Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail

Options
  • 01-04-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

I presume ye got the april fools joke email from finn mcDuffie about google motion replacing the hotmail system, anyway, why dont they replace hotmail?
    anyone else find it the most counter productive, counter intuitive, and just awful email client there is? seriously, its the worst,multiple pop up windows, more pop up windows, constant drop down menu's its awful

how much did ul get off microsoft for using hotmail id love to know, alot of my lectures dont even use the hotmail accounts and instead ask them to email them at gmail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

Yep, I just redirect all mail to UL folder in my personal email account. The only time I log into hotmail any more is to send messages to lecturers.

The fact that Chrome can't download any attachments properly drove me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Web client for Outlook is okay, not great.
    All my lecturers use it, it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

Nagoh wrote: »
    Yep, I just redirect all mail to UL folder in my personal email account. The only time I log into hotmail any more is to send messages to lecturers.

same, but id love to not have to hack hotmail to send int my gmail just to have some sort of decent email service, point is shouldnt we be using a better service to begin with, 3 heads of ITD and all 3 are happy with hotmail? gtfo noone uses hotmail and there is a reason why

Web client for Outlook is okay, not great.
    All my lecturers use it, it's fine.

ya students have to use hotmail. my pointis why, its a terrible web client, should be on something better to be fair, i mean your telling me just cos your lectures use it its ok? everyone knows hotmail is as outdated as aol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Im sure its all part of the enterprise package UL would of got from Dell & Micro$oft back in the day....

easily solved by forwarding everything to your gmail, i havent looked at my ul hotmail since ive started, all goes to gmail and in turn pushed to iphone instantly !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

I honestly couldn't care less, I've never really had any issues with the current one. I mean I guess it's not perfect, but really, pop up windows and drop down menus don't bother me an awful lot. It sends and receives emails, what more do you want...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

iPwnage wrote: »
    Im sure its all part of the enterprise package UL would of got from Dell & Micro$oft back in the day....

easily solved by forwarding everything to your gmail, i havent looked at my ul hotmail since ive started, all goes to gmail and in turn pushed to iphone instantly !

Dell seems to win all the contracts for UL buying PCs. I love to see the quotations when the request goes out to tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Jagle wrote: »
    everyone knows hotmail is as outdated as aol
    No, they don't, but exaggerate all you want.

And Outlook != Hotmail, the web clients for both are quite different.

No, they don't, but exaggerate all you want.

And Outlook != Hotmail, the web clients for both are quite different.

your joking, you actually use and like hotmail? come on, that thing couldnt be more outdated and awful to use, its user interface is terribly designed, cramped, slow, unresponsive

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Had no problem with the old system, surprised they're changing it so late in the semester.

• Advertisement

Skyrim wrote: »
    Had no problem with the old system, surprised they're changing it so late in the semester.

ya the old system while it looked like a windows 95 machine, least it wasnt as awful as hotmail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The system you guys use is Outlook NOT Hotmail. Log into a normal Hotmail account and check the difference.

The reasoning behind it is the extra functionality, mainly the SkyDrive. It also syncs with the Outlook system used by staff so you can search the address book. This also means all I need is an ID number and to hit ctrl+k and your name pops up.

It's pretty much outlook online and is much better than what was in place before September with the 10mb inbox limit.

ninty9er wrote: »
    The system you guys use is Outlook NOT Hotmail. Log into a normal Hotmail account and check the difference.

The reasoning behind it is the extra functionality, mainly the SkyDrive. It also syncs with the Outlook system used by staff so you can search the address book. This also means all I need is an ID number and to hit ctrl+k and your name pops up.

It's pretty much outlook online and is much better than what was in place before September with the 10mb inbox limit.

saying its much better then what was in place before hand is like saying cancer is better then aids

Very true, that thing was awful to wrestle with.

Good point on the Hotmail/Outlook difference, I actually have close to 0 experience with the former, it's the only major email service I don't have an account on I believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

erm I know myself and quite a few others didnt know it was a prank.Shouldnt there have been another email sent out saying that it was a prank as for the most part it is quite a convincing reason and message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Yeah man, I know. I was wholly convinced that I'd have to wave my hands at my computer to send simple messages too. They were far too subtle imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Complaining about your outlook account deserves nothing more than a few posts in the 'Official bitch about daily life in UL' thread.

Its own thread? not a chance! (probably wasn't the OP's intention but it is turning into a 'hotmail bitch' thread.)

Ninety9er answered the original question of why Outlook;

The email from the SU was a prank (The fact it was from the SU was the first giveaway!). If you lacked the observational abilities and/or were gullible enough not to pick up on it being a prank then following the links would eventually lead you to the message from Google telling you its a prank. Failing that then this thread has informed you it was a prank.

I think this thread has served its purpose. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Nagoh wrote: »

Is that why I can't download some of my notes? I get a weird ".ashx" file when I try to download some attachments on my laptop.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Is that why I can't download some of my notes? I get a weird ".ashx" file when I try to download some attachments on my laptop.

Aye. The workaround is to rightclick the attachment, 'Save Link As', and save it to wherever. Be sure to change the 'save as type' to 'all files', and include the extension in the saved file name (If you are trying to save a word document "Assigment 1", be sure to add ".doc" to the file name, otherwise it will be saved as a generic file.)

You can fix any ashx files by renaming them to include the original extension of the file you tried to download. Remove the '.ashx' extension if it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Can anyone help me with the settings for forwarding the email to thunderbird?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement