Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Ploughing Championships 2012 in New Ross

Options
  • 01-04-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0401/ploughing.html
    The National Ploughing Championships will be held in Co Wexford in 2012.
    This year's event will take place in Athy, Co Kildare, for the third year running. 2011 is the 80th anniversary of the Ploughing Association.
    This morning, Minister for Agriculture, Marine & Food Simon Coveney announced that the championships will be returning to Wexford in 2012 for the first time in 14 years.
    They will be held on a site at Heathpark, New Ross.
    Managing Director of the National Ploughing Association Anna May McHugh said the championships are one of the best showcases for agriculture and rural industry in western Europe.
    The National Ploughing Championships have an average attendance of 180,000 visitors and over 1,000 exhibitors.
    Mr Coveney described the championships as a celebration of all that is good about our most important indigenous industry.
    The minister said he believes that this industry has huge potential to contribute to economic growth, employment and exports and I intend to do my utmost to ensure this potential is realised.
    He is confident that if all stakeholders in the sector continue to work together embracing the positive spirit that led to the Food Harvest 2020 blueprint for the future development of the sector, it will add greatly to the overall revitalisation of the Irish economy.

Is this on mid Sept every year or does it change?
    Where is Heathpark in New Ross?

Should be good event to attend. I havent ever been to one before, but I have heard it is great day out.

- BFG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's been in Athy for the past 2 years,a good day out especially if the weather is good.Even if you're not into ploughing it's got plenty for everyone.
    It attracts massive crowds which will boost the local economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

This is great news , especially for New Ross area.

Afaik - Heathpark is just off the N25 - close to Ballinaboola .

I'll let Richie Kavanagh explain what its about :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwGvQKnU0EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Me thinks itsnear old Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

It's in ballinaboola, out the wexford road. Will be about 60 or 70000 there every day for 3 days. Usualy in the 3rd week of september.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

This is fantastic news for the area, the NPC is huge, the size of a small town.

I've been at a few in my OMAC role and it will bring in a massive amount to the local economy.

Wasn't in Athy last year but in '09 average attendance over the three days was around 50,000!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

it was actually announced last October, not sure why the media have picked up on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

bruschi wrote: »
    it was actually announced last October, not sure why the media have picked up on it now.

Probably because the official announcement was on Friday and only recently did the landowners know it was confirmed.

1966 wrote: »
    Me thinks itsnear old Ross

Just under 1km from Old Ross. Beside my house lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

This is a massive opportunity for the local traders to make hay while the sun shines .

Town Council MUST give free parking in New Ross for the 3 days too .

New Ross N25 will be gridlock for the 3 days . - we know that already .

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

Free parking !!:D - and the swimming pool might be built as well !!

• Advertisement

On 25th - 27th September expecting 200,000 visitors .

Looking forward to this .

Anyone with news on Irelands largest farming festival should post here :

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I merged both threads as the new thread updates the old thread.

I wonder if many local business took up this special offer :
    Following discussions with the local Chamber of Commerce a New Ross Business Arcade will be added to the trade arena. Twenty New Ross town businesses will be granted a special discounted rate of €500 for their stand in the Arcade (price excludes VAT or extras)

The traffic plan should work well too :
    Traffic from Ferrymountgarrett Bridge will turn left on the N30 and turn right at Corcoran's Cross to access the site, while traffic coming across O'Hanrahan Bridge will travel to Ballinaboola and turn left to access the site

A bit stranger though is that traffic from the N11 and N80 will be directed to Wexford town and up the N25 rather than simply cutting across on the N30.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Not really - they then come in the N25, rather than clashing with cross-country traffic coming up the N30 from KK, WD, etc.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Not really - they then come in the N25, rather than clashing with cross-country traffic coming up the N30 from KK, WD, etc.

The traffic from Enniscorthy on the N30 if they used it would come nowhere near the turnoff that traffic from KK will use and there are designated carparks on that access road as well.
    Waterford traffic is coming out the N25 turning at Ballinaboola.

405471_465996630086413_587446812_n.jpg

The site works are well underway now and the metal roads are being constructed since the beginning of the week.

There is still an accommodation shortfall though, with people (guests and exhibitors) being directed towards Kilkenny and further afield so if anyone is willing to provide B&B/rent a spare room then they could benefit from this still by contacting the NPA or the New Ross tourist office.

bkehoe wrote: »
    The site works are well underway now and the metal roads are being constructed since the beginning of the week.

There is still an accommodation shortfall though, with people (guests and exhibitors) being directed towards Kilkenny and further afield so if anyone is willing to provide B&B/rent a spare room then they could benefit from this still by contacting the NPA or the New Ross tourist office.

Plenty of empty properties in New Ross,maybe the owners could consider a short term plan for those looking for somewhere to stay.

According to the local press all outdoor stand spaces were sold out & only limited space for indoor exhibits left at the site.Crowds are expected to exceed last years 200,000 attendance.

zerks wrote: »
    Plenty of empty properties in New Ross,maybe the owners could consider a short term plan for those looking for somewhere to stay.

The closer the better, especially for the workers who will be manning the exhibition. I know of several people who've rented their houses out for the week and a few who've rented out for a month and are earning a very respectable amount. One person even finished off his garage attic conversion to get 2 people in. There's money out there to be put into the local economy but people don't seem to realise they could earn some of it too. If you have a spare room then you could earn 25 - 30 euro a night from it and the person will only be in there for 6 hours a day! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just under 1km from Old Ross. Beside my house lol ;)

Yay ! All in to BK's for the dinner !

The site is ready :
    100_4222.jpg

100_4221.jpg

100_4229.jpg

When you see these signposts , you are 200 yards away from the entrance gates .

The locals best get used to meeting strangers ..............A farmer got down off his tractor today and came over to me , for one reason only ............to check me out :)

Write up in this weeks local papers,commuters warned to avoid New Ross in the mornings (don't know how they're going to do that? )

If we get weather like we are having now it'll be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭oldhead

can someone tell me how far it is from kilkenny to the ploughing. im waiting there and for some reason i cannot get an answer any where on the net, many thanks and if anyone knows the quickiest route fromm kilkenny to ploughing
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

See here for routes. Kilkenny castle to the ploughing site at Heathpark is about 30 miles using Google maps.

Its usually a 45 min - 1 hour drive from here to Kilkenny on an average day as the road is quite poor with few overtaking opportunities and a plentiful supply of 30mph drivers and tractors. Probably take longer during the ploughing due to traffic.

Progress is moving on rapidly on the site. From this day last week when we had the press launch and the only pavilion on site was the NPA, today there are now numerous tents dotted around the site.

See the attached picture to see how it looked this afternoon.

Less than 2 weeks to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Progress is moving on rapidly on the site. From this day last week when we had the press launch and the only pavilion on site was the NPA, today there are now numerous tents dotted around the site.

See the attached picture to see how it looked this afternoon.

Less than 2 weeks to go now!

Super photo.

Who took it?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Super photo.

Who took it?

I did. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

I'm going to this event this week. I don't have much interest in farming as such, but would like to know if there are any trade stands there that cover my other interests : fishing, shooting & cycling?

Advertisement