Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LONG HAIRED HAMSTER

• 01-04-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi.Just wondering if anyone knows where I would get a long haired hamster in co.Kildare.Have gone to all the pet shops but they only have short haired.I don't like rodents as a rule,but kids have 1 in school and because its very furry and doesn't look like a mouse I can cope with it.Have everything for it but just can't find one,kids are driving me mad.Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Mabey the school might be able to tell you but do be careful when buying from some pet shops anyway, many often get the sex wrong and some don't even know where the animals have come from.
    Long haired Syrians need loads of space so cage needs to be huge, a new soft toothbrush makes a great hairbrush for them. They can be nippy though depending on how well they are handled and their general mood.
    They are also nocturnal and will keep you awake on their wheel at night and shoudln't be disturbed during the day, althoug they will wake now and then to eat.
    Mabey put a note on irishanimals.ie or petsireland under the homes offered section just in case there's anyone out there that has on looking for a home.
    Sometimes people get them and the kids loose interest after 5 minutes so there are sometimes young hammies looking for homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Thanks Sigma Force. The teacher's hamster came from a parent who bought one and got a huge surprise when she found 6 babies one morning. I will definately give those sights a go. There will be no worries of it not being handled,the kids love them:)
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭lip

Finally got a Syrian long haired hamster yesterday from a reputable pet shop,the owner breeds them. He is 7 weeks old and very lively.
    He has set up a nest in the tubes and brought some food up to store. I presume this is normal as he must feel safer there,but should I encourage him to nest in the little house or in a corner of the cage,as the tubes are meant for exercise? I didn't want to move him last night as I think its recommended to leave them alone for their first day or two before handling them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dublingal20

Hope your new hamster is doing well :)
    Probably a little late but leave him in the tube as hamsters are burrowing animals they feel safer in small spaces! My Sabrina sleeps in her tubes all the time and has in complete stuffed with bedding and food.. When he's ready to play/exercise trust me he'll let you know. :P

Advertisement