Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manufacturers warranty when buying second-hand

Options
  • 01-04-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi there. Basically I'm looking to buy a second hand monitor and from the date of purchase there was a three years manufacturers warranty applied to it.

If I get proof of purchase (the invoice/receipt) from the seller, can I as the second owner use that invoice/receipt to claim against the warranty if required in the future? Or is the warranty voided as I'm purchasing the item second hand?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

The warranty is for the equipment so you will be grand once you can prove date of purchase. Does not apply for extended warranties as they usually have to be registered to the buyer within a certain time to be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

It depends.

Legally you don't have any rights with the original retailer, as you didn't buy it from them. Practically however you might most likely be alright if you have the original proof of purchase (from the retailer to the seller you are buying it from).

With a manufacturers warranty, it depends on what is written in the warranty. It might be for the original buyer only or might be transferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Some manufacturers also require you register the warranty with them within eg. 30 days of the original purchase date or else it's not valid. A warranty is a promise by the manufacturer and is additional to your statutory rights so they can set their own rules on how it operates.

Advertisement