Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost when it comes to college choices.

• 01-04-2011 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

This is the best category I can see to put this so here it goes.
    I did the L.C. last year and decided to take a year out. I now have the CAO filled out, but I have no idea what to place as my first choice. What I've put down is pretty much a mix of arts courses and physics courses, with a course in law as well. I have 465 points, which should be enough for every course I applied for.
    I have a few problems however:

1. My parents want me to go to NUIG. NUIG would mean I could commute, I'd be nearer to home, and my parents hate the idea of me living far away, even more so the idea of me living far away in student accommodation with people I don't know. But NUIG isn't exactly where I'd like to be since the courses aren't exactly what I want. Going to Uni either way is going to put huge financial pressure on my parents, and I doubt that we’ll get the grant despite the fact we’re by no means well off. But going to DCU/NUIM/wherever else is going to be that much more expensive.
    2. There are so many things I'd like to study, but I have no idea which to pick. I don't have a particular subject I'm best at, I'm pretty much good at any academic subject I do. I’m not really fond of the work, but I genuinely like learning things, whether it’s physics or history. I’m finding it really difficult to single out something and say, “That’s what I want to do.” Any advice on how to pick what to study?
    3. Lastly, I don't know where some degrees will take me in the future or what masters I can do with certain subjects. I blame this on our career guidance (or lack thereof) last year which had to have been the least informative classes I have ever had to sit through in my life. They were of no help at all, and the teacher rarely bothered to show up for them. All the prospectus seem really vague to me when it comes to further education/employment opportunities. For instance what exactly can you do with Philosophy? And can you do a Masters in Theoretical/Mathematical Physics with a degree in Mathematics?

TL;DR-
    1. Pick the college I really want or go to NUIG for the sake of my parents’ bank and sanity?
    2. How the hell do I pick a subject?
    3. Can I do a Masters in Mathematical/Theoretical physics with a degree Mathematics, and where can I find clear info on future career prospects?

All help is appreciated immensely. I mean seriously, this is slowly driving me insane.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Have you thought about doing history (and something else) through distance learning with www.oscail.ie at DCU / NUIG. Or distance learning through the open university where you can study maths and other stuff. Distance learning can be cheaper but it doesn't suit everyone if you are not disciplined. You can become an external member of some college libraries to get access or borrow books.

Don't do a course for your parents' sake. It will be ~4 years of doing something you're not into. A course like mathematics and theoretical physics will require a lot of work. Totally enjoyable and doable if you're into it, but it you're not, it could turn into hell for you. You'll do better at a course you care about, a course where you want to be.

Also a note: Trinity does a theoretical physics course, (2009 points were 470 though) but if you're looking at it, be warned that Halls are far away and expensive, but NCI around the IFSC houses Trinity students for a cheaper price and it's within walking distance of the college. Most people who realise that during first year move there for second year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pumpkin.pie

pathway33 wrote: »
    Have you thought about doing history (and something else) through distance learning with www.oscail.ie at DCU / NUIG. Or distance learning through the open university where you can study maths and other stuff. Distance learning can be cheaper but it doesn't suit everyone if you are not disciplined. You can become an external member of some college libraries to get access or borrow books.

I hadn't considered that. I'm not disciplined at all though. I'm really lazy and I don't think I'd keep up with work if left to it like that.
    Don't do a course for your parents' sake. It will be ~4 years of doing something you're not into. A course like mathematics and theoretical physics will require a lot of work. Totally enjoyable and doable if you're into it, but it you're not, it could turn into hell for you. You'll do better at a course you care about, a course where you want to be.

Also a note: Trinity does a theoretical physics course, (2009 points were 470 though) but if you're looking at it, be warned that Halls are far away and expensive, but NCI around the IFSC houses Trinity students for a cheaper price and it's within walking distance of the college. Most people who realise that during first year move there for second year.

I've tried telling them that I don't know if the courses in NUIG are what I want, but my mum got all upset and my dad refused to even acknowledge the possibility of living in Dublin or Maynooth, and started going on about how difficult it would be to commute from to Dublin to Galway by train every single day. I really don't want to stress them out and have them worrying, but I don't want to settle for something that's not exactly what I want.
    I'm pretty good at maths and enjoy it, but since I didn't actually do LC physics I know the works gonna be really tough if I do that. I think I'd like to do the physics, but I'm worried it's not for me. Same as the likes of law. There are a lot of things I'd really like to do, but I just can't narrow it down to one that appeals to me the most and that I can be certain I'll enjoy.
    I'd looked at Trinity but the one of the entry requirements is b3 in physics which I didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

I've tried telling them that I don't know if the courses in NUIG are what I want, but my mum got all upset and my dad refused to even acknowledge the possibility of living in Dublin or Maynooth, and started going on about how difficult it would be to commute from to Dublin to Galway by train every single day. I really don't want to stress them out and have them worrying, but I don't want to settle for something that's not exactly what I want.
    I'm pretty good at maths and enjoy it, but since I didn't actually do LC physics I know the works gonna be really tough if I do that. I think I'd like to do the physics, but I'm worried it's not for me. Same as the likes of law. There are a lot of things I'd really like to do, but I just can't narrow it down to one that appeals to me the most and that I can be certain I'll enjoy.
    I'd looked at Trinity but the one of the entry requirements is b3 in physics which I didn't do.[/QUOTE]

hey man i no its a couple of weeks since this started but you should look at unniversity in scotland? im also doing the leaving cert and its tough choosing the course you think wuld suit you.

we had a talk a while back from the unniversity of edinburgh. it sounded really good and also im not sure exactly about this but irish students get free tuition. and english students dont! :P

but yeah you need to think about this seriously. you are not going to college for your parents and it is tough financially but everyone is feeling the pinch. you need to take responsibilty and get a job now as quickly as you can. 465 points is a brilliant leaving cert and id love to get that this year.but anyway a job will help you if you continue right through to summer. with also some money from your parents you could be fine?

also maybe a sudent loan could work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pumpkin.pie

hey man i no its a couple of weeks since this started but you should look at unniversity in scotland? im also doing the leaving cert and its tough choosing the course you think wuld suit you.

we had a talk a while back from the unniversity of edinburgh. it sounded really good and also im not sure exactly about this but irish students get free tuition. and english students dont! :P

but yeah you need to think about this seriously. you are not going to college for your parents and it is tough financially but everyone is feeling the pinch. you need to take responsibilty and get a job now as quickly as you can. 465 points is a brilliant leaving cert and id love to get that this year.but anyway a job will help you if you continue right through to summer. with also some money from your parents you could be fine?

also maybe a sudent loan could work out for you?

It's insanely difficult trying to pick something, I really have no idea what I'm doing. Oh, good luck in your leaving cert!

Aha you're going to love this- I'm English, so my tuition won't be paid. :P

I know I'm not going for them, but I don't want them ending up up to their eyes in debt or worrying about me. I've been job searching since October, no luck so far. I'm currently on the dole getting 40 quid a week which I'm desperately trying to save.

I'd never thought of a student loan. I'll have to look into that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It really sounds like your parents should let their bird out of the nest at this stage. Of course you still need them but this is also your chance to carve out your own future, not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

It's insanely difficult trying to pick something, I really have no idea what I'm doing. Oh, good luck in your leaving cert!

Aha you're going to love this- I'm English, so my tuition won't be paid. :P

I know I'm not going for them, but I don't want them ending up up to their eyes in debt or worrying about me. I've been job searching since October, no luck so far. I'm currently on the dole getting 40 quid a week which I'm desperately trying to save.

I'd never thought of a student loan. I'll have to look into that.

thanks for the luck!!:) thats sucks! well keep saving anyway pumpkin pie. but honestly i think your best option is a student loan. one of my friends is on a student loan ill ask him about it for you.

sorry for delay.

Advertisement