Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

search.boards.ie Feedback - phase 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

28064212 wrote: »
    Odd. Try in a different browser maybe? And try logged in and logged out.

Did the same search logged out, same problem - 20,966,548 results (1.594 seconds).

I've always used IE as my browser and am happy with it, won't be changing just to get the new advanced search working. The vBulletin search works fine in IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The Cush wrote: »
    Did the same search logged out, same problem - 20,966,548 results (1.594 seconds).

I've always used IE as my browser and am happy with it, won't be changing just to get the new advanced search working. The vBulletin search works fine in IE.
    Oh yeah, just saying to test it in another browser to narrow down the problem

IE sucks :pac:

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You can use the old one, there's a link at the bottom of the new search page to use the old vBulletin search.

Also, if you right click on the "search" link in the toolbar (between New Posts and Quick Links), and click "open in new tab" it opens up the old search for some reason!

Thank you.

I'll give that a try in a few minutes because I've all but given up trying to use the new search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

My feedback is that the old search function worked absolutely fine - the new one is total ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Morlar wrote: »
    My feedback is that the old search function worked absolutely fine - the new one is total ****e.

Don't be afraid to tell us what you really think. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Boards seems to have the sh1ts tonite ,is this because of the search engine ?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Dav wrote: »

--LOS--:
    - I wish you could search for newest first without the indentation and grouping of posts in the same forum, it makes it so much less clear the way it is now
    * So you would prefer to be able to see a list of your last posts in exact chronological order rather than based on the threads you posted in? The My Threads functionallity already covers this.

Just on this note - I passed 10k posts recently and for the craic I wanted to see what such a 'milestone' turned out to be.

Using MyThreads doesn't allow me to do this, the new search catagorises posts by thread so I can't figure it from there either. The old search would show them in exact chronological order and would be simple for me to count back the 60 odd posts to find it.

It's a pointless excercise I admit but a clear example where the new search displaying 'newest first' isn't really the case given the by-thread sorting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hi folks

This afternoon in search we launched/changed/improved:

Sorting:

If you switch to "newest first" when searching, your default searches will be "newest first" thereafter. This is set in your browser.

Results:

Thread titles are now included in all search results.

You now have the option to select "show more" from the list on the left which lets you narrow down searches to a specific forum.
    Previous/Next links now have better spacing.

Advanced search:

There is now an "auto complete" instead of the long list for forum searching. Multiple forums can be selected.

The same functionality has been added to the username selection.

Autosuggest:

We're experimenting with a new feature that works something like Google's "auto suggest" - giving hints as you type in your query.

Thanks

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Darragh wrote: »
    If you switch to "newest first" when searching, your default searches will be "newest first" thereafter. This is set in your browser.

Excellent.

Far better that way.
    There is now an "auto complete" instead of the long list for forum searching. Multiple forums can be selected.

Superb, much more user friendly, was a nightmare to use the way it was.

Only thing for me now is the vanity search issue as it would be nice be able to check when I've been quoted. Otherwise though, all changes much appreciated, by all I'm sure.

Is there any chance I can immediately see me posts in find posts?

Seems to take ages for post to appear in "Find all posts by Hank_Jones" that are recent.

I don't want to spend my time scrolling down through a thread I have posted a few times in.

Sorry if this has been mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Thread titles are a huge improvement. Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It won't return any results for anything in TCN. Not switched on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Sarky wrote: »
    It won't return any results for anything in TCN. Not switched on?

- Is this able to search forums like tCN where there is no postcount? the old search wasn't able to, i think
    • tCN is not a searchable forum. Because we were getting skewed results, we have excluded some forums and any that were previously not indexed, remain so (Personal/Relationship Issues for example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That does make things awkward. And possibly more interesting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Results:

Very nice.
    Advanced search:

The same functionality has been added to the username selection.

Excellent. One small thing I would suggest, for new users it can be hard to understand what exact forum they need for big forums such as Films, Television and Soccer.

Example 1: I want to search the soccer forumm, I type in Soccer and I get a choice fo Sports > Soccer, Soccer>Soccer and a couple of others with Soccer in the name.

Example 2: Film. I get the choice of Arts> Films, Films>Films and a few other Film related forums.

Example 3: Television - choice between Arts>Television and Television>Television

Even I can't quite figure out why some forums are classed as sub-forums of other forums with the same name although I know they are and where to look in the above cases. I fear newer users will be lost.

If possible, remove forums (eg. Arts>Films) from the list if they can't contain posts directly in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Couple of questions that might be better to add here rather than create a new thread(i've read through the thread but excuse me if iv accidently skimmed over the answer):

When i search & click on the thread title in the results its sends me to some random post deep within the thread rather than to the start of the thread? Kinda annoying to keep having to go back to the start. Anyway to go straight to the begin of a thread from the search results?

- Search for all threads I have posted on and see what has had new posts (and which are most recently updated) since I was last on boards - I use advanced search, enter my username in author and select show results by threads. I cannot get this information from the new search
    • You can't do this through the new search however this functionality exists with the site by visiting "My Threads" in your User Control Panel. You can click the “Follow Thread” button to add a thread you have not posted in to your “My Threads” list.

Will ye be keeping access to the old search so ill still be able to do the above without doing the messy sounding My Threads thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Would it be possible to add a feature where you can see which threads you've posted in directly from the search results? with the old vB search there was the little arrow on the envelope icon.

Am I doing something wrong or is it (still) impossible to find
    All threads started by poster X on forum Y ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I noticed the the search was changed but I thought it was a mistake waiting to be fixed! I didn't thinks that it was purposely borked by development. I meant to start on a new thread wondering when it will be fixed. I found the google results to be very good and I have been going to google to search threads in boards.ie since the big change because the search on the site worked so bad.

I'm getting results back from 9 years ago when I was looking for an up to date topic. Results are all over the place. Best of luck with the development but when there was an excellent search available why try to invent the wheel.

Anyway to have 2 options, Googles and Boards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The old search was the vbulletin built in search and wasn't created to deal with the massive data base board.ie has become. It had gotten to the stage that the size of the database and the number of people using that old search at peak times could have made the site fall over, resulting in a fair chunk of down time each time it happened.

So a new search function had to be created from scratch which would not cripple the database, yes personally I got to say I think the functionality suck compared to the old search and it's doesn't return info in the same way, but it seems the options were having the site fall over frequently or no search at all or having to write a new search.

Hopefully the new search can be tweaked and more of the type functionality which people have gotten used to can be added into it over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Sharrow wrote: »
    The old search was the vbulletin built in search and wasn't created to deal with the massive data base board.ie has become.

I was under the impression that the old vbulletin built in search was gone a long time and was replaced with the Google search and now we are using the new search.

Dymo wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the old vbulletin built in search was gone a long time and was replaced with the Google search and now we are using the new search.

You can still use the old search (for the time being at least).

Just right click on the 'search' at the top of each page when selecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

OutlawPete wrote: »
    You can still use the old search (for the time being at least).

Just right click on the 'search' at the top of each page when selecting it.

It's also currently the only way of doing a vanity search and finding posts where you may have been quoted.

This is incorrect, you can easily find posts where you have been quoted simply by putting your username in quotes into the search.

http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=%22OutlawPete%22

Ross wrote: »
    This is incorrect, you can easily find posts where you have been quoted simply by putting your username in quotes into the search.

Apologies, wasn't aware that the addition of quotation marks would do that.

Nice one, cheers .. will edit my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I really miss old search being the default. I know why it had to change but honestly, just cannot bring myself to like the new version.

Ross wrote: »

Ross, is there any workaround to the problem of trying to find e.g. "that thread I started on feedback on the new search fuction" without knowing the title?

BTW, that's just an example; there is no such actual thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Not in Feedback, The Cuckoo's Nest, etc, but that will likely be changing soon.

Wish I was able to find my post in All Posts By soon after I post them.

With the old search they showed up immediately, but now I'm waiting 15 minutes+.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

The new search pulls from a mirror copy of the live data base and that's the update window. This way we don't have the 3am back up and won't loose a days post and the live database doesn't get slowed down with search requests, but the down side is there is a lag, but it's that that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Strange thing just happened!

Someone mentioned something about a recent post of mine. I wanted to check what I'd been posting recently, so I clicked onto my account and went to "Find all posts by chatterpillar". Was pretty shocked when the search displayed that I'd posted in the Parenting forum the following:
    Your looking men who will give handjobs to guys with the runs?
    I have attached a screenshot just in case this isn't showing up when other people look!

When I clicked into the post, it was an innocent comment in response to another poster:
    Eva is 44 and Eabha is 55
    OK, I know it's kind of amusing. But, to be honest, I find it extremely worrying that something like this could happen? I mean, say if my employers or family or something were to see that? How would errors like this happen?

Advertisement