Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Kindles in Bricks & Mortar?

Options
  • 01-04-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

Need one quickly...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

PC World have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Took a look at their website they don't have them listed there but will take a trip to Limerick in the morning to try, thanks.

PC World and Curry's both have them, thanks for the help, picked one up this morning, €149.99 though...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ch750536 wrote: »
    PC World and Curry's both have them, thanks for the help, picked one up this morning, €149.99 though...
    That's a good price tbh.

As someone who has been searching for a few weeks to pick one up for the girlfriend, it's €125 delivered from Amazon UK (but they'll only deliver to a UK address) and about €142 delivered from Amazon US who'll take 2 - 3 weeks to get it here.

The WiFi+3G model (€199.99) are readily available in PC World & Curry's.... the WiFi only model (€149.99) is tougher to get.

Though they got a hefty delivery of WiFi models on Wednesday/Thursday AFAIK.

Picked one up in PC World Sligo yesterday for girlfriend.. very nice little device. Didn't realise you could access e-mail and play MP3's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,160 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Got the missus one of these last Xmas and she says she would never go back to books again. So it's highly recommended.

Got it from Amazon UK but just to note that downloads are from Amazon US only.

• Advertisement

Oddly enough the wifi only version was 'out of stock' in PC world until the chap in Curry's checked their stock for them, they had 22 it seems. When I returned to PC world he then found them on a shelf out the back.
    They did have the more expensive 3g ones though...

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mickredirl

The kindle with the wifi only is very popular... Dixons in duty free at dublin airport they sell the kindle wifi for only 127 euro!! and the one with 3g + wifi 180 euro.

I am just so sorry I did not buy one when I was passing through Duty free :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

I was thinking of getting the wifi only one.
    Am I a fool to not spend to extra 50euro for the wifi + 3g one?

I was thinking of getting the wifi only one.
    Am I a fool to not spend to extra 50euro for the wifi + 3g one?
    I certainly don't think so..

.. I mean you're only going to be using 3G to download a book on the go. It's not like you'll be updating your Facebook / Twitter etc on it. I mean you can, but you've a phone for stuff like that.

If you load up a bundle of books on a Kindle when on WiFi, you'll never be short of reading material.

I think the extra €50 for the 3G chip for a device like this is madness.

Just my opinion though.

I just bought a white coloured kindle 3g+wifi from amazon.com and had it sent to a friends house over in america...

The cost of the kindle by doing that is 150 euro were if I get Amazon to sent it to me it cost about 215 euro including american taxes, custom's excise duty and postage!!

My friend is sending it by registered post for 10 dollars (6 euro) !!! Yea can't go wrong :-) There is always away :-)

Brill :-)

• Advertisement

mickredirl wrote: »
    My friend is sending it by registered post for 10 dollars (6 euro) !!! Yea can't go wrong :-) There is always away :-)
    Just be hopeful it isn't intercepted by customs! ;)

And if it's using registered post, there's probably a good chance it will be. It'll be another €50 (including An Post's €5 to collect the fee).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Go for the 3g if you can as it gives free internet (slow/experimental application) which is handy because you can use it anywhere basically, allows you to check/send emails etc. Probably not as big a ticket item if you have a fancy phone that can do that for you.
    Bought one from the states for the missus (friend brought it back) and it fundamentally changes the whole concept of purchasing paper books, she never leaves it down...

Hi Basq

Custom's won't get or see it as a friend of mine who lives over in the states, who I had Amazon sent it to is coming home for two weeks.. With my white 3g+wifi KINDLE...... Happy Days :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Maniacle

Hey, I dont really understand what the 3g is.. is it like free internet? I want to buy a kindle next week and im debating between the two and while I know about Wi-Fi and how to connect to the internet through that etc I dont get the aspect of 3g?

As far as I knew 3g was for phones? Am I going to have to join a network or something??? :confused:

Terribly confused :o:o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You're halfway there, 3g is generally phones in my mind but Amazon have agreements with the various 3g broadcasters in various countries for free 3g access via their Kindle, you pay nothing, think of it more like internet access via your phone, same principle. THeir internet application is an added experimental feature and not something to substitute real 'PC' type access but fine for the odd time you're in the middle of nowhere or bored at the in-laws. Being free 3g means you can download a book from the Amazon website in literally seconds (from anywhere, your house, travelling in the car, on the beach, in the woods etc etc) so this is why Amazon have that feature.

Advertisement