Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths Pilot Schools

• 01-04-2011 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Did everyone else in the pilot schools get your letter from SEC about the Leaving Cert. Or get one from your school for your parents?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Isn't this just a dumbing down of LC maths though? All I hear in the papers every june is how a silly number of people fail Ordinary level maths every August.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ciarashauna

It's only been examined once so far, and that was only Pap 2. I'm pretty sure Project Maths candidates did better aswell, although I think this is purely due to the fact the Dept "looked after them". It's not a dumbing down, it's actually quite a challenging course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

It's only been examined once so far, and that was only Pap 2. I'm pretty sure Project Maths candidates did better aswell, although I think this is purely due to the fact the Dept "looked after them". It's not a dumbing down, it's actually quite a challenging course.

Coventional wisdom tells me otherwise. Besides, if it isn't as hard as the last course, does that not qualify as "dumbing down"? Isn't that the actual aim - Too many people failing LC maths.

I never said it wasn't as hard. The aim of Project Maths is to, as far as I can see, is to make maths more real-life and stop rote learning. TBH though it's not really working at all, at least for us in pilot schools, that's judging on mock results. There may be a different story in August though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I compared a Project Maths HL paper with a current HL paper. It's obviously easier. Not necessarily easy, but much easier to get on in.

• Advertisement

Which paper was it out of curiousty? Yeah I agree the paper looks so much less daunting etc. but it is very hard to get marks unlike the normal paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It was the 2010 Paper 2 HL I think. I wouldn't say it's easy but parts of it were laughable if you knew what you were doing, i.e drawing an incircle in a triangle, that's JC Maths stuff. I suppose it's easier to pass but a bit harder to hit the A.

Seems way more focused on statistics and probability.

Yeah there is a huge gap of difficulity between certain sections of the paper. The mock paper we got from the Project Maths 'team' contained so much stats. & prob. We have been told to basically ignore that mock paper though as it was too tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Naikon wrote: »
    Conventional wisdom tells me otherwise.

Conventional wisdom, eh? That proves it, then, beyond a shadow of a doubt.
    ;)

Advertisement