Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Ploughing Championships 2012 in New Ross

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

There are literally 100s of retail stands at the Ploughing championships. If you buy the farmer's journal the supplement in it has a complete list of exhibitors and a detailed map of their layout.
    There will be stands with fishing and shooting gear, I'm not sure about cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clo001

hi i am wondering if any locals cud tell me best possible way to newross for ploughin from cork/lim side please

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The N25 all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

clo001 wrote: »
    hi i am wondering if any locals cud tell me best possible way to newross for ploughin from cork/lim side please

Welcome to boards

Map of routes and more info here -

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=9836

Oh PS - there is already a thread started on the National Ploughing Championships ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clo001

thanks a million!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 bannowgal

When you are at the ploughing match and find you need a toilet the arrows pointing to Toilets will not help you much.
    I was at the event yesterday and can say that when you follow the arrow pointer signs they give no indication of how far you have to go.
    You will find you are going around in circles to find one. You know they are there somewhere. The organisers should have one of those big baloons floating 200ft up indicating where each toilet is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I have to say that the traffic situation is nothing short of an unmitigated disaster. Not the site itself but the access routes. Backed way back onto the Waterford bypass the last two mornings. Not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Was there yesterday. Drove by M9/Carlow route, followed the signs, no delays.

Had to get a push to get the car out at the end of the day, but other than that it was better than I expected.

The N25 has been a huge problem. Stuck at Slieverue not moving for 25 mins. Turned and came to the ferry and it's backed up almost to the Dunmore road. Don't know if I'll get there at all. Unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

after slieverue there is a turn on the right for RATHINURE follow that road it'll cut out 10kms of traffic delays to new ross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

after slieverue there is a turn on the right for RATHINURE follow that road it'll cut out 10kms of traffic delays to new ross

Have used that road myself during roadworks on the main road,very handy to skip the traffic jams.For anyone not familiar,it brings you out on the N25 just 2km outside New Ross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

zerks wrote: »
    Have used that road myself during roadworks on the main road,very handy to skip the traffic jams.For anyone not familiar,it brings you out on the N25 just 2km outside New Ross.
    not many are in the know on that one, bet the road will be busy tomorrow lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The big problem is traffic that should have come off the motorway continued on towards Waterford and it's not helping!!

Heard that alright. It's a pity because it really messed up an otherwise excellent event. If I'd driven from Kerry only to get advised to turn back at mid day in Slieverue I'd be well 'annoyed'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The Gardaí were blaming the hold-ups on the N25 on motorists continuing all the way down the M9 and taking the northern part of the Waterford bypass.

I think this is B.S. to be honest. Normal commuter traffic in the evenings is enough to cause 2-3 km tailbacks into New Ross from the Waterford side, so even if nobody from the Midlands or Dublin area took this route, there would still be wicked traffic. Remember that this is the officially sanctioned route for all of Munster to the ploughing championships.

Roll on the New Ross bypass. Howlin took some unfair stick from certain quarters when it was announced that this was back on the cards, just because it's in his constituency. But everyone in the south-east knows that Ross is one of the worst bottlenecks on the national road network. It just seems that even someone as eminent as Colm McCarthy doesn't realise this, probably because it's not on the way from Dublin to anywhere else:
    Another project which has been accelerated is the by-pass around New Ross, also in Co Wexford, and the extension northwards from Gort of the Western motorway towards Tuam. These sections are not experiencing serious congestion either.

:eek::confused:

Source here.

2 hours to get from Ballinaboola to New Ross..........I flipping hope it's not back there next year........

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

people are driving too slow for no reason thats what causes most of the problems, i drove out today to the match and the line of traffic was travelling at 30mph on the main ross to wexford road the whole way out and there was absolutly no need for it. And the the overtaking lane on begerin hill was not being used and for what reason i dont know!!! I was able to travel it the whole way to the top and pass well over a hundred vehicles and pull back in safely at the top and not one other car i could see at the time did the same, they rather stay behind at 30mph and add more to the jam!!! Then co ing back in it was the same, so much so that the gardai directing traffic through the town were quite irate and were beckoning and shouthing at drivers to speed up

No delays on the N30 approaching from Enniscorthy,only slow moving traffic was when we turned off for the site just outside Clonroche.
    A few exhibitors were unhappy with the location,the narrow roads around the site aren't suitable for the large vehicles transporting machinery etc.

Special mention has to go to the teenagers mud wrestling at the food court & the ones who held a 'rolling in the mud competition'.I know some people disapproved but it was funny to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

zerks wrote: »
    No delays on the N30 approaching from Enniscorthy,only slow moving traffic was when we turned off for the site just outside Clonroche.
    A few exhibitors were unhappy with the location,the narrow roads around the site aren't suitable for the large vehicles transporting machinery etc.

Special mention has to go to the teenagers mud wrestling at the food court & the ones who held a 'rolling in the mud competition'.I know some people disapproved but it was funny to see.

Ha ! Saw a rake of them on the news last night - love to see the mother's face when they get home !

Someone tell them it's not Glasto !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 weddingcar.ie

2 hours to get from Ballinaboola to New Ross..........I flipping hope it's not back there next year........

Well I hope it is back next year its great for the county and brings in a lot for the local economy. Depending what time people traveled the traffic was bad in spots. I drove to New Ross yesterday morning at 9am and the traffic was moving very well I did hear last night and even today was bad but that's what happens when 70k people are travelling.
    Its a small problem for such a huge return for Wexford

I know it is but I spent 17 hours in the car getting to Wexford and back from Waterford over the three days. Tried a number of routes including the ferry. That's not good enough. If they could have sorted that it would have left a much better impression.

The N25 was very very badly managed. It's a pity because I think the traffic chaos is probably the death knell for having it there next year.

CopyofDSCN5521.jpg

Copyof100_2382.jpg

Copyof100_2383.jpg

100_2413.jpg

Copyof100_2430.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

The traffic coming back into town in the evenings was moving exceptionally slowly, with large gaps. I was out running all 3 evenings and at one stage I was jogging down the N25, not at all quickly (<12km/hr) and I was keeping up with the traffic for the most part and for the most part there were 15-20 car lengths between each vehicle. Multiply that by all the cars in the queue and the tailbacks could have been a lot shorter.

That said, I can't imagine it will be back before we've a bypass in NR. And TBH I'm not convinced that the local economy benefitted hugely, other than accommodation & food/drink. After sitting in traffic for hours, I'm not sure many people decided to stop & shop on their way to or from the venue but I wouldn't count on it being huge.

What else would you expect to happen .................30,000 vehicles heading to the same location in a space of 3 hours .

30,000 vehicles exiting the same location in the space of 2 hours .

Have a look at this from a poster in Kilkenny 2008 :
    Had to drive to Dublin on Thursday night, took me an hour and 30min to get past Kilkenny, something that normally takes 10-15min...fun fun

Source :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055384142&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I think that in spite of the delays in New Ross, most would consider the event to be a great success and most in the local area were very proud of the nationwide attention drawn to the area. The fact that almost 190,000 people got there shows that despite the delays the roads were capable of getting everyone who wanted to attend to the site. I think the traffic went a lot better on day 3 so the Garda obviously managed to get it sorted by then. I think what everyone needs to remember is that wherever the Ploughing is held, there are always people held up for significant periods of time in traffic and those wise to that will leave early. I heard from people who came through New Ross at around 8 on day 2 who only had a 10 min delay for example. I drove down to Waterford at 11am on day 3 and there was no traffic at all coming over the bridge.

Here are 2 videos of the site on Thursday which help show just how big of an area it was covering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqDc4SHfnOI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXHmwMlYho8

Lots of people did not see it as a success though:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056766374&pp=15&page=1

I agree with a lot of what's in the thread. The site was completely unsuitable unfortunately.

If they could sort the traffic issues it might have a chance of coming back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

well for new ross alone it definitly didnt bring in any extra money that i could see, the town was completely dead the 3 days of the ploughing apart from the traffic passing through, id say the biggest reason being that people stuck in traffic for so long couldnt be arsed stopping off and getting delayed even longer trying to get back into the flow!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

germanator wrote: »
    well for new ross alone it definitly didnt bring in any extra money that i could see, the town was completely dead the 3 days of the ploughing apart from the traffic passing through, id say the biggest reason being that people stuck in traffic for so long couldnt be arsed stopping off and getting delayed even longer trying to get back into the flow!

any business with any sense would have set up a stall in the New Ross business tent at the ploughing match. Plenty of local businesses did extremely well out of it by being at the event and got a lot of contacts and interest in their products and services. The town itself may have been dead, but the businesses who were proactive will have done very well for themselves out of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement