Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is getting a sponsor an illusion?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

i've been thinking to move to the US for ages now, I know what a H1b visa is, I've joined the green card lottery many times etc.. but it seems that the only effective way to do that (i'm 37 yo) is to look for a sponsorship.
    I have a lot of IT experience (10 years) both as analyst and project manager, so I think I have enough skills but when it comes to how to get the sponsor i'm basically clueless. :confused:
    Should I move to the US and look for a job while I'm there? or is there an easy way to do it while i'm in Ireland?
    It seems pretty hard to find someone who has succeded doing this, most of the people moving there are students (j1) or had a relocation within their company so i really wonder if I'm just illuding myself and should put my "american dream" away...:(
    any suggestion (or successfull story) is really appreciated, tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Right now it would be very difficult, because unemployment over here is high, so firms are reluctant to hire foreign workers, even if they could get a visa. Your best bet is to keep on top of the job search- monster is good for US jobs, but also regularly check the company websites of firms you would like to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Sponsorship is a pretty expensive prospect for employers, especially when there are so many qualified, experienced, and unemployed Americans, so I'd say you'll have a hard time getting anyone to sponsor you, unless you have some sort of personal connection to the company.
    I think getting visas for Canada can be easier- would you consider that?

Advertisement