Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'For whom the bell tolls-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Sat 30th April. Week 4 Day 6.
    BHAA RTE 5 Mile.
    4.93mls in 33:39. Avg 6:49.
    Mile Pace- 7:06, 6:52, 6:52, 6:46, 6:30.
    After the K-Club a couple of weeks ago I was a bit apprehensive about this morning. I'd have been happy to hit 7min/mls and this was the initial plan. But a big field meant a fair amount of congestion over the first mile so I had to chase the clock to get the pace back. After 3 mile I was clocking just under 7 for the overall pace. Feeling fairly good I began to pick people off one by one. I decided to see fast I could run the last mile so at the 4 mile mark I hit the lap button. Was pleased to see the pace pick up a fair amount. Felt strong over the latter stages and continued to pick people off. Very happy with the splits and banishes the K-Club 10k to a bad day at the office.
    Only problem is the achilles tendon is still sore. I'll give it a rest for a few days and hope that sorts it out.
    Next up is the Sportsworld 5 in a couple of weeks which, if the tendon is better, I'll give it a good go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

A nice easy progression run.
    Good stuff :D

Fri 6th May
    5.3mls easy fartlek.
    First run this week, between exams and giving the ankle a rest to see if it improve. Tonight was just a few strides and a few steady bits of 3 - 4 mins to bridge over to next Monday for phase 2.

Sat 7th May.
    10.45mls in 93:43. Avg 8:58.
    Longest run in a while. Feeling a bit flat and the achilles got sore towards the end, iced it when I got home. Rest tomorrow and start phase 2 on Monday.

Mon 9th May.
    10.26mls in 90mins. Avg 8:46.
    Dropped the faster stuff for a long easy run this evening, the achilles is still playing up. Iced when I go home. This is becoming a pain, really messing up my plans.

• Advertisement

Tues 10th May.
    8.55mls in 72:14. Avg 8:27.
    Wanted to go to 10 miles again tonight but the digestive system had another idea. The achilles is still playing up but not getting any worse, iced it again for about 15 minutes.

Wed 11th May.
    3.25mls in 29:08. Avg 8:57.
    Legs dead, quads sore, cut my losses and bunked out. Put it down as a recovery run. Iced the achilles when I got home, seems to be improving slowly.

Thurs 12th May.
    10mls in 86mins. Avg 8:35.

Easy
    Fri 13th May.
    3.53mls in 32:52. Avg 9:19.
    Thats it till Sundays race. Don't know how I'll approach this race. The problem with my achilles put all my plans out so everything has to be revised. I'll think about it between now and 10am on Sunday.

Sun 15th May.
    Sportsworld 5 mile in 34:16. Avg 6:50.
    6:40, 6:38, 6:51, 6:50, 7:16.
    Awful race for me this morning. Decided to have a crack at this so the plan was to keep the pace between 6:35 and 6:40, worked for 2 miles:rolleyes:. I was dying over mile 3 and the last mile seemed endless, against the breeze and slightly uphill. What went wrong? I don't know. The legs felt a bit heavy when I got up this morning but after a good warmup I was feeling alot better and over the first couple of miles I was enjoying it, but it was downhill with the breeze.
    Where from here? Because of the problem with my achilles tendon I've decided no fast stuff in training for a while. I'm going to build a base and the have a 12 week run in to the half in Sept, although after this morning my goals may have changed for it. I've only planned for two more road races before the half, the 5 and 10 mile. I might do the BHAA track races as well over the summer.
    Still shocked at how poor the last three miles were.
    Edit- beaten by an over 70. I quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

We all have bad days Ger - we just have to write it down to experience and move on..

Many people [me included!] could kill for that sub 35 run :)

• Advertisement

Mon 16th May.
    10mls in 90mins. Avg 9min/ml.
    A long jog in the wind and rain.

Tues 17th May
    8.16mls in 72:40. Avg 8:54.

Wed 18th May.
    Rest

Thurs 19th May.
    10mls in 82:42. Avg 8:13.

Fri 20th May.
    5mls in 48:21. Avg 9:42.

Sat 21st May.
    Rest

Sun 22nd May.
    6mls in 53:32. Avg 8:56.

39mls this week. Achilles still stopping me from running fast.

Mon 23rd May.
    7.28mls in 67:53. Avg 9:19.
    Tired, no motivation. A cold, windy evening didn't help the mood.

Thurs 26th May.
    6.83mls in 58:38. Avg 8:35.
    Felt much better this evening. Met the lads in Marley. Was doing an easy run with memo while the other three were doing mile intervals. Joined in for two for the craic @ 7:15 and 6:43 pace. The 6:43 felt surprisingly easy. I'll have to try make Marley on Thursdays, go to do this kind of session with others.
    I think the couple of days off did alot of good. I'll have to start cutting down on the days I'm trying to run per week.
    Wore my new supernova's this evening, very different to the GT2150's, the jurys out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

gerard65 wrote: »
    I think the couple of days off did alot of good. I'll have to start cutting down on the days I'm trying to run per week.
    Wore my new supernova's this evening, very different to the GT2150's, the jurys out.

I agree with the quality more than quantity, recovery is more important for me as I get older.

Also changed to supernova's a while ago from ASICs. Have put nearly 600 miles on them since and don't want to throw them out yet.

Mon 30th May
    10.2mls in 83:49. Avg 8:13

Wed 1st June.
    10mls in 88:36. Avg 8:51.
    Inc. 5 x 1200.

Fri 3rd June.
    5.1mls in 40:58. Avg 8:03.
    Progression run - 8:59, 8:27, 7:55, 7:46, 7:15.

Sun 5th June.
    11mls in 88:27. Avg 8:03.
    Feeling the luv today:D

Fairly good week. The day on, day off is the way to go atm. Liking the supernova's alot, never took Adidas shoes seriously but they feel good on my feet.

Tues 7th June
    10.17mls in 81:11. Avg 7:59
    Hilly run.

Fri 10th June.
    9.34mls in 71:02. Avg 7:36.
    Inc. 2x2mile tempo.

Sun 12th June.
    9.97mls in 81:51. Avg 8:13.
    Wet and cold run.

Tues 14th June.
    10.35mls in 85:44. Avg 8:17.
    Started slow and finished fast.

Thurs 16th June
    BHAA Trinity Track Race's
    800m-2:33, 1 mile-5:48, 3k-forgot to stop the watch and no offical times on the website yet but well over 12mins.
    Great night again in college park. In the 8 I was going well in 3rd or 4th till the last 300m when I began to die and others started streaming passed, but was happy enough as I've done zero fast running in training.
    The mile brought me back years, stuck into a good position throughout the first 2 laps on the shoulder of the leaders - very slow pace which suited me, but alot of bunching and pushing, but I'm well able to look after myself. The last two laps were taken by a guy who wasn't hanging around anymore, tried to chase him and get back on his shoulder but had'nt got the legs, was passed for second on the final back straight but dug in deep and regained 2nd for the finish. Slow time but I was delighted with the race.
    3k - nothing to see here, move along now:pac: A 3k 10 mins after a mile race, you've got to love the optimism.
    Legs are still shattered so I've scrapped my planned run for today.
    I've decided that after the lotto series in the park I'll concentrate on the shorter stuff, XC in the winter and shorter track/road 5ks next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

gerard65 wrote: »
    I've decided that after the lotto series in the park I'll concentrate on the shorter stuff, XC in the winter and shorter track/road 5ks next year.
    Thinking about having a crack at some of the XC races myself this year, always thought it looked like fun. :)

You were very impressive in the mile and it was a great race to watch as each lap quickened. You definitely have some track skills.

Thinking about having a crack at some of the XC races myself this year, always thought it looked like fun. :)
    Do. The BHAA XC races are 2m/2.5 for the women so you've nothing to lose. A old pair of runners and Bob's your uncle.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    You were very impressive in the mile and it was a great race to watch as each lap quickened. You definitely have some track skills.
    I enjoy racing rather than just running against the clock. Get much more of a buzz from it and you've got to actually think your way around rather running robotically.

Mon 20th June
    5mls in 38:32. Avg 7:52.
    Progression run - 8:58, 8:01, 7:54, 7:22, 6:58.

Tues 21st June
    3.4mls very easy

Sun 26th June
    3.5mls very easy

Tired, heavy legged this week. Was meant to start a 12 week half marathon plan this week, but I need to drop next week, just too tired. I've gone back on my diary and hopefully I've spotted why I keep going flat. I'll take next week easy.

Mon 27th June-Sun 3rd July
    6 x 25mins - 35mins. Very easy.
    Been very tired over the last few weeks and I was due my annual med checkup, so got it done. Was a bit worried because of been so tired but thankfully everything turned out fine, so when all else was elimated my tiredness had to be down to over-training. I'm giving the hard training and racing a break for a while. The only races I've entered is the lotto series so I'll take the three races handy. I'll continue easy training for a couple of months and make the XC races after the New Year my aim. Means I'll miss the rest of the track and the start of the XC season but it means the pressure is off and I can start enjoying running. I've already starting feeling alot better towards the end of the week and the last couple of runs this weekend have been enjoyable.
    20 miles this week in total and much the same next week.

Mon 4th July - Sun 10th July
    7 x 3 - 5 miles jogging. Still struggling but feeling a little better this week. Sleeping better and the general mood has lifted. Hard to be patient but will need a few more weeks of easy running.
    28 miles for the week.

Mon 11th July - Sunday 17th July.
    All 5's this week. Took Friday as a rest day bringing a 15 day in a row to an end.
    Sat. Irish Runner 5 mile in 34:11. Overall POS-368. CAT. POS-23.
    Splits 6:45, 6:41, 6:30, 6:52, 7:17.
    Happy with this after a few weeks of very light training still able to knock out a sub 35. Initially I was going to keep this a 7 min/ml but after having Friday off I was feeling good on Saturday morning and decided to test myself. Cruising for the first 3 miles with still a bit left in the tank, but the achilles started getting sore, a problem for a while now, so I was afraid the run the hills over the last 2 miles hard.
    Generally feeling much better this week but I'm keeping my training easy and building back slowly.

Nice time even regardless of setbacks. How you finding the running nearly every day approach mixed with easier running?

Woddle wrote: »
    Nice time even regardless of setbacks. How you finding the running nearly every day approach mixed with easier running?
    Its OK running everyday as long as some of the days are very slow, 9:30min/ml:pac:. I'd say the body adjusts to it after a while, becomes a habit, but recovery runs must be recovery runs, in the past I was doing these way too fast, a major part of my problem.

Mon 18th July - Sun 24th July
    Mon - 5.13mls easy
    Tues - 6.47 easy fartlek
    Wed - 5mls easy
    Thur - 6mls steady
    Fri - 4mls v.easy
    Sat - 4mls easy
    Sun - 6.38mls steady.
    Total - 37mls. Still going to plan but the achilles is still a bit tight/sore so still icing it. Very tempted to do the mile next week but it does'nt fit with the plan anymore so I'll have to be strong and leave it.:pac:

Mon 25th July - Sun 31st July

Mon - 5.9mls
    Tues - 6.3mls
    Wed - 6.4mls Fartlek
    Thurs - 8.8mls
    Fri - 3.1mls
    Sat - 10.1mls
    Sun - 3.5mls

44 miles this week, 150 for the month. Very happy with this month, one of my biggest ever. Still very slow miles - 8:30-9:30min/mls. The achilles is still not right but only seems to give problems on hills. Not that easy to find flat routes around here so alot of my training is laps of the football fields. Same story for next week.

• Advertisement

Mon 1st Aug - Sun 7th Aug

Mon - 8mls
    Tue - 7.9mls
    Wed - 5.1mls
    Thur - 8mls
    Fri - Off
    Sat - 10.3mls
    Sun - Off

This week was going well until yesterdays run in the park. We went up the hill out off the Glen near the end of the run when the Achilles began to act up. Sore again today so decided to rest up again. I think I'd be better taking a few days off if needed to get it sorted rather than it drag into the XC season as I'm still base building. Mornings is when its very sore but loosens out after a while so I'll wait till I can walk down the stairs and not hobble.

Advertisement