Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permacrop 2 -Asparagus and companions

Options
  • 01-04-2011 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Just put in asparagus crowns at the end of a new permacrop bed.
    Bed dug down to rock, soil put aside.

Then pulled the rocks from the soil and use that as the trench base, piled in seaweed (asparagus is a coastal plant) then in with the sieved soil.
    When I say piled in seaweed and manure, I ain't joking.
    2 heaped barrows of seaweed and another of well rotted farm manure
    weedanddung.jpg

Put the crowns down, 10 in total.

Used parsley as a companion plant as it is said it repells asparagus beetles.

Will probably add tomatillos later in the year, lets hope it takes :)

aspar2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭letsallgotothe

Dont mean to hijack this thread but I recently planted down some asparagus ariane myself. The plants i have are 1 year old with one spike growing on each plant- What am i suppose to do this this-kill it off or let it die down naturally? i seem to recall reading that your supposed to leave the plants till year 2 before harvesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

leave the fern to grow and dieback (usually till about november), then the dead fern can be cut off...usually you would not harvest from a crown until at least year 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

From what I have read, you cut back the ferns later in the year, then just add more topsoil to cover the crowns, year after year

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I have just harvested my first Aspargas spears, the crowns have been in the ground for two years, I plan on picking them for 6 weeks and then stop. Last year I cut back foliage in November, weeded and manured the bed. I have around 20 crowns. So looking forward to next few weeks.

Advertisement