Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

search.boards.ie Feedback - phase 2

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

By the way, I tried searching using the old search function, and it came up as what I'd actually posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Strange thing just happened!

Someone mentioned something about a recent post of mine. I wanted to check what I'd been posting recently, so I clicked onto my account and went to "Find all posts by chatterpillar". Was pretty shocked when the search displayed that I'd posted in the Parenting forum the following:

I have attached a screenshot just in case this isn't showing up when other people look!

When I clicked into the post, it was an innocent comment in response to another poster:

OK, I know it's kind of amusing. But, to be honest, I find it extremely worrying that something like this could happen? I mean, say if my employers or family or something were to see that? How would errors like this happen?

Maybe the new search reports what your subconscious would have posted if given the chance?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Search is returning the contents of unapproved anonymous posts along with the name of the actual last poster, I think. That needs fixing!

That hilariously gross image is embedded in my brain now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Think it's a case of posts getting crosswired accidentally - import fluffed on some posts with strange characters.

Should be sorted by this evening, in the mean time your particular post should get fixed in a little while!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

In terms of moderation, the new search wont allow me to select posts that I find in a search and operate the moderator functions on them like Delete and Merge. The old search had this, and it made life so much easier. Likewise for Search by Thread.

Also, can the drop down menus etc. work instead of doing nothing?

Sorry if this came up already, must have missed it.

• Advertisement

Getting null results where this shouldn't be happening. e.g. if I search the Reported Posts forum for posts by a certain user I always get a null result. It's similar in some other areas searching for a user.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Is the new search playing a part in the new general slowness of Boards?

It seems like on and off for the last ~two months, maybe more things just don't work right. Pages don't load, thanks don't register, replies get double-posted or not at all.

What is going on?

(not a rant in case it reads that way)

and http://wiki.boards.ie/ doesn't work now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

nesf wrote: »
    Getting null results where this shouldn't be happening. e.g. if I search the Reported Posts forum for posts by a certain user I always get a null result. It's similar in some other areas searching for a user.
    Reported Posts is among several forums that was deliberately left out of the new search. Use the old search for this instead.

Reported Posts is among several forums that was deliberately left out of the new search. Use the old search for this instead.

Eh, that's a hassle.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Is the new search playing a part in the new general slowness of Boards?

It seems like on and off for the last ~two months, maybe more things just don't work right. Pages don't load, thanks don't register, replies get double-posted or not at all.

What is going on?

(not a rant in case it reads that way)

and http://wiki.boards.ie/ doesn't work now.

Actually no, it's the old search that's responsible for some of the performance issues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Would it be possible that the menu bar on the search page to function in the same way to the menu bar on the beta theme?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Just one slight issue I noticed...

if I search for threads started by **Timbuk2** or "**Timbuk2**" or Timbuk2, it doesn't work, it displays lots of threads, not started by me.

I'm guessing this is because of the asterisks, which may function as a wildcard, thus confusing the system. Ideally, I wouldn't have put asterisks in my username, but I was 13 at the time.

I'm not sure if there's any solution other than removing asterisks from any usernames that have them in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Guys, couldn't find another thread for this.

Two things in one really;

I generally use the "Find all posts by seamus" link to see if there are any new replies to threads I've posted in. Now, I know I could use the "follow thread" function and tell it automatically follow all threads, but I use that for important threads, so the little icon will flash at me when there's a reply in them. But sometimes I'm just curious to see if there are any new responses to those threads, I don't want the icon to blink at me all the time.
    Any chance of the new search showing whether or not there are new replies in the thread since I last read it? I understand the details behind it, so I'm guessing not, but maybe it's something you're working on.... :)

More practically, I don't understand what the "Replies" under each post mean:
    172885.JPG

Does this mean that there are 26 replies before my latest one? It reads like there are 26 replies to my post. :)

In some cases, I've seen different view numbers for the same thread:
    172887.JPG
    Is this a sync issue or does that mean the number of views for my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

seamus wrote: »
    Does this mean that there are 26 replies before my latest one? It reads like there are 26 replies to my post. :)

Yeah, it means there are 26 replies to the thread up to the point you posted, including your one.
    Is this a sync issue or does that mean the number of views for my post?

I can't answer your second question, as I don't know what a boffer is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Just one slight issue I noticed...

if I search for threads started by **Timbuk2** or "**Timbuk2**" or Timbuk2, it doesn't work, it displays lots of threads, not started by me.

I'm guessing this is because of the asterisks, which may function as a wildcard, thus confusing the system. Ideally, I wouldn't have put asterisks in my username, but I was 13 at the time.

I'm not sure if there's any solution other than removing asterisks from any usernames that have them in it.

Bug in the jQuery plugin we use for the autocomplete stuff - I've patched it now, should be working (might need a refresh).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ross wrote: »
    Bug in the jQuery plugin we use for the autocomplete stuff - I've patched it now, should be working (might need a refresh).

Yes it appears to be working fine now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I haven't read the whole thread, but just a quick clarification
    Search for all threads I have posted on and see what has had new posts (and which are most recently updated) since I was last on boards - I use advanced search, enter my username in author and select show results by threads. I cannot get this information from the new search

This means in the new search there is no way to see if threads have new posts (akin to the open and filled envelope in the old search) correct?
    But if I subscribe to threads this can be seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yea, the Follow Thread/Forum functionallity is there for exactly this purpose and appears in your User Control Panel, that's not what Search is for - it just so happens that people have been using it that way - maybe we haven't publicised it enough :) But you will, by default, Follow any thread you post in, so it's far quicker to just look at your Followed threads and catch up that way. You can edit the options for this in User Control Panel - Edit Options.

Advertisement