Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone doing grade 6 trinity classical guitar soon?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone is doing the grade 6 exam soon. i am doing it myself in the middle of May and the pressure is on to have myself fully prepared. The pieces i am doing are Balletto by Ponce, Gavotte 2 Bach and Canco Del Lladre Catalan folk song arranged by M Llobet, also doing the technical suite with some scales n arrpeggios and i ll have to do the aural and sightreading although i dont know if i will be prepared for the sightreading, it looks hard on grade 6 level. any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Alice_G

Hi,
    I did my grade 6 in classical guitar a few years ago, but with trinity, and the only advice I can give you is stay relaxed, think about your scales and arpeggios before you play them, and with sight-reading made full use of the short time (about 30 seconds) that you are given before you are asked to play. Take note of the time and key signatures.
    Also with your pieces, especially the Bach piece, keep the timing strict and to the beat. Practice them with a metronome a few times beforehand.
    Other than that it's only practice and staying relaxed and chilled. Best of luck and hope this was some help!
    Alice

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Hi, if you get the chance then perform the pieces for family/friends before you sit the exam. Explain what you are doing and make it as formal as possible to replicate the exam pressure.
    Always better to play the scales/arpeggios accurately and clearly slowly, than messy and fast.
    Put new strings on a week before the exam to let them settle in and avoid tuning issues.
    Sight reading is practice, practice, practice.
    Above all................ enjoy it.
    Eph.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

thanks for all the great advice folks, i have my exam is a couple of days so heres hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Best of luck! Let us know how you got on! :)

thank you i will indeed, just have to be calm about it and not let the nerves take over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

robbie02 wrote: »
    thanks for all the great advice folks, i have my exam is a couple of days so heres hoping :)

Good luck and Enjoy.

Hi all, well i did my exam its was a scary day, was when the queen was visiting and when i got to Hueston i couldnt get a taxi, had to start walking to rathmines, which i didnt even know the direction :) i m a real bogger from Laois :) anyway eventually managed to get a taxi and got to my exam in the nick of time but was stressed out and waiting in the warm up room i didnt even know i cud play my guitar there, there was a few other younger kids there and they werent so i thought i cant! eejit that i am :) anyway so went into exam with no warm up, i wasnt too nervous, did make mistakes with the pieces but held it together, i did my scales and arpeggios and technical suite ok i thought, and the aural went well. sightreading which i could even attempt, its the one area i didnt prepare myself for (but i certainly will in future - its a skill i really want to be good at) so i didnt/ couldnt really attempt it it was 3/8 timing couldnt even count that (can now). anyway i felt very relieved to got through the exam without falling apart but had no idea how it went.......and so i got my result and i got 73/100 only 2 off a merit!!! i m absolutely delighted and i want to thank ye all for the advice, i really took it on board and it helped. So now i m on to grade 7 and am more determined than ever to get to grade 8 and maybe further study after that. its a lifelong dream for me to have some real music qualifications. thanks again for all your help folks:)

Advertisement