Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass degree

Options
  • 01-04-2011 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Is a pass degree worthless when attempting to get into post-grad courses. I'm just finishing Arts(History and Politics) in UCC and feel that I will probably get a pass degree, which isn't overly surprising considering how much I disliked the course. Will I be eligible for any post-grads or am I back to the point I was when I finished my Leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

It will be worth applying for courses that interest you (there's no point in giving up before trying). I have a friend who got a pass primary degree and is currently doing a Masters in Computer Science (conversion course), so stay optimistic!

Also, it should be possible to get into Graduate Diploma courses too without too much difficulty, but I might be mistaken on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I got accepted on to an MA program despite not fulfilling their requirements of 2:1 minimum. My work experience made up for it (3 years as translator/teacher).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Most universities offer postgraduate diplomas which accept lower-graded degrees. If you do well in them you can usually apply for the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭uniqueusername

I only had a pass degree, but I worked for 5 years, then applied for a DBS higher Diploma, they were ok with it (to be honest, I think they would be ok with most as long as you are paying them! No reflection on the course) and that course really helped me to get on my Masters in DCU, which I start this September :) A lot of masters have an interview too, so you can present yourself well in that too. Just be aware that on the PAC system I couldnt put in my H Dip, I had to download a form, print it off and send it to Galway, but sure the college got back to me before it would have arrived anyway. They argeed the PAC system was a pain in the backside for things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Got a 2.2 in the end anyways so I was worrying a bit prematurely! Nice one for the replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement