Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paddock sizes for dairy herd

• 01-04-2011 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I am currently farming sucklers but am plaaning to get into milk. myself and Old man was discussing over tea:D about the size of a paddock needed for 100 cows to graze for 24hrs as we at the min fencing the farm into paddocks and want to build them big enough for future. All advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

We had 2.25 acre paddocks when we had 70 cows - gone up to 100 cows and last year that was doing them 1 day and 1 night but it could be tight.

so we have taken up every second wire and now have 4.5 acre paddocks. This is on the original cow ground

However on the new ground we've given to the cows all we have done is put up a good wire around 2 10 acre blocks (so just by the ditch and roadway) and we will put up a flex wire when needs be. This way we can adapt the paddock size to the quantity of grass in it to allow better grazing.

So where on the original cow ground 2.25 acres might have been a bit tight we can up the area to 2.5, the little bit extra can make a massive difference.

So in summary if we were going again we wouldn't make any permanent paddocks (although moving the flex wire can be a pain of a job, we try to only do it twice a week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

case 956 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am currently farming sucklers but am plaaning to get into milk. myself and Old man was discussing over tea:D about the size of a paddock needed for 100 cows to graze for 24hrs as we at the min fencing the farm into paddocks and want to build them big enough for future. All advice appreciated

grass is measured in kg DM per hectare , 100 cows will eat 1800 kg dm per day without any meal , the optimum amount of grass on a paddock during a 20 day rotation is around 1300 - 1400 kg per hectare so the paddocks i reckon would need to be around three acres or perhaps a bit more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP, what size are existing fields?

I'd say somewhere between 3-4 acres is about right, extra entrances, and good roadways are more important than actual paddock size.

Too small is a pain in the ars* for cutting silage, spreading slurry/fertiliser. You need flexibility for the early and late grazing to do on off grazing and when you will be block grazing with a back fence. Try and lay out water troughs in a loop so that in hot weather the trough can be fed from both sides.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

Thanks all for repling. fields range in 7 acres to 10 acre in sizes with 1 field having 40 acres. the msg is have bout 3 acre paddocks bigger is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

case 956 wrote: »
    Thanks all for repling. fields range in 7 acres to 10 acre in sizes with 1 field having 40 acres. the msg is have bout 3 acre paddocks bigger is better.

i reckon as little paddocks as possible-invest in temporary fences with polywire where you change paddock sizes twice daily to reflect demand for grass and cover

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi OP I'd suggest dividing those 7-10 acre fields in half, put the strainers in 25m from the hedge, this way you can mow all round the field for silage and put the water trough in the middle of the field.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

thanks every1 for taking time out to reply and great tips there to be took on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

in keeping with some replies go for bigger(7 to8)and use use wire to subdivide,most the year only to move wire every second or third day if you bring it to the entrance and just move the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

My advisor, before he buggered off to NZ:mad:, said 30 cows/acre/day at 1800kg dm/ha. I am refencing my farm at the minute for about 90 cows and am aiming for 5 to 6 acre paddocks and 10 acre sections of silage fields.

Enjoy driving the stakes, tis good for conditioning for sports and knocking the last of the christmas dinner off:D

5live wrote: »
    My advisor, before he buggered off to NZ:mad:, said 30 cows/acre/day at 1800kg dm/ha. I am refencing my farm at the minute for about 90 cows and am aiming for 5 to 6 acre paddocks and 10 acre sections of silage fields.

Enjoy driving the stakes, tis good for conditioning for sports and knocking the last of the christmas dinner off:D

ha that y i hiring a lad with postdriver:D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭browned

i don't bother with permanent paddocks anymore as i found them too rigid, only permanent fence is on the boundary and the farm roadways. the farm is split up wit temperary strip wires, as i find it more flexable with spring grazing. the farm is completly area mapped so it allows me to split the farm into up to 84 paddocks all of which i know the area of. so for the first rotation i can give a paddock a day and know i won't run out of grass. as the year moves on the farm can be reduced to 42 and then 21 paddocks depending on wat grazing system i want to use, i.e day and night 3 grazings per paddock etc. its a bit of work moving the fences but i think its worth it with the flexability it brings

Advertisement