconds, some absolutely beautiful dogs up there, definitely worth the trip up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They are great up there, they also have cats.
    We called them looking for a cat that would be used to dogs and kids and other cats, told them a bit about us, then went to see them. They had quite a lot of cats but they picked one out for us and even though we saw loads, he was definitely the one for us, fitted in perfectly.
    He's been here 2 years now and is great.
    Remi also took one look at our 8 1/2 month old dog and guessed his age almost to the day (from 10 feet away, dog in open boot of the car) they really know about dogs.

i dont know how they do it, all they get off the dept of agriculture is €12000, some dedication, love dogs but dont think i could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ciarak7511

I think they might be able to rehome more animals if they actually publicised their rescue centres a bit better, people know about the dspca because they do this but there are hundreds of centres around Ireland noone knows about, I know it takes time and these people are all about the dogs but if they took time to market themselves a bit more people would visit them!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

ciarak7511 wrote: »
    I think they might be able to rehome more animals if they actually publicised their rescue centres a bit better, people know about the dspca because they do this but there are hundreds of centres around Ireland noone knows about, I know it takes time and these people are all about the dogs but if they took time to market themselves a bit more people would visit them!

Its a catch 22 situation, do you allocate very limited funds to marketing or to animals. I know Ash have a slot on TVAM on tv3 there are also other rescue centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The publicise plenty had collections tins all over the country which was not fair on local rescues. Not saying they don't do very good work but they don't always home check!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

2 large rescues that I have had experience with do not home check either! not saying that is right btw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

ciarak7511 wrote: »

The DSPCA get far more funding besides fundraising, for example they get something in the region of €100,000 in the Dept of Agriculture grant as apposed to the few grand other rescues get so of course they can afford massive publicity without funneling money away from the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

ASH have put out an appeal on Facebook for help this weekend for walking/cleaning/helping. They rarely do it, and they have said they are really stretched at the moment. So if anyone is around Wicklow...

www.ashanimalrescue.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement